• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your favourite station in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Rannoch.

Remote, ultra-beautiful surroundings, amazing hotel to stay at in the middle of the largest wilderness in the UK .. and a direct service to London!

PeterC

Established Member
As an all time favourite I have to go for Broad Street for its air of decayed grandeur in its later years. Most stations these days seem to be disguised as mini shopping malls, or as a full sized one in the case of St Pancras.

mrcheek

Established Member
Mines has to be Birmingham New Street.

I would honestly have to say that Birmingham New Street would be my least favourite!

Favourite is probably London Paddington.
For smaller stations, Kyle of Localsh

Deepgreen

Established Member
View attachment 71752

And this from the hotel dining room at breakfast time a few years ago:
Indeed - I stayed at the hotel last February and arrived on the sleeper. The owner came down to the platform and greeted us by name to carry our bags (even though I and my travelling companion were far bigger than him!) and we then had a huge breakfast. Nowhere else - wonderful!

gg1

Established Member
As an all time favourite I have to go for Broad Street for its air of decayed grandeur in its later years.

In my teenage 'spotting days in the late 80s I was always quite partial to Rugby for similar reasons. While it never fell into anywhere near the level of disrepair of Broad Street, it did feel to me like something of a relic with it's slowly rusting but very atmospheric LNWR trainshed. As I type I can almost hear the creaking of the station signs hanging from the roof as they swayed in the breeze.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I don't really have a favourite station, however I was very fond of Liverpool Street before rebuilding. I remember the famous alarm/klaxon sounding as trains arrived on the eastern side suburban platforms and Class 47's on the Cambridge's and Norwich's

Then it was Clapham Junction for it's variety of rolling stock and inter-regional workings along with Dover Marine with its large trainshed, boat trains, van trains and a walk out along the Admiralty Pier if you could stay upright during stormy weather. I spent time fishing from there too

Leaving aside sentimental considerations, stations with nice pubs always strike a chord; for overall things to enjoy, you could go further and fare worse than Tynemouth metro station. Good architecture, huge glass roof, pub, places to eat, flea market and occasional book markets.

xotGD

Established Member
Marylebone has a nice old-school feel about it. And is served by proper trains.

BucksBones

If Broad Street is allowed then I have to say the Manchester Victoria of yesteryear, pre-arena. It was pretty grubby towards the end but so evocative of a bygone era. I adored it. They could do with all those extra platforms now!

BucksBones

As regards favourite stations now from a passenger's POV, which is probably what the OP is getting at, I would say one that is well designed for passenger flow allowing easy entrance and exit to/from platforms without too much congestion, that has a good culture of keeping passengers informed (plenty of staff on the shop floor as well), plentiful facilities for buying tickets without long queues and announcing platforms as early as possible to avoid a scrum. Good retail facilities also a bonus.

Er....

Anyone.....?

Edit: I have found the new London Bridge quite user-friendly the few times I've used it.

Karl

On Moderation
Braystones and Nethertown are my current favourites. Especially the walk along the beach between the two. Peace!

AM9

Veteran Member
For the best view in London, I think that Blackfriars is hard to beat. Elsewhere, I also found Hebden Bridge quite welcoming and attractive.

GoneSouth

Upstairs at ST Pancras at the London end of the platforms

Great pub as well in the SE corner !!!
Funny how times change, I remember the pub in the corner of St Pancras back in the nineties and it wasn’t very nice! Full of “interesting” characters .

bearhugger

Carlisle Citadel for me. Bright and spacious, with a reasonable variety of TOC's, FOC's and charters. It's a short walk into the city centre for your choice of food etc. The pub (301 Miles From London) does a cracking bacon bun and the little tuc tuc thats does coffee near the exit is good too.

Mikey C

Established Member
York takes a lot of beating. Beautiful architecture AND the York Tap right on the platforms!

uvarvu

I really like Denmark Hill, would have loved to have seen what the station was like before the pub took over most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.