• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What makes a good bus service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freetoview33

Established Member
After some current discussions in other threads I thought it would be good to see what people think makes a bus service good (in order of importance)

Such as, on time, real time info, frequency, direct routes or have to change buses, age of buses, seats .... The list goes on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
After some current discussions in other threads I thought it would be good to see what people think makes a bus service good (in order of importance)

Such as, on time, real time info, frequency, direct routes or have to change buses, age of buses, seats .... The list goes on.

The most important thing is reliability. Will the bus turn up when it says, and arrive when it says?

CBlue

Coming only second to reliability, is marketing it to the extent people know it exists, and use it, is perhaps one of the most important things that sadly some operators don't bother with.

Several years ago in my local area, Stagecoach registered serveral rather useful new routes linking places that didn't previously have connecting bus services - and apart from putting up timetables on their website made no effort to promote them. 18 months later they were all cancelled, as hardly anyone knew they existed!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Coming only second to reliability, is marketing it to the extent people know it exists, and use it, is perhaps one of the most important things that sadly some operators don't bother with.

Several years ago in my local area, Stagecoach registered serveral rather useful new routes linking places that didn't previously have connecting bus services - and apart from putting up timetables on their website made no effort to promote them. 18 months later they were all cancelled, as hardly anyone knew they existed!

I would say marketing is important and needs to be done in parallel but if the last of the things to be seen. You have to get the product right - that's reliability, right place, right times, right quality, right price point and then you can market it. It's all part of the marketing mix, or that's what a marketeer would say :D

Two examples from Stagecoach:

South West Falcon - new service from Plymouth to Bristol. Reliability is tricky on the M5 but timings try to be realistic, it avoids Exeter and Taunton centres, has a USP in providing a direct link to Bristol Airport that public transport struggled (i.e. train to Bristol, then Flyer bus to Airport) and has a price point that competes favourably with the train. Good vehicles and times that worked for their target market. The marketing approach that backed it up was good too (e.g. Radio, billboards, bus advertising etc and it was doing well until CV19!

Belles Express - new service from Gloucester to Bristol. The timings didn't seem bad. The vehicles weren't new but were decent enough. Problem was it didn't have a USP - the train could do it quicker and the price differential wasn't so great to outweigh it for more people. So despite the marketing push, there was an inherent flaw in the product. Despite paring back the timetable and the marketing, it just couldn't find its niche.

MotCO

Established Member
1. A regular, reliable service, with bus stops saying when the next bus is actually coming.
2. Affordable fares that make the bus a viable alternative to the car.
3. A good image, ranging from clean, presentable buses to good information, timetables, alerts for service disruption.

Titfield

Established Member
Safety
and before someone stays that is taken for granted wheel losses and deroofings not to mention the Public Inquirys relating to failings in maintnenace would suggest that it cant be taken for granted.

mmh

Established Member
Reliability, price and accurate information.

Sadly here (Arriva Wales) the first is very good, the other two poor. My local stop's timetable poster was a year out of date and behind a major timetable change before the coronavirus alterations. It's the council's poster rather than Arriva's, but they ignored my request that they replace it.

route101

Established Member
Realibale and frequent. Buses create uncertainity , connecting between 2 high freq buses is a lot easier than 2 less frequency.

Good value fares from an operator such as the £2.85 all day ticket valid on most Diamond Bus Commercial Bus Services within Dudley & Sandwell

anthony263

Established Member
Good quality reliable service with polite drivers and good looked after buses.

Reasonable fares too and good marketing
The state of vehicles and unreliability was one of veolia down falls

Well, as a former driver, I would say an empty bus. Or one with loads of attractive young ladies.

Seriously, punctuality, some companies think tightening times to save money in the short term is a great idea, except that passenger numbers drop when they can't tell if the bus will be on time. Too much short term thinking in the industry IMO.
Cheap fares are always a bonus but given the busses outside London has to run at a profit this will always be a balancing act.
I like drivers who know how to drive well, take their time and have a nice attitude.
The last bus I was on the driver clipped the kerb more times in an hour than I did in a year.

