• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What made you join the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apologies if this has been asked already.
I was wondering what made other members join this? Other than the obvious - I like trains.
I personally have read it off and on for at least a couple of years and sometimes I would read something and think I'd like to ask a question or make a comment, I've quickly realised from being involved how many real experts there are on here and that it isn't a good idea to think you know more than you do!
I'm not into social media, I haven't even got a proper TV. I've got a pretty old tablet which is what I have to do everything on and I barely know how to use that. I have a Facebook page that I haven't used for about 5 years. The kids have all got their own machines to watch stuff/play games on etc.I missed the boat with modern technology and I prefer to read or make things.
However. Since I joined this I haven't been able to stop looking at it. There's always something on here that's interesting, from every corner of the railway world. In the last few weeks I've hardly read any books, I've spent far too much time reading stuff on here and not doing what I should be doing. I think I'm going to have to wean myself off it a bit!
Anyone else or just me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think I can answer that question ;) but I will certainly be interested to read the replies! :)

And it's great to read stuff like this:
.... Since I joined this I haven't been able to stop looking at it.....

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha. It ten past twelve. What am I still doing on here?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I found this site long before I joined. I found the arguments, info people added etc very engaging.

Yes I love railway stuff, this is the only place to find others who will understand trains, randomly talking about trains on Facebook is not likely to succeed.
I wanted a forum so I could have something to do, and say.
TrekBBS I was considering, but JJ Abrams Trekkies are very nasty to original Trekkies and I didn't want to see me or other bullied everyday.

The Internet is a very boring place, this is the only rail related site worth checking daily other than news blogs.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So I could read weekly suggestions on how Brighton or Liverpool could be served by CrossCountry again

AM9

Veteran Member
I stumbled on the site and found it interesting. There were some threads discussing very interesting topics although experience with other forums had taught me to interpret 'facts' as opinion and views that should to be interpreted only in context.
I actually joined to ask a question about something that had puzzled me for a long time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It was under a recommendation from a member of the SkyScraperCity (SSC) website, who was also a member of this website. I had just completed my first year of retirement at that time.

Now completed my first five years membership of this website and looking forward to many more years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harbornite

Established Member
It was under a recommendation from a member of the SSC website, who was also a member of this website. I had just completed my first year of retirement at that time.

Now completed my first five years membership of this website and looking forward to many more years.

I assume SSC is skyscraper city? Do you use that particular forum?

Gathursty

Established Member
I was curious about the disused Wigan avoiding line from Pemberton to just beyond Ince, which I believe is now slowly but surely being converted into a road by-passing Wigan. Google brought up this website but it was a thread regarding the Whelley Loop. I ended up making my own and since then I've been hooked.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It was to see if there was any better linear split tickets for a Springburn - Highbury & Islington journey at the last minute a long time ago.

As I was already aware of splitting at Preston, I came across some suggestions on the forum how to manipulate the Webtis style booking engine to specify "via" point and also "calling at" station. This helped me massively as the through fare felt like that I was purchasing the whole Pendolino set rather than a journey on it at the time.

Later on, when I delved deeper into the whole forum site, I came across the Trip Planning and Reports section. I took a quick eyeball at that section, and there were reports that some individuals have had IC125s, Sprinters, Pacers, etc for haulage or having spotted them. I thought to myself "that's what I used to do back in the late 1980s/early 1990s" - albeit no longer having my original notes due to moving around a few times. Thinking further, I remember Class 47s, 86s, 87s, IC125s, 115/116s, 150s, 156s, 310s, 323s, and various first generation DMUs from the East Midlands being common sights at Birmingham New Street back then.

As I got back into recording rail journeys and started going on bashing trips again, I soon signed up to the forum and have not looked back since. I think my very first post (and thread starter) was to do with Glasgow Crossrail, if not it was one of my earliest postings a few years ago.

TheEdge

Established Member
Originally (possibly this account or a different one) I joined to troll from another now defunct forum that split from here. Then came back shortly after getting a job on the railway and am now a fixture.

Also thanks whichever admin reported me to my university ICT department for spamming you. I got a warning for that! :lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I stumbled across it (not sure how) and liked what I saw but got distracted. A few weeks later I wanted to check out what some chalk scrawl on a rail meant so signed up to ask and I've been trapped here ever since.

TheEdge

Established Member
I stumbled across it (not sure how) and liked what I saw but got distracted. A few weeks later I wanted to check out what some chalk scrawl on a rail meant so signed up to ask and I've been trapped here ever since.

Was it a datum point? ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was it a datum point? ;)

Hahaha no it wasn't! :p

It was something actually written on the rail along the lines of 5m 20ch and I wanted to check if my guess of that meaning 5 miles and 20 chains was correct considering that a chain is such an archaic unit of measurement!

