• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your favorite train simulator?

What is your preferred train simulator?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
When I first got my copy of MSTS (a few years ago now) I thought that no other train simulator could possibly come close nor compare to what MSTS had to offer.

Then I discovered BVE, and my opinions of MSTS started to change, especially as BVE had many UK routes and trains to offer with such a high level of accuracy.

I would like to get an idea of which you prefer, if not which one you use the most.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

wheres TRS2004, and Simsig, There both Train Simulators ;)

Out of those 2 it will have to be BVE4, Because the recent Maybank and 158 Release. Although saying that, MSTS has some good routes, good Cabs Good Stock and Brilliant Sounds.

Coxster

Established Member
If it's BVE4, then BVE. If it's BVE2, then MSTS. I am a keen fan of both sims.

jdjonnay

When BVE goes 3D I'll consider changing my oppinions, but for the moment I'm set on MSTS.

To be honest I hardly play either at all any more, but MSTS still comes first ;)

Jon

evil_hippo

But the price... That is the big difference. The only thing that I con commend MSTS for is the external views, which give some stunning views.

Nick

I was orignially die hard BVE fan until I began down the GCR, after really develeoping my taste for steam there snothing more fun than driving a BATs steamer on a fantastic detailed route for msts (SVR anyone :D)

Met Driver

Established Member
The fact that it features so many things MSTS doesn't, like fully-working safety equipment, realistic track sounds and working windscreen wipers, makes BVE the more advanced simulator IMO.

And the reason why BVE doesn't feature an external view?

It's a CAB VIEW simulator!

Nick

setttt said:
The fact that it features so many things MSTS doesn't, like fully-working safety equipment, realistic track sounds and working windscreen wipers, makes BVE the more advanced simulator IMO.

Yes I know, I have been playing bve for a while now, but i've recently converted back to msts because 'i prefer the old kinda thing'

Lesjordans

I would say BVE, because it has very good physics,eg it goes to one side if you take a corner fast, MSTS just takes the corner like a model railway

evil_hippo

setttt said:

What does that tell us? That a cab view-plus-a-bit-more simulator is superior to a cab view simulator! So MSTS still wins on that, but little else. I think particularly of amatuer routes you can download for MSTS which have so much scope to be dodgy, and custom trains which are so often reskins of existing trains with the same cabview, like KHIA 31s being turned into DMUs.

Craig

Established Member
Out of those two I would choose BVE. However, I also use Rail3D quite a bit too.

Coxster

Established Member
I'd also like to add that when it comes to steam, MSTS is better as you have cylinder cocks, proper regulator, running break, ability to be fireman etc, something that BVE lacks!

Guinness

Established Member
I'd have to go with BVE - Mainly because it takes ages for the MSTS route to get started. They both have advantages. MSTS had external views and proper 3D while BVE has a good train physics (as said before) and safety equipment especially with the new .dll files by Simon G. I like Maybank and classic routes such as X-City and Hammerwich on BVE but I love proper London routes on MSTS. :)

I don't play on MSTS much so that would of made my choice go to BVE. :)

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
I'd have to go with BVE - Mainly because it takes ages for the MSTS route to get started.
Unless of course you store the unwanted routes using TrainStore ;)

Alstom1995/6

I used to like msts, but then I found bve and just lost interest with msts. I also co created the 1995 stock for bve 4 and that was great fun. Though I have to say there are still some things i'd like to see for Bve4.

I must admit, after the release of Vern Moorhouse's Blackpool Tramway, i did reload MSTS onto my system, as I've always loved the Blackpool Trams!
However as my collection grew larger and larger with extra routes and traction, it was literally taking over my HD!
Then I kept getting loads of error messages about .wag and .eng files not being found from stuff I'd downloaded.

The final straw was when I was happily driving from Blackpool North towards Preston (NWE v2 - excellent!) when MSTS decided it wanted to crash with a 'send error' message.

So although I have now uninstalled all of my MSTS stuff again, I will probably reload it again in the future when another route is released that I want to drive (like the excellent-looking Great-Eastern route by Making Tracks).

To me, BVE will always be my favourite simply because of the realism, especially with the birth of BVE 4 and the excellent routes and trains made so far for it. The sounds are far superior, the physics and handling are far more realistic and even the drivers view is more realistic!
Mackoy seems to be constantly developing BVE, whereas MS have completely forgot they ever released a train sim!

MSTS has an advantage in that it is easy to create your own activities, so you can set up your own duties, driving the train either way on a route. BVE sadly can't allow that.

Anyway, to sum up (finally!) BVE wins!

jonb

Established Member
BVE Hands down just so more realistic sounds. I used to have MSTS as well however the constant crashing and freezing was just annoying and also the space issue.

Harold

I would say BVE although MSTS is still realistic with it's track textures and the fact that you can view your train from different angles, but I would have to say BVE, as it is more advanced because of it's AWS acknowlage, the fact that it's realistic when you run on different types of track, then the cab shakes about as it would do in real life, the fact that you have realistic window wipers, also the fact that the cab darkens when you go through a tunnel as it would do in real life, also the ability to switch headlights on and off and open and close doors!

MSTS is more of a model graphic simulator, as it's not realistic although performs good graphics, MSTS is not as good as BVE!

Harold

Guinness

Established Member
MSTS annoys me in a few ways...

- It crashes now and again
- Lack of Good Freeware routes
- Takes Ages to start up a route
- Derail if your 2mph over the speed limit
- No AWS etc.
- Lack of desent Train Physics

Other than that its a very good sim.

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
- It crashes now and again.
It is Microsoft ;)

Chaz said:
- Lack of Good Freeware routes.
Suppose.

Chaz said:
- Takes Ages to start up a route.
Use TrainStore to store routes you don't want to use at that particular time and MSTS is so much quicker!

Chaz said:
- Derail if your 2mph over the speed limit.
Depends on both the route and train. You could just turn derailments off.

Chaz said:
- No AWS etc.
Yeah. The only way you can do it is by ading a sound to the route.

Chaz said:
- Lack of desent Train Physics.
Some of the latest models seem to improved on the physics side, although still not as good as BVE's.

richa2002

Established Member
Seth said:

What's the point of comparing then. BVE is a cab sim and MSTS is an external and cab sim.

Guinness

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
Seth said:

What's the point of comparing then. BVE is a cab sim and MSTS is an external and cab sim.

Because they are both Train Simulators. ;)

Nathan

my favourite rail simulater has to be bve 4,

its easy and its free and downloadable. (i like seths opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.