• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Local Law Would You Enact ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
Flash your break lights then - though that may be a surprise to the person behind you when you slow suddenly :lol:

fowler9

Established Member
More national than local, but how about a law requiring people to pull over if travelling below the speed limit and have more than five cars stuck behind them.
Not really a problem by mine as no one seems to stick to the speed limit but I think a law requiring everyone to drive at the speed limit would be irresponsible. It would be interesting though if everyone who wants cyclists taxed and insured, off the pavements also wants them doing 40mph on the relevant roads.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not really a problem by mine as no one seems to stick to the speed limit but I think a law requiring everyone to drive at the speed limit would be irresponsible. It would be interesting though if everyone who wants cyclists taxed and insured, off the pavements also wants them doing 40mph on the relevant roads.

I wouldn’t include cyclists, for the simple reason that this simply doesn’t cause the same level of problem.

I wouldn’t make it compulsory to drive at the speed limit (although I think people should get pulled if not doing so for no good reason - just like is the case with train drivers). Hence why I said if more than a few people are following - which is normally an indicator that the person at the front isn’t doing what they should - especially when it’s a car.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah, the 45 Everywhere Brigade. Don't you just love 'em :rolleyes:

Yesterday evening... A24 between Epsom and Ashtead... clear road.. good dry conditionds... 40 mph speed limit... one other car on the road, ahead of me, doing 35 mph.

We reach the 30 mph limit approaching Ashtead. As I slow down, the other driver pulls away ahead of me, clearly still doing 35 mph...

Dentonian

Established Member
I wouldn’t include cyclists, for the simple reason that this simply doesn’t cause the same level of problem.

That's one thing I've never understood about cyclists; Why do they do 15-20 mph on pavements and footbridges, but less than 10 mph on main roads, in front of buses?

fowler9

Established Member
That's one thing I've never understood about cyclists; Why do they do 15-20 mph on pavements and footbridges, but less than 10 mph on main roads, in front of buses?
Given that a Tour De France winner averages 25mph including time trials, sprints and flying down mountains I seriously doubt most casual cyclists you encounter on the pavement are doing 20 mph.

Have a look at a car doing 20mph and then try and imagine someone doing that on a bike on the pavement. You are basically saying that your average scally could do Liverpool to Manchester in an hour and a half on their daft fat wheeled mountain bike down the pavement. They couldn't.

Last edited:

Dentonian

Established Member
Given that a Tour De France winner averages 25mph including time trials, sprints and flying down mountains I seriously doubt most casual cyclists you encounter on the pavement are doing 20 mph.

Have a look at a car doing 20mph and then try and imagine someone doing that on a bike on the pavement. You are basically saying that your average scally could do Liverpool to Manchester in an hour and a half on their daft fat wheeled mountain bike down the pavement. They couldn't.

I think you are comparing marathons with (often downhill) sprints. All I can say is they are riding considerably faster than the pedestrians they are weaving round.

Dentonian

Established Member
Got a source for this?

Two actually. They are mid way between my forehead and my cheeks and based on many hundreds of "recorded incidents". Incidentally, I have noticed a big increase in near head on collisions between pavement cyclists this last week.

fowler9

Established Member

Seriously mate, hardly anyone you are talking about is doing 15 to 20 mph on the pavement. If they were you would be reading about deaths every few days.

Dentonian

Established Member
Seriously mate, hardly anyone you are talking about is doing 15 to 20 mph on the pavement. If they were you would be reading about deaths every few days.

What sort of speeds are they doing? Certainly considerably faster than pedestrians, and because bikes are silent and pedestrians don't have rear view mirrors, "injuries" might not be instant, physical symptoms. Whilst I concede death rates are very low, the stats won't include subsequent heart attacks or (presumably) other cyclist induced deaths like the elderly lady thrown from her seat when a cyclist came through a red light forcing a bus to "slam the anchors on" at the Phoenix (M'cr University) a few years ago. I also suspect that as the problem increases rapidly, so will casualties.
Also, whilst it can't be condoned; a motorist "acquantence" suggests that one of the reasons for the increase in bad driving in/near Manchester is that motorists are sick of cyclists getting away with law breaking, so why shouldn't they get away jumping yellow lights; poor lane discipline and doing 11-20% above the speed limit. In terms of danger to pedestrians (notwithstanding those with headphones - which many cyclists also wear, of course), yes a 1 tonne car can do more harm than a cycle (+helmet), but cars are more visible, more audible, and come from specific direction, so are easily seen by observant pedestrians. Also, most motorists will at least look for emerging pedestrians at junctions; cyclists don't - they just hurtle on through at a constant speed and its up to everyone else (pedestrians, drivers etc) to get out of THEIR way. "Touch wood", I have never been hit by a motorised vehicle (not counting an idiot opening the door in my path some years ago), but have been hit by cyclists on a footbridge (2) and at/near bus stops (3); 5 times in as many years. SO FAR, i have escaped serious harm, but my illness means I am more vulnerable to spinal injury than most.

