• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What newspapers do you normally read

What newspaper do you read

• The Guardian / Observer

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • The Times / Sunday Times

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • The Daily Telegraph / Sunday Telegraph

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Daily Mail / Mail on Sunday

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Daily Express / Sunday Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The Sun / Sun on Sunday

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Daily Star

• Financial Times

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • i

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Evening Standard

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Metro

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • City AM

• Local / Regional Newspapers

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 14.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sk688

Hi , as the title suggests , would like to know what the preferred newspaper is for the members of this forum , just out of interest , Any reasons why would also be appreciated , but not necessary

To start , I prefer The Guardian .

EDIT : Added a poll

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Hi , as the title suggests , would like to know what the preferred newspaper is for the members of this forum , just out of interest , Any reasons why would also be appreciated , but not necessary

To start , I prefer The Guardian .

None.

I will read the Evening Standard if I find one lying about, just to see what they they have to say about issues, but without really taking it too seriously.

Out of the rest, don't mind the Daily Mail or Daily Telegraph, hate the Guardian - but will only read one if I find it lying about and I've got nothing better to do.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
The Guardian, more for the quality and depth of its news reporting than agreement with its opinion pieces, and for the separation between the two.

(I've assumed the poll covers websites as well as printed papers - can't remember the last time I bought one, but I do pay a monthly Supporter subscription to the Guardian to keep it afloat).

Not sure how Mail or Express readers get through the day without wanting to end it all... :)

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Another none here. I just don't have the time to get newspapers, and there is no way of me coming across them normally. I just read stuff on the internet

theblackwatch

Established Member
The Metro is all I ever really look at, plus I will buy the Yorkshire Evening Post/Harrogate Advertiser when there are some Northern vouchers to be had.

Established Member
I read The Mirror mainly, but I also read The Star, The Metro and The Guardian on occasion.

Seacook

I put "other" which in this case means none.

Surely the Evening Standard is local/regional rather than national?
I have never heard of City AM but the name suggests another local/regional rag.

AM9

Veteran Member
Usually get the Times/Sunday Times or the Torygraph free from Waitrose. They, being capitalist papers are better for money news and advice, (they daren't lie too much about that). As far as their view on the world though, I interpret that with tory bias removal filter. There's no point in me just reading news that is biased towards my political opinion, - that wouldn't really inform me, all it would do is reinforce any prejudices that I already have.
However, every so often, I need to reset my moral compass and get the Grauniad. It's a bit bland but does at least cover news that the other two find too awkward to include.

Welly

When I was at school and university, I was lucky to have had access to all four broadsheet papers; Times, Independent, Guardian and Telegraph and so read them all. I found that I preferred the Telegraph - particularly the views of the late Auberon Waugh which taught me to be less dogmatic!

I buy the Telegraph every day but I also look up the Guardian and Mail websites (what a contrast...)

Last edited:

Senex

Established Member
The Guardian and the Mail, because both are still free on line. I don't like the politics of either and can't stand many of the Guardian's columnists, but the news coverage is very good. It's a good few years since I bought a hard-copy newspaper, which was the Telegraph, but then I thought the price I was paying for half-an-hour's reading a day was just too high.

southern442

Established Member
I don't read any. The job of a newspaper is not to report the news, it is to make profit. They can report or mis-report anything they want to so that more people will see them. I was particularly unimpressed with the coverage of the GTR problems, it shows that really they know nothing and only report what their audiences want to report. I will occasionally look in a few, or look at BBC news if I want to read about any specific stories but for the most part I don't bother with news, and as a result news doesn't bother with me.

