• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What kind of car do you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Hmmm...IIRC; USD $2.57 is roughly GBP £1.03 at todays exchange rates, which is around about what we're paying for unleaded in S.E. England at the moment. Are ye sure that Barack Obama hasn't simply handed responsibility for US fuel taxes over to HM Customs and Excise just to shift the whole affair away from the White House? :lol:

Death, he's referring to $2.57 a gallon, not a litre!!! The USA don't know the meaning of the words Fuel Tax!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Think you'll find that car doesn't exist, do you mean a Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst S, Vauxhall Astra VXR Nurburgring (200bhp 1.9 CDTi), or the Vectra VXR? :p

I don't drive, but my dad's got a Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Zetec, doesn't half shift for a 90bhp diesel. :D

Mate at work has got a Astra Mk2 GTE, very quick, sounds great too, another's got a Focus ST, goes like the clappers and sounds amazing to boot. Another mate's got a Vectra 2.0, planning an "upgrade" to an Monaro 5.7 (or 6.0/VXR). :D

Considering he mentioned 'Nuremberg', I would say he meant the Astra. They are quite rare to be honest, and expensive. But, they are very fast. There is one in Manchester - it's got a personalised plate so everyone knows exactly who it is when they see it. :lol:

The nicest looking car at present is easily the Volkswagen Sicorro Caractere <D http://www.motorauthority.com/conte...ctere_volkswagen_sirocco_002-0307-950x650.jpg

Death

Established Member
Death, he's referring to $2.57 a gallon, not a litre!!! The USA don't know the meaning of the words Fuel Tax!!
Oh, good point...How could I forget that! :shock:
(Although for the record, fuel is sold there by the U.S. Gallon, which - From my recollection of my trip around the U.S. in January 2007CE - Is roughly four metric litres or so. That still works out to about 40p a litre though! :shock::))

Just out of personal curiosity though: One other thing that I recall is that nearly every vehicle I saw filling up seemed to be using petrol (Gasolene) - Even buses, coaches and HGVs. I'm sure that I saw diesel pumps in garages when I was over there...But though petrol is well suited to cars and motorcycles, why do they also (Seemingly) use it for larger vehicles like buses when diesel (Given it's lower engine wear, higher power and better safety factor) would be a much more sensible option? :?:

Teaboy1

What an absolute shambles of motoring misery models!! :cry::cry:
...Vectra...Clio....Nissan....:(:(

only saved by a Focus ST170 and Seat V5 .....the erst of you ...hang your collective heads in shame...!!!:o:o
Tut...tut...tut....

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Considering he mentioned 'Nuremberg', I would say he meant the Astra. They are quite rare to be honest, and expensive. But, they are very fast. There is one in Manchester - it's got a personalised plate so everyone knows exactly who it is when they see it. :lol:

The nicest looking car at present is easily the Volkswagen Sicorro Caractere <D http://www.motorauthority.com/conte...ctere_volkswagen_sirocco_002-0307-950x650.jpg

No i did mean vauxhall vectra vxr nuremberg but there Was only one made for show only,no affense i have never Been a fan of astra vxr.

william

Established Member
£1 or 2 Aus dollar per litre of petrol . I suppose I'm going to get a load of stick for it (because I usually do, cars in this country are like a religion, either way I don't care, I'm not responding this conversation has been had elsewhere on this forum) but you don't really need a car in the UK unless you live in a very rural area if you are sensible about a number of choices you make. I know plenty of people without cars, they manage just fine. It's people's choice to have one, but I believe they should have a choice not to have one and save on the £6133 of annual running costs, or £118 per week. (RAC figures)

The reason I don't have one is because I can't afford one, I'd have to be earning well in excess of £35k to consider buying another one as a half decent car takes up such a substantial part of your income.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2007/06/motorists-count-cost-of-keeping-a-car-116014.jsp

Erm,......no i'll leave it;)

Established Member
i drive a Lamborghini Superleggra.....In Forza Motorsport 2... Ill get my Coat

william

Established Member
SEAT Toledo. If one buys one be aware, the kick plates turn into mini ballast tanks when it rains, much to the misery of my shoes.

