• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What music do you listen to ?

What kind of music do you listen to ?

• Rock, Metal, Hard Rock, Rock'n'Roll...

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Club, HandsUp, Trance, House, Techno...

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Classical

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Jazz, Blues...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rap, Hip Hop, R'n'B

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Soul, Funk

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Pop

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • World

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
I probably should have voted for Rock and Roll. Thanks to excessive listening of the Heart radio station, my Itunes account balance currently stands at £1.20. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Pity there isn't a "none of the above". To me, music is just a sound, like so many others. I would listen to any pleasant sound through choice, and this includes engine exhausts, ropes tapping against a mast and a ticking clock. However, I'm yet to hear anything that distinguishes any kind of music as anything special, unless it is associated with something different through memory (which is a trick of the memory, and can work with any sound).

In general, there are three reasons why the majority of music is unpleasant.
  1. It sounds like a boiler factory/diesel engine starting
  2. It's somewhere between being so repetitive that it's boring and not being repetitive enough that it's soothing/uplifting
  3. There's someone singing words that sound like absolute gobbledygook (my hearing is a bit weird)

Foxhound

Put reggae in Soul, Funk, etc.

Never.

No No No.

Are we talking Reggae, Lovers Rock, Dub, Bluebeat? Let alone the modern re-inventions like ragga and dub-step?

It will never ever fit.

Why?

It's a totally different beat. Soul and Funk is 4/4 time, Reggae (which evolved from Ska) isn't.

Heresy to put them together.

Level 42 (Funk) = Bob Marley (Reggae) = The Specials (Ska)

I don't think so.

gnolife

Established Member
I aint quite sure what to put here
Im opting with Rock etc because that comes closest to what i like
I like prefer acts like Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Alex Harvey, the Clash, Sex Pistols, Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel but also like some newer stuff like Muse, Bullet for my Valentine, Slipknot

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There should be an option for '90s music.

For example...
Culture Beat - Mr Vain
Lighthouse Family - High (which starts with what appears to be a Sprinter crossing the Tyne)
Oasis - Wonderwall
Freddy Mercury - Living on my own
Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer
Haddaway - What is Love
Ace of Base - All that she wants
Gloworm - Carry me home

The only thing they all have in common is that they're 1990s! Though, given the options available I had to go for Club/Trance/House option.

I also like The Chemical Brothers - where do they fit in?

(Though I don't just like 1990s; I do like some more modern stuff too, and even some 1970s stuff - if it's Jean Michel Jarre or Kraftwerk. Plus some 1980s too.)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I also like The Chemical Brothers - where do they fit in?

I would say they are Alternative, but without a category probably rock/metal? Also confused as to why there is no option for indie but oh well!

I like general soft rock and indie stuff (Coldplay, Muse, Feeder, Noah and the Whale, Arcade Fire, Kaiser Chiefs to name a few). Also don't mind some recent club anthems, but probably only because they are constantly played when I go on nights out!

Will also be controversial and say I like a bit of classical and jazz. :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Max - Hmm.. possibly. Here's another one then, where does Daft Punk fit in? (Da Funk / Around the World. Videos well worth watching as they are quite bizarre, yet very catching)

1. There's someone singing words that sound like absolute gobbledygook (my hearing is a bit weird)
That can actually be a good reason for liking a song, e.g. Scatman :D
[youtube]3cnQCk0u49w[/youtube]
(I think this is James Palmer's favourite song, play this song and he is guaranteed to be in a good mood! Can't guarantee that'll get you a discount off a Retro railtour, but worth a try ;))

LE Greys

Established Member
Max - Hmm.. possibly. Here's another one then, where does Daft Punk fit in? (Da Funk / Around the World. Videos well worth watching as they are quite bizarre, yet very catching)

That can actually be a good reason for liking a song, e.g. Scatman :D
[youtube3cnQCk0u49w[/youtube]
(I think this is James Palmer's favourite song, play this song and he is guaranteed to be in a good mood! Can't guarantee that'll get you a discount off a Retro railtour, but worth a try ;))

Now that's not too bad, I actually quite like it, but it's not what I was referring to. I meant when it is supposed to be in English, but actually sounds like nonsense.

Take this example by Status Quo:
Jebel Hind, Jebel Hind, Jebel Hind,
Jebel Ha-a-a-a-a, Jebel Ha-a-a-a-a,
Wuuuurrr-a,
Number wu-one in the world

Apparently, the last line is "Rockin' all over the world", but it never sounds like that to me.

There was another that might have had something to do with a microwave oven, although that is not what it sounded like:

If if i gu sae, gubble rae gubble,
If if i gu sae, gone to be-eee
UnnnnGGG!

And another which was supposed to be "His Kiss". Replace the K with a P, and that's what I heard. Didn't help that the woman who sang it had a horrible, soupy voice.

I hate muzak!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Doesn't just infect stuff I heard on the radio in the 80s either, how about the chorus of The Holly and the Ivy?

