• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What makes London London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Oh I don’t care about Old Routemasters, I’m all for modernisation and the lovely New Routemasters are a work of art. If only they could replace all other double decker buses in London. Best bus there is!
I think the new Routemasters are like Marmite. You love them or hate them. Ha ha. I hate them. The front looks like a grinning fool or some rubbish bit of Steampunk design. I really can't explain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anti-pacer

Established Member
Fair comment, but let's take Gants Hill to Surbiton.

Tube: Gants Hill to Bank - approx 20 mins
Tube: Bank to Waterloo - approx 7 mins
Rail: Waterloo to Surbiton - approx 20 mins on a faster train

Interchange walks - probably total 12 mins

Total: 59 mins, maybe more depending on train times, but probably no more than 70 mins.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I think the new Routemasters are like Marmite. You love them or hate them. Ha ha. I hate them. The front looks like a grinning fool or some rubbish bit of Steampunk design. I really can't explain.

Trouble is, marmite design aside, rather than a truly modern bus they are now old-hat technology.
Buses are going to be all-electric in the near future and these are some of the most polluting (their hybrid batteries tend to fail so they run constantly on diesel). The air cooling doesn't work so opening windows have had to be retrofitted at great expense as people were collapsing on the top decks in the summer.

The whole gimmick around the open rear platform was always hit and miss as it could never be left unattended due to modern health and safety rules and was only open half the time. Now they've bitten the bullet, sacked all the conductors and binned it completely which means the back door is now just a floor to ceiling window.

All in a bit of a white elephant and a BOJO vanity project which I believe has now been terminated by TFL with no future orders placed.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What they have led to is these:

http://www.alexander-dennis.com/products/enviro400h-city/

...which is really more like what they should have been. All the class (I genuinely think they are classy) and heritage look, none of the gimmickry. Suitable for regional cascade, too[1], unlike the Bozza buses.

[1] Well, several regional operators have ordered new ones, most notably Blackpool Transport.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What they have led to is these:

http://www.alexander-dennis.com/products/enviro400h-city/

...which is really more like what they should have been. All the class (I genuinely think they are classy) and heritage look, none of the gimmickry. Suitable for regional cascade, too[1], unlike the Bozza buses.

[1] Well, several regional operators have ordered new ones, most notably Blackpool Transport.
I've tried to look in the gallery at the interior, but without success (technology being technology).

Anyhow, one of the things I liked about the Boris bus was the interior seating which seemed stylish and comfortable.

For this alternative to be as good, it would need to replicate that as well as having a curvy outside.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The interior is standard Alexander Dennis with the classic moquette. Though I'm sure Bozza Bus style seats could be fitted.

The one thing I think it's missing is nicer lighting, I like the spots in the Bozza bus, though many claim the subdued lighting that I think is classy is inadequate. One manufacturer doing that quite well is Wrightbus - their newer buses with Lothian have two very narrow warm white LED strips which give the effect of spotlights (some shadowing etc) without actually being spotlights.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The interior is standard Alexander Dennis with the classic moquette. Though I'm sure Bozza Bus style seats could be fitted.

The one thing I think it's missing is nicer lighting, I like the spots in the Bozza bus, though many claim the subdued lighting that I think is classy is inadequate. One manufacturer doing that quite well is Wrightbus - their newer buses with Lothian have two very narrow warm white LED strips which give the effect of spotlights (some shadowing etc) without actually being spotlights.

Standard bus seats would be a no-no for me.

317 forever

Established Member
Many areas have a different character in their own right, partly depending on which buses or Underground lines serve the area. This and the multi-cultural population make London feel like a country within a country.

Also the abundance of Pret a Manger cafes in central London in particular.

More recently, it is sombre (due to other areas of Britain) but delightful to reflect on how London says Remain :smile:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Many areas have a different character in their own right, partly depending on which buses or Underground lines serve the area. This and the multi-cultural population make London feel like a country within a country.

Also the abundance of Pret a Manger cafes in central London in particular.

More recently, it is sombre (due to other areas of Britain) but delightful to reflect on how London says Remain :smile:

Aw, you revived my thread from the dead, how nice :D

You make an interesting point! Each part of the capital city is unique in its own way!

317 forever

Established Member
Aw, you revived my thread from the dead, how nice :D

You make an interesting point! Each part of the capital city is unique in its own way!

You're welcome! Although I did quickly read some threads every so often, it is a while since I logged on here.

As I only have 3 or 4 bus trips a year, it means most years I see places for the first time in a few years. So, really refreshing to be back. 8-) For example, this year I went to Clapham Junction for the first time since 2011, and Harrow for the first time since 2012.

Pinza-C55

Haven't lived there since 2000 but my favourite thing used to be the pubs. Not just for the obvious reason but the architecture and that each one had it's own ambience. My favourite was the St James Tavern in Piccadilly Circus which when I first frequented it in 1980 had real gas lamps, sawdust on the floor, ripped seats and a live Irish band on weekends, plus it had an oval bar. It was "refurbished" in the 1990s and all this was swept away sadly.

