• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What proof if any do I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LondonJohn

I live and work in London but am from Southampton originally so will travel between the 2 locations fairly frequently.

Depending on when I will travel I will use a combination of Megatrain tickets. Southern Advanced Fares, Greyhound fares and paying the full Off Peak Return fare.

Eg I will travel Waterloo-Southampton on a Friday afternoon using the outward portion of an Off Peak Return. On Sunday afternoon I will get the 4pm Greyhound departure to London. 2 weeks later I might get a megatrain from Waterloo to Southampton at 1.39pm on a Saturday and return to London later that evening using the return portion of the Off peak return.

In the latter scenario, I would have no luggage as I would only have gone down to Southampton for the day. My question is would this arouse the suspicions of RPI staff why did this guy travel down on day 1 and is returning on day 14 with no luggage.

Whilst I would have proof of the other journeys as they would have been booked online am I under any obligation to provide this information to the guard or RPI staff or should I not worry as I am using the return half of an unused ticket regardless of the fact that I am not carrying luggage?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LondonJohn

Why would people *always* carry luggage? You could have two homes, both with clothes and essentials, or just wear the same clothes for 14 days ;)

True, though if staying over I would always have my laptop and small trolley suitcase, if just going down for the day I might have my laptop but nothing else.

Having seen people have valid tickets challenged I am just thinking the worst and what do I legally have to do or would they just assume that you must have used that ticket before (even though it wouldnt have been through a barrier cause it wouldnt have been) because you cant have been away 2 weeks or a month with no luggage.

If I have a Friday afternoon off I would often get the 1532 Southern train from Victoria to Southampton. Grab a couple of ready made G&Ts from Sainsburys at Victoria and settle down to watch my iplayer catch up.

Similarly, if I have a Monday off, I would get a Southern advanced fare for travel back on Monday morning with no constraints. I can usually juggle each trip so that I can travel on cheap journeys half the time and pay the full fare (railcard discounted) the other.

button_boxer

Established Member
Why should there be any suspicions to arouse? What you suggest is perfectly valid, all the RPI will care about is that the ticket you're trying to use is valid on the day you're using it.

WestCoast

Established Member
I think you might be overthinking this a little.

If you have a valid ticket, you (should) have nothing to fear.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only "proof" you need is a valid ticket. Providing you stick to the restrictions, all the tickets you mention above are valid.
...Having seen people have valid tickets challenged..
We'd need to know details of specific circumstances in order to comment. The best thing would be to mention this site and, if they are unhappy with their treatment they can post the details so we can assist.

LondonJohn

The only "proof" you need is a valid ticket. Providing you stick to the restrictions, all the tickets you mention above are valid.

We'd need to know details of specific circumstances in order to comment. The best thing would be to mention this site and, if they are unhappy with their treatment they can post the details so we can assist.

The one with the Club 55 ticket where the FGW staff werent sure of the T&C until the poster showed 3 members of staff the T&C.

The one at Southampton Central where the validity needed to be checked.

Its true, I dont have anything to worry about as the unused ticket being used within its validity on a fairly straightforward ticket with few restrictions. I guess I am worrying over nothing and I would have proof of the other journeys.

sheff1

Established Member

The OP could be referring to my recent experience at Southampton. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=828256

On that occasion I was told my ticket had expired when I came to return to London - with luggage - two days after my outward journey.

I am still awaiting a response from SWT.

Lampshade

Established Member
I used to do that travelling between home and uni, I'd have an off-peak return but occasionally get a lift back, so I'd use a TPE Advance back to uni and use the unused return portion to get home again.

As Yorkie said, the only "proof" you need is a valid ticket, you may have hired a man with van to take your luggage by road for all they know.

Why would people *always* carry luggage? You could have two homes, both with clothes and essentials, or just wear the same clothes for 14 days ;)

Nudist camp? :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The guard probably won't see you board. If your luggage was in a rack they wouldn't know about it.

island

Veteran Member
Non-issue. But given the amount of angst in general about UK rail ticketing, and involving SWT in specific, I am not altogether surprised at the question.

I spoke to a NZ couple here in Melbourne yesterday and they were extremely surprised that someone travelling from London to Manchester might be charged up for £139.50 for getting the wrong train.

AndyLandy

Established Member
But given the amount of angst in general about UK rail ticketing, and involving SWT in specific

SWT in specific? I've harboured the view that SWT were on the whole less friendly or helpful than other TOC staff I've had to deal with, but I'd just assumed I'd gotten unlucky with the particular people I'd dealt with. I've never had any real problems per-se, just people who were more brash and condescending than I'm used to.

island

Veteran Member
SWT in specific? I've harboured the view that SWT were on the whole less friendly or helpful than other TOC staff I've had to deal with, but I'd just assumed I'd gotten unlucky with the particular people I'd dealt with. I've never had any real problems per-se, just people who were more brash and condescending than I'm used to.

Most/all issues I've detected about staff conduct or competence on National Rail services have been SWT and EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.