Statto

Established Member
The last bus I was on the driver clipped the kerb more times in an hour than I did in a year.

That happened on a bus i was on a couple of years ago, driver clipping every kerb when cornering, & even side swiped a car, fortunately just a few scrapes to the vehicles rather than anything more serious

Pat1105

Going direct from A to B
Long, indirect routes that go 'round the houses' put many people off. Arriva used to run the 10 between Telford & Wolverhampton, competing on the route with Banga. However, Arriva's service was almost 20 minutes longer as it served Perton. Banga's 891 service is much more direct, using the Tettenhall Road into the city centre. Arriva couldn't keep the service running, so axed it in 2018.

LancasterRed

Reliability, (whether artificially done through Lancaster's deployment of unscheduled services or just having appropriate timetables) capacity and frequency appropriate for the service, accurate real time information provided, comfort.

Stagecoach's Lancaster services get it near enough perfect although could benefit from more capacity and frequency at times, especially in the evening.

darloscott

Long, indirect routes that go 'round the houses' put many people off. Arriva used to run the 10 between Telford & Wolverhampton, competing on the route with Banga. However, Arriva's service was almost 20 minutes longer as it served Perton. Banga's 891 service is much more direct, using the Tettenhall Road into the city centre. Arriva couldn't keep the service running, so axed it in 2018.
It's a fine line between going fast & direct and picking enough people up to make it worthwhile... or you could be serving a separate market altogether.

lxfe_mxtterz

Going direct from A to B
Personally, if I'm not in a rush to urgently be somewhere, I would rank the atmosphere of the bus as more important than direct routing.

Where I am, there are multiple operators running between two large towns. Arriva run a more direct service taking 25m and a few smaller, independent companies run longer routes taking around 1h.

Nine times out of ten, when I've had to travel between the two, I've chosen to go with the independent companies (taking around 1h) as opposed to the more direct Arriva service (taking 25m), because the buses are always cleaner and more welcoming, as opposed to the rather uninviting Arriva buses.

Also, the drivers on these routes are always so much friendlier than the Arriva drivers - the amount of times I've been yelled at by Arriva drivers for stupidly insignificant things* is unbelievable.

* To name a few: Asking how far I could go with x amount of change (which was all I had on me at the time), accidentally flagging the wrong bus down because the sun glare made the destination blind unreadable (even after apologising)...

Going direct from A to B
As a result of town services dying out as uneconomical, many " express" routes now serve loads of little estates, this where I used to live in Northumberland. The express routes now take longer to serve Newcastle than the old service routes used to pre deregulation. This put off those who have a choice.

route101

Established Member
That happened on a bus i was on a couple of years ago, driver clipping every kerb when cornering, & even side swiped a car, fortunately just a few scrapes to the vehicles rather than anything more serious

I was on a double decker that wedged itself into a house in a small village !

CBlue

Something else that gets overlooked is comfort. My car has nice, comfortable seats, air conditioning and no interior noise to speak of - the alternative if I go by bus is over an hour on a rattling, plastic seated Enviro400, usually stinking of hot oil and radiator fans blaring if it's a warm day...not what I'd call pleasant to travel on.

cnjb8

Established Member
Something else that gets overlooked is comfort. My car has nice, comfortable seats, air conditioning and no interior noise to speak of - the alternative if I go by bus is over an hour on a rattling, plastic seated Enviro400, usually stinking of hot oil and radiator fans blaring if it's a warm day...not what I'd call pleasant to travel on.
Yes definitely

LancasterRed

I was on a double decker that wedged itself into a house in a small village !

Similar: I'm surprised the X51 and X53 haven't crashed more given their turns through Lyme Regis and Abbotsbury.

Mind, they're not that comfy either and you can definitely fly out of your seat. That raises another point: if the route has sharp turns and high speeds maybe the seating should be appropriate!

Megafuss

It's about getting the basics right.

Reliable timetable
Well maintained vehicles
Good, easy to understand publicity. Written, online and at the bus stop
Well trained, friendly drivers
A good price point.

