• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What loco is passing Manchester United?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodyd

Almost everyday between 22:30 and 23:15 something passes MUF station (I live very nearby). It’s noticeably louder and not the usual 66’s or 70’s. Nothing shows on on realtimetrains or tracksy. I do hear them sometimes during the day and they are enough to shake the house! Any idea what it might be? Never managed to catch one!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm guessing it's possibly an NR Railgrinding Unit that you're hearing. I live close to the Heaton Norris - Guide Bridge Line and during recent nights one of these has passed this way, like you mention they really do shake everything in the vicinity when they go through.

stottyuk

Louder in what way, engine noise or just sounds.. could be 4M87 from Felixstowe with a pair of 86s but that’s always on RTT

CW2

Established Member
Depends how far you can hear - obviously with the lockdown the city is quieter at night than would otherwise be the case. One candidate is the class 68 working 1P92 19:34 Scarborough - Manchester Airport. Comes round the curve from Victoria and stops at Oxford Road 22:02. 68s have quite a distinctive sound.

Romsey

Is it the loco or wagons that are louder?
A class 68 would sound louder than a 66 or 70.
DB Cargo regularly use Ssgmm intermodal wagons which sound different to most container flats. The old pocket type low floor container wagons (formerly GE leasing, now Taoux?) are noisy due to clasp brakes and the large sounding board sides.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
This lists trains passing the nearby Trafford Park East Jn on 30/06/20.

Do any of these correspond to the time you hear the noise ?
Change the data to check other days (Date format dd/mm/yy).

Whilst the suggested Class 68s are noisy, Deansgate / Ordsall Lane are a bit far away from your location, and Class 60s do not normally use that route.

Jodyd

This lists trains passing the nearby Trafford Park East Jn on 30/06/20.

Do any of these correspond to the time you hear the noise ?
Change the data to check other days (Date format dd/mm/yy).

Whilst the suggested Class 68s are noisy, Deansgate / Ordsall Lane are a bit far away from your location, and Class 60s do not normally use that route.
Ah, so the plot thickens! i certainly wouldn't hear Ordsall Lane but I am <100m away from MUF. Can't find anything on the site you linked, other than the usual 66's. How frustrating!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah, so the plot thickens! i certainly wouldn't hear Ordsall Lane but I am <100m away from MUF. Can't find anything on the site you linked, other than the usual 66's. How frustrating!

Does it seem like it's very heavy and rather slow moving with a distributed engine roar type of sound?

Jodyd

Does it seem like it's very heavy and rather slow moving with a distributed engine roar type of sound?
Quite possibly, I suppose the rail grinder would make sense, not being on any RTT etc. I initally thought the grinders were the single unit but doing a bit of searching the new Loram ones are a bit of a beast. Sounds like the best suggesion.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I still stick with this being the favourite especially as there's been one kicking around this part of the world for the last few days or so, the only thing that came close past here was one night a couple of weeks ago when a pair of 56s roared by on full throttle with a NR infrastructure type working.....that absolutely eclipsed the regular fare of 60s/66s on the Biomass & 68s/70s etc.

Jodyd

Yup. I think this is. I might head out one night and see if I can catch it. Thanks for you help and input everyone.

Romsey

A railgrinder moving to or from site should have a schedule which is visible on RTT or similar.
They can only work in a possession with no overlapping worksites.

Sankey Wire

I was awoken in the early hours of Tuesday morning by one of the rail tampers; I live close to Warrington West so not a million miles away from you.

They seem to do it this time each year and it always gives me an almighty fright!

Jodyd

I think that’s the most likely explanation. It passed a few nights ago. Was listed on Tracsky as ‘unknown loco’.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There’s been a 37 powered test train storming it’s way round Manchester recently. Hammered through Man Vicc at about 20:35 Stalybridge bound yesterday behind TPE’s 68 pushed 1E51. Could it have been that on its way back to Longsight or Edge Hill for stabling?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It might be an NR test train or piece of on track machinery like a grinder. If they are working in a possession they wont show up on RTT other than as a journey to the possession entry point and then form the exit point. That could be miles away.

if it happens again note the approximate time and we might be able to nail it down.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There’s been a 37 powered test train storming it’s way round Manchester recently. Hammered through Man Vicc at about 20:35 Stalybridge bound yesterday behind TPE’s 68 pushed 1E51. Could it have been that on its way back to Longsight or Edge Hill for stabling?

There have been Derby > Crewe, Crewe > Crewe and Longsight > Derby test runs over the past week. I am assuming class 37 or 73 hauled.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Defo 37! It stormed through Man Vicc and hammered up miles platting bank while I was awaiting 9E20. The driver clearly having fun thrashing the loco!

Jodyd

Ah that's interesting, I thought it was a 37 first of all but didn't think one would run on that route, of course forgetting about the test trains.

Jodyd

It might be an NR test train or piece of on track machinery like a grinder. If they are working in a possession they wont show up on RTT other than as a journey to the possession entry point and then form the exit point. That could be miles away.

if it happens again note the approximate time and we might be able to nail it down.
The last time I heard it was Tuesday night @ 23:35

Status
Not open for further replies.