• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Local Law Would You Enact ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Given what has happened next to my school football pitch:

"You must not compile massive mounds of faeces next to a public place"

Yes, to be written out 10,000 times in best hand writing, that is after they have cleared it all up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Another one: Any person who thinks that the "keep left" notices on the stairs into the subway at Huddersfield station do not apply to them, shall spend a day in stocks outside the station followed by a week with their dominant hand tied behind their back.

That goes for people too who also ignore that rule on the Underground and to all those people that crowd around train and tube doors, thus making it hard for passengers to get off before they get on.

trainmania100

Established Member
Keep kids under close watch
There's often little boys with nerf guns playing around malpass markets, and when it snowed they threw snowballs with great force at my parked car the little ar*******
Thankfully my car wasnt damaged.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1) Anyone found throwing litter out of their car will have the nearest bin emptied onto their front seat.

2) Anyone driving down a country lane that can’t reverse fifteen feet to a passing place will be forced to drive everywhere backwards for six months.

3) Anyone that blocks the way by parking a shopping trolley sideways in a supermarket aisle while they look at the special offers will be forced to wear an orange helmet with wing mirrors attached.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
1) Anyone found throwing litter out of their car will have the nearest bin emptied onto their front seat.

2) Anyone driving down a country lane that can’t reverse fifteen feet to a passing place will be forced to drive everywhere backwards for six months.

3) Anyone that blocks the way by parking a shopping trolley sideways in a supermarket aisle while they look at the special offers will be forced to wear an orange helmet with wing mirrors attached.
I like the supermarket one, but I'd like to add a clause that the time in the "helmet of shame" is doubled for people who were loitering by the "reduced to clear" area if they weren't wearing at least one item of clothing from Primark.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I like the supermarket one, but I'd like to add a clause that the time in the "helmet of shame" is doubled for people who were loitering by the "reduced to clear" area if they weren't wearing at least one item of clothing from Primark.
:lol:

Dentonian

Established Member
Light hearted answer:

Anyone who presses the "down" button in a lift and then gets in one going up should be kicked out on the top floor and made to wait 10 minutes before calling a lift to go back down.

Serious answer: None,as virtually no EXISTING laws or bye laws are enforced - and the ones that are, ae based on prejudice and cowardice. On Saturday I was walking past the 192/Hyde Road bus stop near Newton Street/Piccadilly (M'cr) and two people wearing tabards labelled "Environment Enforcers" were writing out a PCN or similar because two young women (who looked/sounded like South European or South American tourists) had committed the haenous crime of dropping the cap off a soft drink bottle on to the pavement. Given this area (like the rest of Britain) is infested with speeding cyclists (incl. uber eats and deliveroo, of course) and Spice dealers, I don't know how these bullies can sleep at night.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I like these.

Well the potholes are a nightmare and the council doesn't seem to do nuchal about it, so I think this might draw their attention to it.

The way to people's minds is through their pockets! ;)

Senex

Established Member
Anyone stopping immediately at the top or bottom of a moving tube escalator should be banned from using escalators. Or tubes. Or anything.
Absolutely agree! That's not just inconsiderate — it's potentially dangerous.

Senex

Established Member
Light hearted answer:

Anyone who presses the "down" button in a lift and then gets in one going up should be kicked out on the top floor and made to wait 10 minutes before calling a lift to go back down.

Serious answer: None,as virtually no EXISTING laws or bye laws are enforced - and the ones that are, ae based on prejudice and cowardice. On Saturday I was walking past the 192/Hyde Road bus stop near Newton Street/Piccadilly (M'cr) and two people wearing tabards labelled "Environment Enforcers" were writing out a PCN or similar because two young women (who looked/sounded like South European or South American tourists) had committed the haenous crime of dropping the cap off a soft drink bottle on to the pavement. Given this area (like the rest of Britain) is infested with speeding cyclists (incl. uber eats and deliveroo, of course) and Spice dealers, I don't know how these bullies can sleep at night.
The tourists were easy targets, and booking them no doubt helped the Enforcers to meet their targets for the day. The cyclists, on the other hand, seem to be a privileged species, left alone by the police and their various side-kicks as far as possible even when they actually ride past them the wrong way down a one-way street or turning leftg or right when that particular turn is prohibited. (And to be fair, you see the vehicles doing the same turns not being booked either.)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Anyone stopping immediately at the top or bottom of a moving tube escalator should be banned from using escalators. Or tubes. Or anything.