Calthrop

Established Member
Came upon it by chance, via a reference from another Internet site. I enjoy chatting about railway matters with other aficionados, where our areas of rail interest overlap at all: so Rail UK Forums was a “find” for me. Reckon self a bit of of an oddball on here, in that my liking for railways is mostly sentimental, and tending to focus on “stuff which was” in times past – in some instances, in times very long past; much material about the present-day scene on Britain’s national rail system, is lost on me. However, there’s enough that I can share with plenty of other participants on the forum, to make me amply happy.

trainophile

Established Member
I asked a ticketing question on Moneysavingexpert, and some kind person directed me to this forum, which I immediately joined even though I had no rail knowledge whatsoever apart from using trains a lot!

I was worried about showing myself up, asking daft questions, and indeed I'm sure I did and still do, but everyone has been extremely helpful and welcoming, and it now feels like my second home.

I've been to a few of the get-togethers, which have been good fun, and I can recommend them to anyone who is thinking of going along to one. I do wish more female members would come along, as I would go to more of them if I wasn't likely to be the only one!

Established Member
I joined as I was always reading the forum and decided that I may as well join!

Been to a couple of events now, the West Mids challenge last year, the excellent fares workshop in Sheffield earlier this year and a Metrolink pub crawl very recently. Now know loads of people who are into the hobby, albeit one with an extreme hate of pacers and 22X units

Established Member
I honestly can't remember, but I think it was to do with researching a trip to Sheffield to visit friends early last year. I really enjoy being a member of the forum and I always try to check for updates in threads I'm reading every day, even if I don't log in. Being a member of the forum has given me a lot of valuable new knowledge, and also reading other members' travels around the country has inspired me to get out onto the rails and visiting new places. Since being a member of the forum I've done two ALRs (I got back home from this year's just under an hour ago), and I very much doubt I'd have done those without the inspiration I've been given from reading other people's trip reports.

Lrd

Established Member
I can't remember how I found the forum but I can remember the sort of questions I was asking about back then (including the typical datum plates one). I have learnt a lot from all the very knowledgeable people on these forums and wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for them.

I've also been to a few forum meets (challenges, fares workshops, meal and various other things) and they put a whole different perspective on things. You get to see how passionate people are about what they love and it's fascinating meeting so many different characters. If you are able to then try and attend a meet of some sort as you are bound to have a great time. If there is nothing local to you right now, then there will be soon.

Please remember that no question is ever to small, the more you ask then the more you learn.

43021HST

Established Member
I was 14 when I joined, none of my circle of friends or even most of my family were into trains so I needed somewhere I could speak to and debate with like minded people. Admittedly being a member of this forum for so long has been a rather interesting experience and I've met some very interesting people.

I've recently been on a very long hiatus from RUK, apart from the occasional post, but I think I've been bitten by the forum bug again. That damn bug.

Although I blame my hiatus on going through a period in which I found train simulation to be more interesting than the real railways. I've recently had to part with my decent computer and I'm currently stuck with a 7 year old laptop and so I've gotten back into railways again, at least until I'm able to get a decent computer again. :lol:

Last edited:

cjp

I forget why I joined rather than lurk. I just enjoy travelling by train especially the joy of taking my bike and getting to see new places without the bother driving so I can relax as I travel. I expect I had a question:)

Anyway thanks to the forum I had a spell of "frittering" my time in the Quiz Section - thanks Paul, I met with others for meals but I never been brave enough to show my ignorance in a Fares Forum - the rules keep changing- I have saved money and had Fun including travelling to the Highlands from Baldock, trips to the Sheffield and Derbyshire area including Matlock Bath and a cheap day out in Cambridge thanks to the old map WA (although it was a nervous journey there.)

So there you are I cannot say why I joined but it has been and continues to be fun and informative

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I expected the responses to be quite varied but probably not this varied!
Very interesting stuff.
Some of the responses have led me to look at areas of the forum that I hadn't taken the time to look at before now, such as the jobs and fares sections. So again thanks for that.
Nick.

AntoniC

I joined because I wanted more information on the project to replace the rail bridges between Bank Hall & Sandhills stations.

Since then I have done a number of challenges/ meals and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Isle of Man last month !

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I first stumbled over this site when I was looking for recordings and info on various automated announcement systems.

I joined as I was feeling very isolated at the time due to a tough work situation. It gave me a lift to be able to share my interests, talk with others and just relax. I now have some great friends thanks to the site and learning all the time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and for better or worse (worse financially) I ditched the lousy job

[.n]

Because its harder and harder to get a decent Usenet server and therefore uk.railway and the other groups I normally use are withering away.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I stumbled on this site by chance in January of this year, I forgot what I searched, in mid-February I signed up, I cocked up at the end of June, as my anger at the referendum result destroyed any form of self-dignity or compassion, and I've decided to return.

Johnnie2Sheds

I cant remember. But I'm glad I did, saved hundreds of pounds on railway magazines. I sift through it most days.

stefan44244

Totally agree with Grimsby pacer. . Good to read so many experts in one area and as most hobbies, people are happy to help, advise one another.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I kept on typing rail questions into google back in 2013 and it was always the forum that had the answers so I decided to join. I'm so glad that I did and since joining, I've attended several forum meets - which really have something for everyone - including a fares workshop. They are absolutely brilliant and I highly suggest any new members go along to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.