• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What preserved railway extension would you most like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Tait

I would love to see the Kent and East Sussex Railway reinstated all the way from Robertsbridge to Tenterden, connected to the main line at either end and as an extra, the line from Paddock Wood to Goudhurst rebuilt which would be great for the locals as the bus services have been decimated in recent times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UP13

Having visited for the first time yesterday, I would day the Lynton & Barnstaple. Most stunning scenery I've ever seen from a preserved railway carriage.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would love to see the Kent and East Sussex Railway reinstated all the way from Robertsbridge to Tenterden, connected to the main line at either end and as an extra, the line from Paddock Wood to Goudhurst rebuilt which would be great for the locals as the bus services have been decimated in recent times.

I think they are trying to join up from the Robertsbridge end, but there is a big main road that needs to be crossed. (The Goudhurst line would be good too. :) )

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Having visited for the first time yesterday, I would day the Lynton & Barnstaple. Most stunning scenery I've ever seen from a preserved railway carriage.

I think that line is supposed to be extended too.

AndrewE

Established Member
This is a fantasy thread, so we should just stick to the simplistic question "Which preserved railway ride would we like to see extended?" There's no point even suggesting a public transport benefit, let alone debating how a thinly-stretched group of volunteers could cope with twice the distance - even if they could build it in the first place. Making use of a preserved railway to allow a linear walk, e.g. on one of the SVR running days, is one thing, them trying to provide public transport is a different ball-game.
If bus services can't survive in the K&ESR area what makes you think a (probably less frequent and maybe even slower) rail service might be viable?

duffield

Established Member
I think they are trying to join up from the Robertsbridge end, but there is a big main road that needs to be crossed. (The Goudhurst line would be good too. :) )

The main road is not even the biggest issue. That can almost certainly be resolved with conditions re the type of crossing and limits on its use.

They are trying to get compulsory purchase orders as part of a TWAO (Transport and Works Act Order) because one or more farmers won't sell the relevant strips of land. That's the most controversial bit.

Roast Veg

Established Member
And indeed, there has been a thread following its progress, though I've not heard any updates recently.

UP13

Not an extension as such, but I'd like to see Dartmoor Railway services extended.

Unexpectedly visited it a couple of weeks ago on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed the short trip in a MIN hauled by a gronk.

Does anybody know why it only goes between Okehampton and Meldon Quarry?

The Ham

Established Member
I would like to see a 1 mile directly East extension to the Swanage Railway, not that it would serve any practical purpose!

paul1609

Established Member
As far as Tenterden to Robertsbridge goes the remaining gap is not actually that far and work continues to shorten the gap as we speak, see link to the latest report http://rvrailway.blogspot.com/2019/07/work-commences-on-4b-cams.html
The British Railways Board actually tried to get the preservationists to abandon their attempts to save the K&ESR in favour of the Hawkhurst (Goudhurst) Branch as they felt it was a better proposition. In that era apparently there was a lot of clandestine support for the K&ESR in BR against the official stance of the Labour Government who refused the permission to re-open at all initially and resulted in the compromise in the face of a legal challenge to allow us to re-open eventually to Bodiam.
There are some of us at the railway who consider the Robertsbridge Extension to be a 65 year struggle against the Government.

Train Maniac

I would like to see a 1 mile directly East extension to the Swanage Railway, not that it would serve any practical purpose!
Um.... Why?
I guess it would be cool once they've sorted the rigmarole with the 117's out, to try and extend services into Poole (Major population / employment centre). With a bit of rejigging of the kinda disused PW sidings you could set up a terminating platform for Swanage services?

The Ham

Established Member
Um.... Why?
I guess it would be cool once they've sorted the rigmarole with the 117's out, to try and extend services into Poole (Major population / employment centre). With a bit of rejigging of the kinda disused PW sidings you could set up a terminating platform for Swanage services?

East from Swanage Railway at the other end of the line.

bishdunster

There used to be one for about a quarter of a mile, it left the goods yard and crossed Kings Road where the health centre is now and through where the post office now, and ran behind the shops on the south-west side of Station road down a lane (Commercial Road?) with a couple of wagon turntables serving some buildings . This is not to be confused with the narrow gauge pier tramway .

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
The Strathspey Railway extension to Grantown on Spey seems like it would be a winner. Not sure how they would route it over the A95, but I'm sure they have a plan. Aviemore to Grantown would, I think, get a lot of passengers during tourist season.

Train Maniac

The Strathspey Railway extension to Grantown on Spey seems like it would be a winner. Not sure how they would route it over the A95, but I'm sure they have a plan. Aviemore to Grantown would, I think, get a lot of passengers during tourist season.
Its going to be a tunnel. Currently on hold due to environmental concerns from Cairngorn National Park

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Its going to be a tunnel. Currently on hold due to environmental concerns from Cairngorn National Park

That is a pity. If you follow the course of the original railway on Google Earth it looks like it intersects a farm, so I'm not sure what environmental concerns might be raised here. It isn't exactly hacking into untouched wilderness! Maybe the National Park simply want their tithe. I've had some dealings with them before and the phrase 'self important' comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.