Definitely, happens at Glasgow Central a lot; people stop and check their phones - absolutely stupid thing to do at the top or bottom of an escalator, just waiting for an accident to happen.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The cyclists, on the other hand, seem to be a privileged species, left alone by the police and their various side-kicks as far as possible

Cyclists generally aren't left alone, to be quite honest.

Deliveroo and Uber Eats riders on bicycles, on the other hand... Of course you won't slow Deliveroo riders down, what would the shareholders say?

Drogba11CFC

No marches, parades or any other event using the high street may take place on the same day as a Winchester City home fixture.

Stan Collymore to be declared persona non grata inside the boundaries of Winchester City Council.

Anyone found to be defacing the pavement must scrub said pavement clean with a toothbrush.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Deliveroo and Uber Eats riders on bicycles, on the other hand... Of course you won't slow Deliveroo riders down, what would the shareholders say?

It’s rare to see them being pulled over for jumping red lights (and so many do).

That said, I’m sure Deliveroo cyclists have to ride like nutters in order to earn anything approaching a living wage.​

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
hat said, I’m sure Deliveroo cyclists have to ride like nutters in order to earn anything approaching a living wage.

Absolutely. You only have to see how agitated they get in McDonald's when there's a delay. I don't blame them, but the next Deliveroo rider who nearly crashes into me on the main pedestrian street in Newcastle will be getting booted off.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Absolutely. You only have to see how agitated they get in McDonald's when there's a delay. I don't blame them, but the next Deliveroo rider who nearly crashes into me on the main pedestrian street in Newcastle will be getting booted off.

I don’t think anyone could blame you.

About a year ago I crossed at a pelican crossing in London, on a green man, and a (fat, middle aged) idiot on a Boris bike collided with me (only a glancing blow, luckily). Then he had the cheek to swear at me!

He *might* have ended up on the floor. <D

Dentonian

Established Member

Sorry, but they are! A couple of years ago, the MEN used FOI to find out how many cyclists had been fined for cycling off the road in Gtr. Manchester in the previous year. That was 365 days in an area of 500 square miles. GMP replied that they had fined just 60 (sixty). The following month, I counted all the pavement/footbridge/bus shelter interior cyclists I saw and it took me just 15 trips (11 to/from work;), three shopping/leisure and one Hospital visit) to count 61. NO hanging round street corners or other known hot spots - just observations during my normal journeys.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I like the imagina
No marches, parades or any other event using the high street may take place on the same day as a Winchester City home fixture.

Stan Collymore to be declared persona non grata inside the boundaries of Winchester City Council.

Anyone found to be defacing the pavement must scrub said pavement clean with a toothbrush.

(Not quite sure about Stan Collymore & Winchester, I am sure someone enlighten me) However, referring to the suggestion of cleaning up with a toothbrush. (That did happen in the forces so I understand.) I did read a few years ago of a yob doing graffiti on a wall somewhere and he was spotted by a policeman, it was in an urban location where the copper was able to present the yob with a bucket and scrubbing brush and made him clean up what he had just done. He was very red faced apparently as a small crowd had gathered round and were giving him a bit of a hard time.<D

telstarbox

Established Member
Sorry, but they are! A couple of years ago, the MEN used FOI to find out how many cyclists had been fined for cycling off the road in Gtr. Manchester in the previous year. That was 365 days in an area of 500 square miles. GMP replied that they had fined just 60 (sixty). The following month, I counted all the pavement/footbridge/bus shelter interior cyclists I saw and it took me just 15 trips (11 to/from work;), three shopping/leisure and one Hospital visit) to count 61. NO hanging round street corners or other known hot spots - just observations during my normal journeys.

I cycled on the footway adjacent to a 40mph dual carriageway last week for about a mile. There were no pedestrians whatsoever and I considered it would be safest for me and vehicles on the carriageway to keep out of each others' way. In whose interest would it for the police to fine me there?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A couple of years ago, the MEN used FOI to find out how many cyclists had been fined for cycling off the road in Gtr. Manchester in the previous year.

Ah, but how many did they stop and give words of advice to? And how many were simply never seen because police don't stand on street corners anymore?

And how many drivers were ticketed in person (as opposed to speed/red light/bus lane cameras).

