• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What made you smile today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

175mph

On Moderation
Having my nanna telling me she wants to help me with things, when my mum at most only ever makes token gesture comments in the guise of helping me. :)

Josie

Ooh thanks for resurrecting this thread @175mph! Mine from yesterday was Ellen White's equalising goal for England in the World Cup semi-final against USA. Sadly we went on to lose 2-1 but it was a great match.

175mph

On Moderation
Ooh thanks for resurrecting this thread @175mph! Mine from yesterday was Ellen White's equalising goal for England in the World Cup semi-final against USA. Sadly we went on to lose 2-1 but it was a great match.
And now you have put a smile on my face for today for thanking me. ;)

EM2

Established Member
Been looking for a particular pocket watch, but they've always been just that little bit too expensive for something that I don't really need. As an example, the only two on eBay at the moment are Buy It Now, at £80 and £95.
Found one in a retro shop today for thirty quid, and seeing as ERNIE emailed yesterday to say I'd won a pony, it's only cost me a fiver.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just shoved loads of toys under the sofa because I couldn’t be bothered to put them away, knowing full well that the children she childminds will get the blame...
(Evil smile ;))

EM2

Established Member
Been looking for a particular pocket watch, but they've always been just that little bit too expensive for something that I don't really need. As an example, the only two on eBay at the moment are Buy It Now, at £80 and £95.
Found one in a retro shop today for thirty quid, and seeing as ERNIE emailed yesterday to say I'd won a pony, it's only cost me a fiver.
And just won a vintage chain for it on eBay for three quid!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today was a good day on eBay for me.
I’ve been getting old bath plug chains, spraying them gold and selling them as vintage watch chains for three quid each...

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
As usual, Vettel's demonstration of professional F1 driving made me smile. Maybe he would benefit from an enforced EU self-driving car.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mrs C is finishing childminding this month after doing ten years of it, and today we had a surprise get together of the various children she’d looked after and their parents from the last decade. I guess there were about thirty people there.
My stepdaughter and I smuggled her into the venue with a blindfold on while everyone stayed quiet, and then we removed the blindfold and everyone shouted SURPRISE!!!
It was a lovely thing, and a bit emotional too seeing children that she’d looked after as babies now 9/10 years old and growing fast...
Lots of smiles today.

Crossover

Established Member
Spending much of the afternoon at an end of season BBQ of a local arts group I volunteer with - lots of fun and good company and the weather held out, too!

This following spending most of yesterday with a handful of forummers doing a disused line walk (trip report will hopefully follow!), alongside seeing a 195 up close/moving for the first time (at Halifax, on test, of all places!) and finally tracking down the "Evolution Pacer" for the journey home

Pretty good weekend all in all :D

EM2

Established Member
There's an up-and-coming band (well, duo) called Sink Ya Teeth, it's two women, one plays bass and the other plays keys and sings.
I've seen them three times, as support to other bands in small venues (no more than a crowd of 300), and really like them.
At the weekend, they were due to play a festival in Slovakia. The headliner Lykke Li pulled out, and they were asked to headline in front of 30000, with an hour's notice! Seems that they went down a storm. Really chuffed for them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48990149
[Gemma] Cullingford, who formed the band with Maria Uzor in 2015, said: "We met the promoter of the festival, Michael Kascak, after having played our set in a large marquee in the afternoon which had gone down well to an audience of about 2,000 people.

"Michael thanked us for playing and said he'd enjoyed the set.

"Maria and I then went to enjoy the rest of the evening... when all of a sudden Michael found us and asked if we could play in place of Lykke Li as she'd had to cancel due to travel disruptions."

She said with about 40 minutes until the sound check it all "felt surreal".

She added: "I couldn't stop laughing. We were aware that we were pretty unknown there so didn't know if people would stick around to watch, but it became apparent there were people there that had seen us earlier that afternoon that enjoyed it, and we played to a full and appreciative crowd.

"It's still not sunk in for either of us yet."

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Cos the weather was nice i walked from Blackpool airport all along Blackpool North station this evening for the train home. Couple of pints in the velvet coaster too - lovely stuff

fowler9

Established Member
Boss let me slide my shift to an earlier one on Friday so I can go out with a mate for his his birthday. He not only didn't have to do this, he could get in to trouble for it.

ComUtoR

Established Member
When you work your ass off all day and someone says thank you. ( @Wivenswold )

A little thanks, goes a long way.

fowler9

Established Member
Leaving work today and now having 6 days off and going to the Edinburgh festival has made me smile today.

Peter C

Established Member
Something made me giggle the other day... someone on a GWSR mispronounce "Laverton" as "L-AR-verton" and think that Toddington was "Larverton". Very funny. Probably shouldn't have giggled.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This kitten with its little white feet that’s just fallen asleep on my lap: 6FB1394D-F0B8-42E9-BE5D-14D27A2B6F08.jpeg

Along with this glass of red wine that’s thankfully within reach:
0D53651D-A8AC-4160-9780-0288A933F936.jpeg
(As is the rest of the bottle ;))

Attachments

• 446AB0C8-26A5-4C05-93BA-6DE28963BF70.jpeg
    446AB0C8-26A5-4C05-93BA-6DE28963BF70.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.