• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What recent improvements have their been in rolling stock technology/production, and how has this developed over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
I was wondering about this question, then realised the perfect forum to answer such a query!

Essentially the point is, what technologies, production techniques and materials do modern train designers have at their disposal for the latest generations of trains, that may have not existed 5, 10, 15 or 20+ years ago?

A recent development that comes to mind is more prevalent bi-mode technology.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

London Trains

SDO? Older trains definitely don't have this, it is very good as long trains can call at any station they may otherwise not be long enough to call at. It is very well used across the Southern network where the rolling stock in use is new enough to have it.

Digital information screens, found on Aventras and Desiro City trains? Until very recently, pretty much everything in train were dot matrix displays.

class379

Train acceleration? Comparing an Aventra/Electrostar/Desiro to any mk3 based EMU really shows how far we have come

apinnard

Train to shore diagnostics has to be up there.

Second this. In 2010 I remember sitting with Eversholt’s fleet manager for a certain 3rd rail fleet based somewhere in the South East and him showing me on his laptop all the things from the fleet in realtime; brake handle position, speed, diagnostics etc. All very interesting stuff.

Second this. In 2010 I remember sitting with Eversholt’s fleet manager for a certain 3rd rail fleet based somewhere in the South East and him showing me on his laptop all the things from the fleet in realtime; brake handle position, speed, diagnostics etc. All very interesting stuff.

Take for example a DMU fleet in the summer (every fleet?!). Filter search for coolant/charge air overtemps for the whole fleet, check Genius for where they should end up that evening and any that are in a suitable depot can have their radiators cleaned. Next morning full power can resume on those units! That's if everything goes to plan of course.

Another example - general fleet driveline search brings up a unit with a transmission direction selection fault. Cross reference fault codes with logic charts and electrical schematics and you can have a pretty good idea what coil/wire/sensor has failed. Check genius if it comes back that night, if so then check parts are in stock and get some notes together for who's in on nights. Come night time, all you need is the unit in the shed. Of course in practice it's not so smooth every time but the potential is certainly there.

It's extremely rare that you'd have to bother the drivers, guards or passengers travelling on them to find intermittent faults. It's recorded and allows you to see what condition certain components like microswitches, relays etc were in at the time.

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
And yet people still try to argue that we don't need electrical connectors between trains just so their favourite units can work in multiple...

AM9

Veteran Member
Train acceleration? Comparing an Aventra/Electrostar/Desiro to any mk3 based EMU really shows how far we have come
I don't think that the ability to accelerate at current rates is necessarily as a result of recent technologies that weren't available in MKIII days. Some of the pre-BR EMUs had acceleration rates in the same ranges and have been mentioned on these forums. I can't remember specifically which but I believe that the LMS Wirral/Southport class 503 & 502 EMUs and the LNER MSJ&A class 505 units seem to ring a bell. Ever since viable DC traction motors have been available for general use, (the c. 1935 EE 507 range was the big pioneer in the UK), there has always been an option to provide more power to improve acceleration for metro duties.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Much more powerful engines for a given size (compare a Class 20 to what fits under a Class 800).
AC traction motors
Exhaust Emissions after treatment
Much safer interior fittings
Retention toilets

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
The BR/Brecknell Willis high-speed pantograph was a milestone in UK OLE power collection. There was effectively a 100mph speed limit with tits predecessor the Stone-Faiveley type and even though many of the MKIII EMUs were built with them, the Brecknell Willis type has now virtually replaced all of them. The big gain of the high-speed type is that it's ailerons can be tuned to maintain stability at higher speeds for many types of pantograph wells and roof profiles. As such, this has enabled it to be exported to many overseas operators in cluding the Amtrack Acelas.

On Moderation
AC traction motors
Adding to that, the progression from GTO to IGBT electronics to control the AC motors, and the benefits in terms of efficiency, weight and space required that resulted.

Roast Veg

Established Member
On-train CCTV as well, improvements to doors including leading edge detection and sealing, live information in PISes, loading indicatiors, live seat reservations, better quality (in some cases an improvement from non-existant) PA systems, massive improvements to HVAC, LED lighting both inside and out (including the phasing out of yellow ends where possible).
Regenerative and rheostatic braking, fantastic for reducing expensive brake blocks, did exist as far back as the Woodhead line - it's now pretty much standard across all new fleets of any kind.

AM9

Veteran Member
Seating designed in conjunction with orthopaedic inputs to benefit passengers'* posture and ultimately their health in mind.

* the majority of passengers with normal requirements

Jozhua

Established Member
Very Interesting!

Seems like a lot of the improvements have been behind the scenes too, allowing maintenance to take place more effectively, etc.

I know cars have had diagnostics for a number of years now, so it is good to see that this technology is being used in trains too.

Keep em coming if anyone has any more in mind!

LancasterRed

Capacity monitoring, so you know in real time where to stand to get a seat. This will become more prevalent in coming years, of course.

Use of PLCs and bus networks to deliver all the latest functions you expect on a modern train. I think the bog seat is the only thing that's really manual these days - the way whatever you leave beneath it is handled certainly isn't!

