• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What newspapers do you normally read

What newspaper do you read

• The Guardian / Observer

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • The Times / Sunday Times

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • The Daily Telegraph / Sunday Telegraph

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Daily Mail / Mail on Sunday

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Daily Express / Sunday Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The Sun / Sun on Sunday

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Daily Star

• Financial Times

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • i

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Evening Standard

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Metro

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • City AM

• Local / Regional Newspapers

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 14.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
From someone who used to read newspapers avidly and would buy 2 on Sundays I now havent brought a UK paper for years - read FT and Times on rare occasions I travel first class on VTWC and Evening Standard, Metro, City AM from time to time

Butts

Veteran Member
Since the unforunate demise of The Independent I have switched to the "I" - informed and concise and at 60p/80p on Saturdays a bargain.

Only wish they did a Sunday Edition - I have to cough £2.70 or £3.00 for the Sunday Times or Observer !!

Newspaper price increases have certainly outstripped inflation over the last few years...and some !!

Even my favoured I has gone up by a third in the last year although 40-60p is bearable.

robbeech

Established Member
I quite like the Times, i'm partial to a free copy on a train or lounge but its unlikely i'd go and buy one. Infact, I can't remember the last time i bought a newspaper, i think there was a WHSmiths offer on a couple of years ago where you bought a copy of the Times you got a free bottle of water, or it might have been the other way around. Either way, that was the last one i purchased and it was mainly for the water. I will pick up a metro where i can, mostly to do the crossword / sudoku, and i do quite like a read of the Evening Standard when i'm down that way in London or if there is one left on an evening train going north and i board at Retford or similar.
I don't even buy them for the Northern offers as i know others that do so they'll cut out the tokens from the local paper for me.

takno

Established Member
The WHS offer - it's a free bottle of water when you buy the Telegraph; it's still going on.
It's quite a clever campaign - The Telegraph has to be the thing that is charged for otherwise it wouldn't count in their sales figures, but of course the Telegraph is cheaper, meaning you are actually getting a discount on your water in return for the slight inconvenience of having to take a Telegraph to bin.

I could be wrong on this of course. There may be thousands of Telegraph readers who've never previously thought of trying out this fancy bottled water stuff, and are gradually being tempted to try out the benefits of hydration.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah, but I read the Telegraph so in my case I'm not going to be ditching it straight away. Having said that, I don't usually buy it from WHS anyway - and I re-use the water bottles many times over. More often than not if you see me drinking bottled water when I'm out and about it's actually tap water...

Those who do, I really would hope they would be recycling it rather than simply binning it...

takno

Established Member
Ah, but I read the Telegraph so in my case I'm not going to be ditching it straight away. Having said that, I don't usually buy it from WHS anyway - and I re-use the water bottles many times over. More often than not if you see me drinking bottled water when I'm out and about it's actually tap water...

Those who do, I really would hope they would be recycling it rather than simply binning it...
On the toilet-less Crossrail trains people may be recycling them rather more quickly than anticipated.

MonsooN

I work for the Mirror Group so I read The Mirror most days. The Mirror also owns over 100 local newspapers all over England, Scotland and Wales, from big regional titles like the Liverpool Echo and the Manchester Evening News to very small weeklies like the Hinckley Times or the Blairgowerie Advertiser.

Although circulation and readership is down across the board, our audience is bigger than ever through our online content - which we have said should always be free to access. The problem we have from a commercial perspective is turning the huge online audience into revenue. Currently, print is declining faster than online is growing so we are looking for ways to close the gap. At the moment we are acquiring other publishers and merging things behind the scenes. We are currently in discussions to buy The Express and Star group.

Print has been around for over 200 years though and will still be around for a long time to come. I think more papers will go the way of the Evening Standard and be given away for free - this could still be a way off but if the decline continues, it may be the only way to increase circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.