Uma rightlihorn the star,
Uma rightlihorn the dee,
Uma rightlihorn the Christmas pud,
Uma rightlihorn the dee

thefab444

Established Member
My musical taste is basically anything electronic or synthesised, especially from the 80s and 90s. Preferably without vocals but there are some good songs out there as well as instrumentals. Not interested in individual artists really, I judge each track by its merits, not by who composed it.

sprinterguy

Established Member
My current favourites are Delain. A dutch symphonic rock band.
Saw them in Leamington in May and they were excellent.
Delain are absolutely superb; saw them at Sonisphere last summer but couldn't make the Leamington gig unfortunately as I think I was at another show that night. I'm not sure just how many more European symphonic metal bands the world needs mind...

My interests are centered around rock, metal (Primarily power, symphonic and battle metal genres as well as classic rock and metal) and folk rock/folk generally.

I listen to a bit of classical as well; whenever me and the missus are in the car and out of range of any rock radio stations, we automatically revert to classic fm as it's the only radio station where we won't end up shouting at the radio in disgust because something god awful is being played.

SS4

Established Member
My current favourites are Delain. A dutch symphonic rock band.
Saw them in Leamington in May and they were excellent.

I missed them in May, wasn't impressed. I did see them supporting Sonata Arctica and they kicked bottom then so I suspect their own tour would be even better.

Minilad

Established Member
I missed them in May, wasn't impressed. I did see them supporting Sonata Arctica and they kicked bottom then so I suspect their own tour would be even better.

They were fantastic at Leamington. New guitarist on his first tour as well. You wouldn't have known, they were as tight as a gnats chuff.
Oh and Charlotte was bloody gorgeous as well, always a bonus !!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Presumably when people say "indie", they mean "mainstream indie" rather than "indie".

I could probably select most of those options and a few more besides. I tend to steer clear of rap, hip hop, Club, Hands up and I guess jazz, funk and blues too.

Aictos

Established Member
Depends on my mood at the time, sometimes I like to hear a particular genre of music, other times it's nice not to hear anything.

There are some genres which I hate and what amounts to torture.

Clip

Established Member
Listening to Legendary Dj David Rodigan on the Gilles Peterson show last night on Radio 1

Amazing insight and and music

Kernowfem

My music taste is so varied......anything from Enigma (which i love) through to deacon blue, fleetwood mac, belinda carlisle, pink floyd, 30 seconds to mars and Libera.

Rugd1022

Just what does 'indie' mean these days...? Back in my day (yes, in old fart mode already;)) it meant bands on tiny independant labels paying for their own demos and touring the flea pits of Blighty in a beaten up Transit van, who struggled to get any air play on national radio in broad daylight. The Manic Street Preachers were 'indie' when I saw them live in '91, but are they now? Even Primal Scream were considered indie once!

It seems nowadays the term applies to any guitar band you hear on the radio but (sorry, still in old fart mode :oops:) their songs sound as though they were all recorded in the same studio on the same day with the same bloke pressing the 'compression' button on the (digital) mixing desk.....!

Mild rant over... just spilled my Ovaltine ;)

SS4

Established Member
Just what does 'indie' mean these days...? Back in my day (yes, in old fart mode already;)) it meant bands on tiny independant labels paying for their own demos and touring the flea pits of Blighty in a beaten up Transit van, who struggled to get any air play on national radio in broad daylight. The Manic Street Preachers were 'indie' when I saw them live in '91, but are they now? Even Primal Scream were considered indie once!

It seems nowadays the term applies to any guitar band you hear on the radio but (sorry, still in old fart mode :oops:) their songs sound as though they were all recorded in the same studio on the same day with the same bloke pressing the 'compression' button on the (digital) mixing desk.....!

Mild rant over... just spilled my Ovaltine ;)

That's pretty much what it is. Perhaps I could be old enough to exchange my 16-25 railcard for a senior one :p
"Indie" is basically for those who want to appear too cool to like a certain type of music.

Foxhound

Back in my day (yes, in old fart mode already;)) it meant bands on tiny independant labels paying for their own demos and touring the flea pits of Blighty in a beaten up Transit van, who struggled to get any air play on national radio in broad daylight. The Manic Street Preachers were 'indie' when I saw them live in '91, but are they now? Even Primal Scream were considered indie once!

James were the epitome of Indie. I saw them in Plymouth for £1.25 when they'd just signed to Factory. When I mentioned Indie in my post I did mean 80s/early 90s Indie. Although several of my favourite Indie funsters eventually went to major labels (James, New Order, Cud, Wedding Present), they remain Indie in my eyes. And yes, the Manics were Indie once too. I saw them in Exeter when they put their first LP out. Brilliant.

Established Member
Right Now i am listening to the Jam. I am on replay for the song 'News of the World' perhaps becuse of the ironic words by Bruce Foxton. They apply more now then they did when this first came out.

Perhaps we should all download this and let it get to number one.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I tend to listen to Industrial, though my taste is quite varied!

My current top 10 on last.fm
  1. VNV Nation
  2. Covenant
  3. Apoptygma Berzerk
  4. Mesh
  5. Ladytron
  6. L'Âme Immortelle
  7. Goldfrapp
  8. Deathstars
  9. Die So Fluid
  10. Rotersand

Status