• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What routes can 37/7s not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
They can't do Westbury-Weymouth. When Canton chucked out 803 on the Weymouth it got ripped at Westbury for 211.

D6975

Established Member
Weight I think, but not sure. I think there's a section of RA6.

hst43102

Thanks for the replies. I was reading an article in RAIL which said that DRS 37716 is not cleared to do certain Yorkshire RHTT journeys, I assume there are some weight restrictions in place?

D6975

Established Member
There's a weak bridge on the Penistone line that means only 20s or MPVs can do RHTT on that line.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I was reading an article in RAIL which said that DRS 37716 is not cleared to do certain Yorkshire RHTT journeys, I assume there are some weight restrictions in place?
There's a weak bridge on the Penistone line that means only 20s or MPVs can do RHTT on that line.
There's also a weak bridge at Ecclesfield on the Hallam Line between Chapeltown and Meadowhall too, which restricts other locomotives on that line so I'm guessing 37/7's are included in that too.

Mack91

In the 2020 RHTT season the DRS Class 37s (including 37716) worked with a loco on each end between Sheffield, Barnsley and Wakefield Kirkgate, as well as the Penistone Line.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not forgetting that 37/7s have a concrete block in place of the steam heat boiler, so are heavier than other sub classes

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Paddock viaduct is the one you're thinking of I think. Didn't know it had any restrictions nowadays other than 10mph max speed for locos, as since it was repaired in the 2000s it has had some pretty heavy railtours go over including kettles with a 47 on the back. Prior to that work being carried out locomotives were completely barred, and the RHTT duties turned back South at Lockwood.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Not forgetting that 37/7s have a concrete block in place of the steam heat boiler, so are heavier than other sub classes
Most locos had something if there was no boiler so as not to upset weight distribution. 45/1s had two concrete blocks put in but were still 3 tonnes lighter than a 45/0. 37/7s had steel plates/blocks put in (mostly in engine room, I believe) to increase weight to 120 tonnes to improve adhesion.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Most locos had something if there was no boiler so as not to upset weight distribution. 45/1s had two concrete blocks put in but were still 3 tonnes lighter than a 45/0. 37/7s had steel plates/blocks put in (mostly in engine room, I believe) to increase weight to 120 tonnes to improve adhesion.
That's interesting information

D6975

Established Member
In the 2020 RHTT season the DRS Class 37s (including 37716) worked with a loco on each end between Sheffield, Barnsley and Wakefield Kirkgate, as well as the Penistone Line.
They didn't run all the way to Huddersfield, they turned back before the viaduct.

Mack91

They didn't run all the way to Huddersfield, they turned back before the viaduct.
Ah right thank you. I was away at university during the RHTT season so only really went off the photos my dad sent me!

On Moderation
I doubt the RHTT tanks are through wired for a DBSO...
The RHTT flats do have through multi-working cabling, for blue star and AAR, I think. To run with a DBSO, you'd need to thread an ETH connection through, and going back to the original idea, a 37/4 rather than 37/0.

DB did use the DVT from the company train on RHTT work a while back; presumably some sort of ETH connection was rigged up?

Whistler40145

Established Member
The RHTT flats do have through multi-working cabling, for blue star and AAR, I think. To run with a DBSO, you'd need to thread an ETH connection through, and going back to the original idea, a 37/4 rather than 37/0.

DB did use the DVT from the company train on RHTT work a while back; presumably some sort of ETH connection was rigged up?
I'm wondering when using a DVT, why would the RHTT require an ETH supply?

On Moderation
I'm wondering when using a DVT, why would the RHTT require an ETH supply?
The DVT will need a power supply for heating, lighting, control circuits etc. You're not going to risk it running off the batteries on a whole day diagram.

Doesn't the signal from the DVT go over the ETH system?
No the control signals go over the AAR jumpers.

Roast Veg

Established Member

Well colour me surprised indeed. Flicking through the video above frame by frame it looks like the cables are pretty much just laid across the flats under the tanks. Interesting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.