Established Member
Paying a fiver for a pint and not daring to breath a word on the tube!

Northerner speaking:D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Haven't lived there since 2000 but my favourite thing used to be the pubs. Not just for the obvious reason but the architecture and that each one had it's own ambience. My favourite was the St James Tavern in Piccadilly Circus which when I first frequented it in 1980 had real gas lamps, sawdust on the floor, ripped seats and a live Irish band on weekends, plus it had an oval bar. It was "refurbished" in the 1990s and all this was swept away sadly.

The uniquely London satisfaction about knowing some lovely/quirky/characterful tucked away pub that "the masses" don't know about.

And the post-work pint culture.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sadly all of my friends who've lived in London for years always end up pointing out all of their favourite pubs that have been turned into supermarkets and blocks of flats.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sadly all of my friends who've lived in London for years always end up pointing out all of their favourite pubs that have been turned into supermarkets and blocks of flats.

Or coffee shops and sushi bars.

London is wonderful but it has been very hollowed out over the years, with many areas devoid of character. The East End is now particularly vapid.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Oh I don’t care about Old Routemasters, I’m all for modernisation and the lovely New Routemasters are a work of art. If only they could replace all other double decker buses in London. Best bus there is!

Borismasters are awful. An off the shelf hybrid double decker would've been better, more reliable and far cheaper. Especially as the rear door was never going to be a long term prospect.

The old RM was genuinely a bus ahead of its time. The new one tried to be but failed.

xotGD

Established Member
Outside of the centre, London is essentially a load of small towns without any countryside between them. Each has its own high street, some are nicer than others. Because of the proximity, you get very nice areas and rough areas very close to each other. Overall, the difference between haves and have-nots is starker in London than elsewhere in the country.

Londoners often cite the theatre, opera, museums, etc. as good things about London. However ask them how often they visit these places and them usually start umming and arghing.

Multiculturalism exists in plenty of other towns and cities too. However, this often takes the form of cultural silos that exist in parallel, with minimal intermixing. This starts in the classroom - a group of white kids in one corner, black in another, Asian in another.

When I lived in London, I liked the fact that public transport was good enough to mean that I didn't need to drive very often. Which was just as well, since driving there (e.g. on the North Circular trying to get out) is a total nightmare.

After any visit to London, you always take home the same 'souvenir' - black snot. The London air quality is a serious problem.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I had a six month contract at the National Theatre a couple of years back, which meant I had the pleasure of walking along the southbank multiple times per day. I do love the southbank, especially when the Christmas markets are up!

fowler9

Established Member
I had a six month contract at the National Theatre a couple of years back, which meant I had the pleasure of walking along the southbank multiple times per day. I do love the southbank, especially when the Christmas markets are up!
I bet they are good fun. The Christmas Market in Liverpool is nice enough but nothing compared to Manchester, let alone London. Been a while since I was in London now, my mate who lives in Weybridge has had his first kids this year (Twins) so it could be a while till I stay with them. Always an exciting place to visit.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I bet they are good fun. The Christmas Market in Liverpool is nice enough but nothing compared to Manchester, let alone London. Been a while since I was in London now, my mate who lives in Weybridge has had his first kids this year (Twins) so it could be a while till I stay with them. Always an exciting place to visit.

Twins? Cool! Only bad thing is if they find out who is slightly older because the older one will hold it against the younger one for the rest of their life even if the difference is less than an hour! :{ Don’t I know it!

Not done the Liverpool Christmas markets, not been to Liverpool at all actually! I do love the Birmingham German Market, very authentic!

I really do like London by the Thames at night with the London Eye lit up, the OXO sign blaring, the famous buildings glowing in the dark! :D

TheAdelante

Only bad thing is if they find out who is slightly older because the older one will hold it against the younger one for the rest of their life even if the difference is less than an hour! :{ Don’t I know it!

Oh for goodness’ sake :rolleyes:
Maybe the older twin simply has a lot more common sense!?!

I recommend Winchester and Salisbury, they have lovely Christmas markets to visit, I particularly like the latter!

How nice that your friend had twins!

fowler9

Established Member
Ha ha. God willing they will have plenty of time to work things out. One thing I am sure of is they will both grow up as Liverpool supporters for better or for worse. Ha ha. I do kind of miss their parents (My mates) living in West Ealing though and just jumping the tube from Broadway and being able to see all the amazing sights so nearby.

Salisbury and Winchester I hope to see again soon as I work with the armed forces and there are lots of them in that area, crossing my fingers for a work jolly down there.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Twins? Cool! Only bad thing is if they find out who is slightly older because the older one will hold it against the younger one for the rest of their life even if the difference is less than an hour! :{ Don’t I know it!

Not done the Liverpool Christmas markets, not been to Liverpool at all actually! I do love the Birmingham German Market, very authentic!

I really do like London by the Thames at night with the London Eye lit up, the OXO sign blaring, the famous buildings glowing in the dark! :D
More the case of the younger one holding it against the older one, surely?:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.