Before that a Pug 306, very old model, 1.6 petrol, 1993, but god i loved it. Great engine.

before that 1.3 fiesta encore, another canny little car, great handling.

before that........dinosaurs:p

william

Established Member
Unfortunately mine got wrote off too:-x

Twocers used a crowbar to rip open the door and smashed the sterring column whilst trying to break the steering lock. What a mess it was.:|

Established Member
Twocers used a crowbar to rip open the door and smashed the sterring column whilst trying to break the steering lock. What a mess it was.:|

Sounds it, my brother crashed ours into the back of a crisp van, it was a low speed collision, so there wasn't much damage, but it twisted the chassis and the car had to be written off.

Mind you, it did look odd, because of the bar on the back of the van, so the lights were smashed, the bonnet was crumpled a bit and the grill was cracked, but the front bumper was completely intact.

Doorslammer

lol, I win :lol:

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

24jan2007-1.jpg

Daily driven too, or at least for as long as I can afford the fuel... :D

SouthEastern-465

Established Member

only saved by a Focus ST170 and Seat V5 .....the erst of you ...hang your collective heads in shame...!!!:o:o
Tut...tut...tut....

What do you mean these are shambles and misery we all Like diffrent things and have our own opinion,I only like SXi,SRi,and VXR Vectras,in my opinion the new Ford Focus Headlights look like dame ednas glasses!:lol:

Anyway in auzzie the Vauxhall Vectra is a well liked Car And myself i love it.but the clio im not a big fan of but Thats my opinion i hate hate daihatsus however you spell it.
Regards

Established Member
Anyway in auzzie the Vauxhall Vectra is a well liked Car

I'd say the Commodore is much more popular there, as well as the Ford Falcon.
When I was there, I saw loads of Commodores and Falcons, but almost no Vectras.
And of course we now have the top end Vauxhall Commodore available in the UK as the VXR8.

O L Leigh

Established Member
SEAT Toledo. If one buys one be aware, the kick plates turn into mini ballast tanks when it rains, much to the misery of my shoes.

Which model...?

I am aware that some Tolly 2's (and the equivalent Leon) had problems with door seal membranes and drain holes, but not every example suffered. Mine was certainly fine. In fact, it had fewer niggling problems than my current Volvo V50.

Besides, I'm not sure what you mean by "kick plates". What happened if you had one with a blown door membrane was that the water would collect in the appropriate footwell. This is easy to diagnose and just as easy to fix and should certainly not put anyone off buying an otherwise excellent, characterful and satisfying car.

O L Leigh

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I'd say the Commodore is much more popular there, as well as the Ford Falcon.
When I was there, I saw loads of Commodores and Falcons, but almost no Vectras.
And of course we now have the top end Vauxhall Commodore available in the UK as the VXR8.

Vauxhal are Canadian now ha ha!

Anyway the Vauxhall Vectra Vxr is popular over there but As you mentioned before there are other cars aswell as a Vectra VXR,but i got to agree 90019 that the Vauxhall Vectra VXR is not as popular as popular as a VXR8 but is a Quite good seller over there,well i heard that anyway!.

rmt

Currently got a Mk4 Golf GTI 150, which is OK.

n597109666_1052139_1684.jpg

n597109666_1052141_2521.jpg

When it comes round to the time to get a new car, I'm tempted by the new Scirocco, or maybe an early edition Lancer.. :)

whoshotjimmi

Tut...tut...tut....

Cheers man! Though, I have to admit, it is not as good as you probably imagine. I really dislike it the majority of the time and it only brings a smile to my face when I find a nice country road and properly drive it! In fact, I would definitely say that the standard 2 litre I had before that was much better overall.

Someone mentioned that they fancied an early edition Lancer. I would say that is a good choice. I have been looking at Evo 4 and 5 recently with a bit of a glint in my eye! I had a good look at a couple of FTO's too. What I have found with fast Mitsubishis is that the majority of older models are imports. I would need some insane money to start insuring those...

Status
Not open for further replies.