What is your favourite station in the UK?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by RailFan89, 19 Dec 2019.

1. Peregrine 4903

Peregrine 4903 Member

London Kings Cross - Ever since the new concourse was opened and the square was opened up at the front of the station, the station and the surrounding area have become so nice. A lovely and unbeleivably grand station.

London Blackfriars is also a wonderful station, and the view over the River Thames is insane. Whoever decided to build the station over a river is a genius.

2. Grannyjoans

Grannyjoans Member

Barnetby, or at least in the days when it had semaphore signals

A station where freight outnumbers passenger. Definetely not as busy as it used to be though.

I also like that its in a quiet location and there aren't many people around on the station

Last edited: 28 Dec 2019
  3. Non Multi

Non Multi Member

The ironically named Brightside - I just love that it's closed, derelict and out in the open for all to see on the Hallam Line, proper ghost station.

Leamington Spa for its gorgeous platform garden and the Art Deco period waiting rooms.

4. Whistler40145

Whistler40145 Established Member

For me, it’s St Pancras International or King’s Cross

5. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Brightside was one of those where the pleasantness of the name is inversely proportional to the surrounding environment... Flowery Field and Rose Grove being similar!

6. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Wick is very similar to Thurso.

I like Birmingham Moor Street too.

7. STEVIEBOY1

Is that the Moor at Rannoch Hotel. I just looked at their website and it does look good.

8. marks87

marks87 Established Member

I raise you Coatbridge Sunnyside.

9. DerekC

DerekC Member

That's the one. From Euston on the sleeper, waking beside Loch Lomond, alight for breakfast at the Rannoch Hotel, at the end of the stay dinner and then the walk along to the station and wait for the lights of the sleeper coming down from Corrour - it's just magic!

10. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Denby Dale is among my favourites, at least for the location. I love the way it has both a very rural feel, but there's also the sounds of industry from the builder's yard on the old goods yard. The station itself is fairly basic these days (as is expected), but there's echoes of the past with the subway and former goods shed now occupied by the builders. Just a shame there's only an hourly service with usually poor rolling stock!

11. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

This is an unpopular opinion likely to get me shot, but I've never been overly fond of St Pancras. I mean it's certainly impressive, and awe inspiring. But I don't find it beautiful like Paddington, Temple Meads, or York. A big part of that could be my nostalgic bias however.

Also not a fan of how you have to walk into a different time zone to reach the Midland platforms, although I guess it can't be helped.

12. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

St Pancras to me is more like an airport - just full to the brim of "retail opportunities" and not the sort of place you want to hang around. And dilapidated old Euston is just as bad, as they won't let you on to the platforms (where there's nowhere to sit anyway) if your train's late the only option is to stand in the middle with 1000 others looking and feeling a right plank. Unless, of course, you want to sit in one of the pubs and cafes and spend.
    At least at Piccadilly you've a bit of a chance of finding a seat. No idea what the other London terminals are like?

13. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

I think Euston has a rather good concourse, albeit a bit cluttered these days.

14. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

Forgot about Manchester Piccadilly, that's another one of my favourites. As said before I adore Paddington, King's Cross is my second favourite London terminal, quite nice although the new concourse built to the side feels a bit too retaily for me. I've already given my opinion on St Pancras.

I hated Euston when I first visited it, although I have warmed up to it slightly, still wouldn't say I like it. Waterloo is quite nice, has a great roof and there's obviously the former Eurostar terminal. I quite like Victoria as well, very busy but still seems to remember it's heritage. It's unique as it's essentially two stations acting as the main terminals for Southern and Southeastern.

I really like Marylebone. Smaller than most of the other stations although it's quite pretty. I find the new Blackfriars quite nice and airy being situated on a bridge over the Thames. The rest of the London terminals I either haven't spent enough time at to form an opinion of (Charing Cross, London Bridge) or find too unremarkable to mention (sorry Fenchurch Street fans).

That was rather long! Apologies if I rambled.

15. Geoff DC

Geoff DC Member

Far away station has to be Paddington, even before you get into the train Shed you can feel the change on the escalators up from the darkest depths of despondency - suddenly its all Cornish, Welsh & Western English with humour smiles & good manners.

Even though its another 5 hrs plus to get home to Penzance it has a feel of home you don't get anywhere else in London

16. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Yes, when I reach Euston I feel as though I'm almost home, although 2hrs 10 is a bit of a shorter ride than yours!

17. Mike99

Mike99 Member

I know what you mean, it might be the Victoria Line but from one of those platforms the whole walk up to the gateline for the EMR trains, is a long way, possibly worth booking a cab for!!!!

18. gaillark

gaillark Member

Kettering.
    Lots of original features and lovely glass and iron canopies.
    Station spoilt very recently by electrification works and new footbridge which is just bog standard network rail design rather than blending it with the victorian feel of the station.

19. Revaulx

Revaulx Member

Apology not needed!

Euston’s platforms have always been nasty, but for the first 15 or so years of its life the Great Hall was really nice. It then got wrecked by being cluttered up with “retail units” and has never really recovered.

I agree about Piccadilly, though I presume you don’t have to use 13 & 14 very often ;)

20. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

I visited Kettering for the first time earlier this month. Lovely station.

21. gaillark

gaillark Member

20150326_115519.jpg
    I stayed at the next station ...Corrour at the station house overlooking the railway a few years ago. The former signal box was not yet converted into accommodation. Great location and views. Arrived and departed on the sleeper from Euston. Quite novel to stick your arm out and hail down the train hoping it will stop. 20150326_115519.jpg
    Rannoch Moor hotel is also great so I will agree with you Derek.

22. STEVIEBOY1

Not a problem, I agree with your comments. Moving slightly away, I noticed in I think the Daily Telegraph yesterday, there was a picture of a waiting room at Bridlington, (which when I went through it on a steam special, looked quite nice) It had a lot of old railway memorabilia, but the room may be closing down, I hope the memorabilia will find a new home.

I Like Waterloo and Marylebone.

23. Llandudno

Llandudno Member

Yep!

This is Lancaster, this is Lancaster...
    Change here for Bare Lane and Morecambe
    Change here for Carnforth and all stations to Barrow in Furness, Askham and Millom.

I remember the 1980s announcements well!

24. satisnek

satisnek Member

If we're talking larger stations, then I'll give a shout out for Derby. Nothing special from an architectural point of view, even though the 1980s station building is quite stylish in its own way. But I think it really scores with its ample platform coverings, toilets on each platform and general clean and tidy presentation. I can't speak for on-station retail outlets because I never use them (I have an aversion to being ripped off), but there's a convenience store, a chippy and some ace pubs in the immediate vicinity.
    Nottingham had one a couple of years back...

25. Mike99

Mike99 Member

For all the wrong reasons that really made me laugh

26. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

Me too, but I think Penrith had a more controlled example in the waiting room a couple of years ago.