PeterY

Established Member
I wouldn't waste my money on a newspaper. If I'm traveling and there's a Metro, I'll pick it up.
I get any info I want of the internet.

bavvo

I assume you mean either online as well as paper copies, as otherwise mine would be a none as well.
Anyway, that aside, Guardian mostly these days. I used to read the Independent paper version constantly after it was launched, but not so much in the last ten years, and the online version of that is too clickbaity so switched to the Guardian. The Gruaniad is still a decent paper, although I find its excessive preachyness a bit tedious at times. It also does print alternative (read right wing/brexit) viewpoints from time to time, not something we see in the Telegraph sadly)

For a while read the online Times and Telegraph as well, until they went behind paywalls. The Times is still good, despite it's owner. The Telegraph used to be good, (albeit with a clear bias), now I really don't trust its reporting at all, the brexit campaign destroyed it's credibility for me.

The remaining tabloids have no redeeming features, and are an utter embarrassment.

Calthrop

Established Member
In the interests of staying sane-ish and of reducing the likelihood of my committing suicide – I don’t read newspapers, or watch / listen to the TV or radio news. Being semi-aware of stuff via the Internet, is more than enough for me.

sk688

Should have added a none option , sorry about that

is there any way to edit the poll ?

Should have also made it clearer , I meant what source , even online , but the responses so far are good , thanks to all

EDIT : Forgot BBC News in the poll

takno

Established Member
Nothing to do with it but it's a fact that 50% of the population wouldn't and don't read the Guardian if they did it wouldn't be losing £250,000 every day of the week.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/nrs-t...nd-online-with-mail-still-top-on-29m-a-month/ has the Guardian at number 4 most read newspaper, but only about 10-15% behind second and third. Given that the vast majority of readers are online, and the three ahead of it are relentlessly clickbait-based a huge proportion of their views are likely to be low-engagement, and people will tend to regard them as "reading facebook" or wherever they clicked on the link rather than "reading the mail".

There's no reason at all why a poll of literate internet users interested in trains should precisely match national averages, but it's probably only different from the general population by a factor of 2, rather than being as insane as you suggest.

Incidentally, the losses for last year were around £190k/day. This year's figures are out in a month or so and will be down substantially (albeit higher with redundancy costs). The Sun lost a similar amount in the same year, and the Times also lost money. Rubbish business, newspapers

Bromley boy

Established Member
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/nrs-t...nd-online-with-mail-still-top-on-29m-a-month/ has the Guardian at number 4 most read newspaper, but only about 10-15% behind second and third. Given that the vast majority of readers are online, and the three ahead of it are relentlessly clickbait-based a huge proportion of their views are likely to be low-engagement, and people will tend to regard them as "reading facebook" or wherever they clicked on the link rather than "reading the mail".

There's no reason at all why a poll of literate internet users interested in trains should precisely match national averages, but it's probably only different from the general population by a factor of 2, rather than being as insane as you suggest.

Incidentally, the losses for last year were around £190k/day. This year's figures are out in a month or so and will be down substantially (albeit higher with redundancy costs). The Sun lost a similar amount in the same year, and the Times also lost money. Rubbish business, newspapers

I rarely agree with the politics of the Guardian, but (perhaps for that very reason) it's my go-to online newspaper. When you get beyond the irritating opinion pieces (Polly Toynbee espescially), the general journalism on offer is of a very high quality indeed.

I subscribe to the Times but I'm increasingly wondering why I bother given how little I read it.

The Telegraph is also behind a paywall, has the occasional good article, but isn't worth the subscription, in my view.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I read the Guardian and the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail I won't pay for as its degree of bile makes me feel sick but my dad buys it and doesn't read it for some reason so I flick through. The Guardian is also biased in its own way but doesn't have the same level of vitriol. Due to this the Mail is funnier.

Barn

Established Member
I read the Guardian online, mostly for the humour of its opinion pieces. (See https://twitter.com/somuchguardian for the highlights).

I don't tend to read hardcopy newspapers, but if I do it would previously have been the Telegraph. It has diminished its newsroom to such an extent now, though, that I will probably start giving The Times another go.

r37

I never buy newspapers. If someone leaves one on the train or the bus I might read it if I have nothing else to do, but I usually get news from the radio or the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.