Alex 2901

Two from me; one because of my neighbours and one, just because it drives me up the wall...

1. If a family own more than 2 cars, and a driveway isn't available, then any excess of the 2 should be parked on the nearest car park, even if they claim it's half a mile away.

2. People parking in front of my house, or taking up more than one space on a car park (and no I don't give a flying f*** if you drive a Porsche, Audi, BMW, whatever) will be sentenced to fix their car without the help of a mechanic or a manual; once a trained mechanic has gone round and disassembled random parts of the car, and left them within a 10 mile radius. If the car isn' roadworthy after the fix, then it will be scrapped, with owners paying the mechanic who disassembled said car.

Dentonian

Established Member
Two from me; one because of my neighbours and one, just because it drives me up the wall...

1. If a family own more than 2 cars, and a driveway isn't available, then any excess of the 2 should be parked on the nearest car park, even if they claim it's half a mile away.

2. People parking in front of my house, or taking up more than one space on a car park (and no I don't give a flying f*** if you drive a Porsche, Audi, BMW, whatever) will be sentenced to fix their car without the help of a mechanic or a manual; once a trained mechanic has gone round and disassembled random parts of the car, and left them within a 10 mile radius. If the car isn' roadworthy after the fix, then it will be scrapped, with owners paying the mechanic who disassembled said car.
Absolutely no chance of 1. Being introduced where I live as the current mayoress would have to have walked thousands of miles over the last couple of decades. As for 2, I think we should have something similar to Japan and allow householder s to charge for parking outside our property. I'd be a millionaire by now. I do agree with your punishment for blocking driveway s though

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Absolutely no chance of 1. Being introduced where I live as the current mayoress would have to have walked thousands of miles over the last couple of decades. As for 2, I think we should have something similar to Japan and allow householder s to charge for parking outside our property. I'd be a millionaire by now. I do agree with your punishment for blocking driveway s though

Yes, some of the punishments on this thread are very imaginative. Pillory or birch anyone?:D <D

BanburyBlue

I've got some supermarket ones..

1. People must return shopping trolleys to the trolley parks after use.
  2. People should be banned from letting their children sit in the trolleys.
  3. People should be banned from letting their children eat things in a supermarket until said items have been paid for.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

3. People should be banned from letting their children eat things in a supermarket until said items have been paid for.
Yes, I agree with you there on all points.

gg1

Established Member

4. If you change your mind about purchasing an item you should return it to it's original shelf, not randomly deposit it on the nearest available surface. Those guilty of such an offence will be required to submit their homes to compulsory re-organisation e.g. shampoo to be stored in the oven, bread to be stored under the bed, DVDs in the shed etc.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Supermarkets should be banned from moving products about any more than once in any five-year period.

Penalty is to have all checkouts open and staffed for as long as the store is open for a period of five years after each offence, with penalties cumulable. Reduction in number of checkouts is disallowed with a further penalty of an extra two to be created for each removal attempt.

Oh and free beer on Fridays would be nice too.

kevconnor

Drivers who park their car in a parent in a parent and child section without a child being present shall be forced to spend a day as a baby, wearing an adult size nappy and romper suit, with accompanying rattle and bonnet and shall only be allowed to eat baby food.

People who park in disabled parking when they are not permitted to shall spend a 24 hour period as the personal driver and valet of a genuine disabled person.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Drivers who park their car in a parent in a parent and child section without a child being present shall be forced to spend a day as a baby, wearing an adult size nappy and romper suit, with accompanying rattle and bonnet and shall only be allowed to eat baby food.

People who park in disabled parking when they are not permitted to shall spend a 24 hour period as the personal driver and valet of a genuine disabled person.
I like this.
Though under the first bit, I'd also include that "child" does not apply to university students doing their monthly "stock up" with mum/dad.

gg1

Established Member
Anyone who listens to music through headphones on public transport at a volume I can hear to be shut in a small room for a period of hours equal to the number of minutes I heard said tinny music. Whilst in this room they will be treated to my choice of music played at a volume of my choosing.

SS4

Established Member
Crowding around doors is forbidden on pain of being forcibly moved away.

One side of any pathway (including inside supermarkets) is a fast lane with a minimum speed limit. Anyone under it must be in the slow lane - using force if necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.