On Moderation
Seating designed in conjunction with orthopaedic inputs to benefit passengers'* posture and ultimately their health in mind.

* the majority of passengers with normal requirements
If you believe that you’ll believe anything. Seating choice is based on two things: applicable standards and cost. Comfort is unimportant on the railway.

If you believe that you’ll believe anything. Seating choice is based on two things: applicable standards and cost. Comfort is unimportant on the railway.

The same might apply also to bogie design, unless specified to live upto the standard of whatever rolling stock is being replaced.

AM9

Veteran Member
Where did I use the word 'comfort'?

On Moderation
Where did I use the word 'comfort'?
Ok, fair enough. You used the word “benefit”. I don’t see the benefit of getting off the train with an aching body because of the seats.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Another one inspired by a passing comment above: lightweight bogie design, one of the largest single masses for any vehicle.

Hot axle box detection (HABD), many crashworthiness improvements including anti-climb and far more driver protection than in old units where the driver's cab was the crumple zone itself. Great improvements to bogie and coupling designs that dramatically reduct the chances of vehicles whithin a unit jacknifing in a collision. Most of these have come from better specification rather than pure innovation.

Wheelslip and wheel slide prevention (WSP) means far fewer trips to the wheel lathe than ever, especially in autumn. What was known as SEPEX has also made its way into distributed traction as well meaning that one slippery spot doesn't flatten a tyre.

Flexible vehicle body designs (the Hitachi AT series, Bombardier Aventra, Siemens Desiro City et. al) alongside "raft" based components mean that one size fits nearly all tenders - door layout, vehicle length, engines/transformers/traction motors are all wildly interchangeable now where an entirely new design might have been required before. Just look at the 345s: in some places they have their traction inverters located on the carriage one-over from where the motors are, because it makes the best use of underfloor space.

This isn't limited to multiple units either - the class 58 borrowed some fantastic modularity and maintenance accesibility from the US way of doing things, but even the 73s were pretty good to take apart and put back together again, hence the 73/9 conversions.

AM9

Veteran Member
Ok, fair enough. You used the word “benefit”. I don’t see the benefit of getting off the train with an aching body because of the seats.
Most modern train seats are designed to promote better sitting postures. Although a few may have an issue with the specific posture, (you can never please all the people etc...) the designed-in ergonomics are created for better muscle and bone health. This is nothing to do with comfort, as seating comfort is a subjective thing. However, the soggy train seating of old was frequently inadequate for creating a good posture.

Mikey C

Established Member
SDO? Older trains definitely don't have this, it is very good as long trains can call at any station they may otherwise not be long enough to call at. It is very well used across the Southern network where the rolling stock in use is new enough to have it.

Digital information screens, found on Aventras and Desiro City trains? Until very recently, pretty much everything in train were dot matrix displays.
The screens on the 700, giving information about loading, working toilets, service updates on the Tube etc are very impressive

Mikey C

Established Member
WiFi

It reflects changes in society as a whole, where WiFi went from being a selling point in public spaces, pubs etc to a standard feature, but I've been impressed how much better train WiFi has become when compared to when it first arrived.

Jozhua

Established Member
Capacity monitoring, so you know in real time where to stand to get a seat. This will become more prevalent in coming years, of course.
Hopefully capacity monitoring can be best used to allocate resources on the network and identify bottlenecks in terms of passenger loadings. It would be good to be able to quantify how overcrowded certain services are too, especially if it gets the DFT to pay attention!
The screens on the 700, giving information about loading, working toilets, service updates on the Tube etc are very impressive
I was impressed by those when I travelled on one! I know the Azumas use this technology too.
WiFi

It reflects changes in society as a whole, where WiFi went from being a selling point in public spaces, pubs etc to a standard feature, but I've been impressed how much better train WiFi has become when compared to when it first arrived.
To be fair, I find I don't need WiFi on a train, as mobile data and data plans have become so much better recently, many are probably in the same position!

Mikey C

Established Member
To be fair, I find I don't need WiFi on a train, as mobile data and data plans have become so much better recently, many are probably in the same position!
I find the WiFi signal stronger than 4G, especially in the countryside

Energy

Established Member
I was impressed by those when I travelled on one! I know the Azumas use this technology too.
They weren't specified with it! Trains which use these are:
Key: ? - can't confirm but I think so, still under construction, KeTech System, Televic Rail System, Stadler system, Bombardier system
Commuter Trains 350s, 168s?, 700, 707s, 717s, 701s, 345s, 710s, 720s, 730?, 331, 195, 196, 197

Flirts 745, 755, 231?, 756?

Express Trains Non Azuma LNER trains, Hull Trains 180s, Chiltern MK3 sets?

I am going to spin this off into a seperate thread though!

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I find the WiFi signal stronger than 4G, especially in the countryside

Exactly; I don’t know what the insistence is (on a few other forum discussions) that trains don’t need WiFi. I also don’t want to be tied down to my phone if I need to catch up on a few tasks with my laptop.

ComUtoR

Established Member
GSM-R is a massive improvement and integral to ERTMS operation. Bringing ATO, In cab signalling, Increased safety, and Clearer communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.