• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what Rolling stock would the hogwarts express be using today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeter45

considering the economics/age/pollution of the a 90 year old GWR 4900 you would think at some point they would upgrade the hogwarts express to something a bit more new/shiny?
now thinking of a HST Hogwarts express now :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
considering the economics/age/pollution of the a 90 year old GWR 4900 you would think at some point they would upgrade the hogwarts express to something a bit more new/shiny?

In terms of modern traction, I'm sure A1 Tornado could take over? ;)

Seriously though, it would have to be a Pendo. Pulled by a team of Patronus' of course off the OHLE.

Maybe a 442 though...

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Musing on this thread, I entered "Hogwarts" in the forums' "search" facility. A little to my surprise, I found that it fetched up no less than fourteen pages of back-references to posts containing the word. The majority were -- as one might expect -- about things to do with 5972 and / or the Fort William -- Mallaig line; or connected with various "Quizzes and Games"; but there was also a fair bit of other material -- as witness this present thread !

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Surely the loco would or could have various charms and spells cast upon it making any question of those issues superfluous? ;)

Roast Veg

Established Member
Since the locomotive was made at Crewe by Muggle workers in 1830[sic], received magical modifications immediately, and continued to provide a service of one train each way per year until at least 1997, I would assume that it would still be in service today. Any replacement would likely be with brand new self propelled stock - perhaps a Hitachi AT300 with magically extended batteries.

D365

Veteran Member
Since the locomotive was made at Crewe by Muggle workers in 1830[sic], received magical modifications immediately, and continued to provide a service of one train each way per year until at least 1997, I would assume that it would still be in service today. Any replacement would likely be with brand new self propelled stock - perhaps a Hitachi AT300 with magically extended batteries.

As far as I know, they also provide a return trip to Kings Cross, either side of the Christmas break. Just seeing if we can improve the business case ;)

hooverboy

On Moderation
HST. Mainly because when one rolled into Stirling, someone on the platform asked "is that the Harry Potter train?" .
I agree.

It does have a certain degree of quaintness to it as a heritage type train,and is very much modelled as express.
I don't think HST's would get quite the same green-bashing as a deltic would, they are perceived as a bit more environmentally friendly.

A deltic+mk2's would be very good though,they do have such nice "racey" engines that make them sound super fast.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Dr Beeching would have closed the line in the 60s, and so it would be a replacement coach service.

Quoth A. Dumbledore: "Who is this Dr. Beeching of whom you Muggles speak? We know him not, and spurn and disregard whatever non-wizardly nonsense he might perpetrate."

D365

Veteran Member
A deltic+mk2's would be very good though,they do have such nice "racey" engines that make them sound super fast.

If you ever get the chance to drive one "light engine", the acceleration is phenomenal. And that's even with only one engine!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Perhaps you could couple together every Adelante ever built. After all, Hogwarts magic could probably fix the various problems that Alstom have had. And if it couldn't, you have enough carriages that you could just detach the problematic unit and carry on.

Welly

A Class 325 EMU - it's already in red! Never mind the lack of windows, they can use the same fake windows inside as the Ministry of Magic uses!

Status
Not open for further replies.