It sounds terrible, but is it?

Dentonian

Established Member
I cycled on the footway adjacent to a 40mph dual carriageway last week for about a mile. There were no pedestrians whatsoever and I considered it would be safest for me and vehicles on the carriageway to keep out of each others' way. In whose interest would it for the police to fine me there?

No pedestrians for about a mile! Wow! The examples I'm talking about are footbridges full of pedestrians; footbridges less than 4 feet wide; pavements less than four feet wide; *inside* crowded bus/train stations; inside public toilets and the latest *inside* a narrow corridor linking Manchester Airport Terminal 1 Arrivals with Jet2 check in. Many of these - most on footbridges - are cyclists doing 15-20 mph. Apart from my own experience - hit 5 times in as many years and nearly smashed into a glass shelter from behind - amongst the near misses I've seen have been wheelchair users nearly being hit by "parcour" type cyclists and a blind woman nearly sandwiched between two cyclists next to Undercroft bus station.

Dentonian

Established Member
Ah, but how many did they stop and give words of advice to? And how many were simply never seen because police don't stand on street corners anymore?

And how many drivers were ticketed in person (as opposed to speed/red light/bus lane cameras).

It sounds terrible, but is it?

I think they said around 100-150 warnings and nearly all were "sting" operations, so presumably just two or three "stings" in a year. Seperately, I have seen Police simply drive past pavement cyclists. As cycles aren't registered (or taxed, insured, licenced etc), I assume ticketing "in person" is the only way they would be caught.

Senex

Established Member
So if there were absolutely no other traffic about, it would be fine for, say, a motorist to ignore the law and drive the wrong way down a one-way street? Sorry, but we can't all decide which bits of law we'd like to obey and which we wouldn't.

Drogba11CFC

I like the imagina

(Not quite sure about Stan Collymore & Winchester, I am sure someone enlighten me) However, referring to the suggestion of cleaning up with a toothbrush. (That did happen in the forces so I understand.) I did read a few years ago of a yob doing graffiti on a wall somewhere and he was spotted by a policeman, it was in an urban location where the copper was able to present the yob with a bucket and scrubbing brush and made him clean up what he had just done. He was very red faced apparently as a small crowd had gathered round and were giving him a bit of a hard time.<D

I am a Chelsea supporter and I have had previous with him a few years back.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Sorry, but we can't all decide which bits of law we'd like to obey and which we wouldn't.

Quite right.

Cyclists are not above the law. The significant minority (pushing a majority in London) who ignore traffic lights and cycle dangerously would do well to remember that.

fowler9

Established Member
Quite right.

Cyclists are not above the law. The significant minority (pushing a majority in London) who ignore traffic lights and cycle dangerously would do well to remember that.
Things seem to be pretty bad in London with cyclists. I don't generally find them a problem in Liverpool apart from some Deliveroo staff in the city centre. Yes I see some pull ahead through red lights but it is generally to get ahead of the cars stopped in the advanced stop zone so they don't get involved with the traffic light Grand Prix. There are of course some nutters.

Motorists however. Just today outside Liverpool South Parkway I saw one guy in a car fly through a red light and narrowly miss three cyclists. A lady on the other side of the dual carriageway literally seconds later flew through a pedestrian crossing in her car when it was on red for her. She slammed on the brakes and then reversed back in to three people crossing the road hitting one. Yes, cyclists can't pick and choose which laws to follow. Neither can motorists and they cause far more damage when they do.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Things seem to be pretty bad in London with cyclists. I don't generally find them a problem in Liverpool apart from some Deliveroo staff in the city centre. Yes I see some pull ahead through red lights but it is generally to get ahead of the cars stopped in the advanced stop zone so they don't get involved with the traffic light Grand Prix. There are of course some nutters.

Unfortunately red light jumping by cyclists in London has reached epidemic levels.

Motorists however. Just today outside Liverpool South Parkway I saw one guy in a car fly through a red light and narrowly miss three cyclists. A lady on the other side of the dual carriageway literally seconds later flew through a pedestrian crossing in her car when it was on red for her. She slammed on the brakes and then reversed back in to three people crossing the road hitting one. Yes, cyclists can't pick and choose which laws to follow. Neither can motorists and they cause far more damage when they do.

I completely agree.

Far fewer drivers than cyclists run red lights but, as you say, the consequences when they do are more serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.