I'd also say that a good service is one you'd be happy to be seen on. Such as the Leeds/Ripon 36, Trent Barton Red Arrow and South West Falcon.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The most important thing is reliability. Will the bus turn up when it says, and arrive when it says?

Or at least easily accessible live information so you can check and have confidence it is indeed on its way.

Good value fares from an operator such as the £2.85 all day ticket valid on most Diamond Bus Commercial Bus Services within Dudley & Sandwell

Even just single / daily fares that are easy to pay (Contactless!) and are reasonably conducive to 'Pay as You Go' use, i.e. not a relatively high single fare only slightly less than an All Day Ticket

Pat1105

Or at least easily accessible live information so you can check and have confidence it is indeed on its way.

Even just single / daily fares that are easy to pay (Contactless!) and are reasonably conducive to 'Pay as You Go' use, i.e. not a relatively high single fare only slightly less than an All Day Ticket
I’d also add, a rounded amount to the nearest 10p. NX once charged £1.15 for a child single and Banga charge £1.05 for a child single. It is a bit of a random number. Also, it is easier to lay for say a £1.20 fare as you’d likely just use a pound coin and a 20 pence piece.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

In no particular order:

- Punctuality. The timetable needs to be realistic, with enough padding that, unexpected situations like car crashes aside, the service is near-always punctual. Most traffic congestion is eminently predictable, and far too many bus timetables appear to be planned on the basis of the office junior ragging round the route non-stop in his souped-up Citroen Saxo.

- Add to that ABSOLUTELY NO early running under any circumstances whatsoever, time should always be waited at the timing point unless a Police Officer instructs the driver not to do so. Timing points should be frequent (every few stops) and realistic (i.e. it shouldn't cause an obstruction to wait for time at them). For what it's worth I've noticed that GPS tracking has largely solved this :)

- Keep things moving to keep journey times short. Ticketing should be off-bus or touch in/out contactless, and dual door should be used on any route where at a considerable number of stops you have both boarding and alighting passengers, though it is probably not necessary on classic "suburb to central bus station" type routes as these don't have much of that.

- The vehicle should be of good quality, the seats comfortable, the pitch not just set for dwarves and the design, inside and out, look attractive.

- Attention to detail is important. Buses should be cleaned frequently and be designed for easy cleaning (e.g. don't design in awkward-to-get-to but visible spaces). Panels shouldn't be left vibrating - such issues should be properly fixed. Windows should be cleaned properly, including removing the scruffy-looking crayon marks round the safety markings you get post-MoT.

- Information is key. Timetable information should be easily available, online, at stops, in a mobile app etc, and should be in Google Maps too. The same with real time information. Also London-style spider and stop layout maps are good for highlighting connections etc. All buses should have next stop displays and audio announcements on board including connection and "important landmark" information - indeed, I'd like to see this a required part of PSVAR because of how much it helps the blind and partially sighted, it's not just good customer service.

- Connections - where these are important they should be co-ordinated properly, with connections waiting for a delayed bus where feasible. Ticketing should not penalise making connections (notably some bus companies do now do this - for instance Stagecoach in the Lakes can issue through single and return tickets between any two locations even if a change of bus is needed).

- The service should be actively controlled, with a combination of GPS, IT systems and experienced staff, so that if an incident occurs vehicles can be repositioned to maintain service, rather than the classic "well, they all went out this morning but we have no idea where they are now" as I have actually been told when I phoned a bus control room about disruption a while ago. London gets this bang-on right.

- The infrastructure (bus stations, stops etc) should look as good as the buses do (as above). Ideally, operators should work closely with local Councils to get overtakes etc put in place to ease the effects of traffic as well as quality stop infrastructure.

- The fare should be reasonable - what's remarkable about UK bus operations is that while most of it is wholly commercial and there is little actual competition in most areas, they by and large are!

That's a starter for however-many-it-was. For what it's worth, you see much of this in bus companies that Alex Hornby has had a hand in, but it's much bittier in others - though Stagecoach in the Lakes does manage much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.