• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What size coffee do you order in a takeaway coffee shop?

What size coffee do you order?

• Large

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Medium

Votes: 45 42.1%
  • Small

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Extra small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Espresso size

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I use my own cup for which a size cannot be assigned

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I do not order takeaway coffee

Votes: 29 27.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Medium - although of course in some establishments it's called "Grande" - on the same basis as NASA named the male astronauts' personal gear, I presume.

But male matron's or midwives are not referred to as matron men or midwife men . If you had a male tea server , would you still call him a tea lady .

A male matron ought to be a patron but isn't. Nothing wrong with a male midwife because the "mid" bit means "with" (from Old English - similar to German "mit") - so it's somebody who is with a woman (during labour). A male tea-lady is, of course, a mobile sandwich man. A barista is gender neutral in the original Italian, but if you have several you have to make your mind up between "baristi" (barmen) or "bariste" (barmaids). Thank goodness for the aristocracy speaking French for a couple of hundred years during which English as spoke by the masses got rid of genders!

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
For me, it depends where I am, what I am doing and whether or not my next cuppa is hours away, such as if I'm out in a remote location photographing with no amenities nearby. Generally, I will order a "small" as even then, the takeaway cups are large and the barista puts in too much water and I have to tell him or her to tip some out.

At one of my workplaces, coffee is free and comes in a very handy sized small(ish) cup

But I'm also an avid fresh tea drinker including matcha...

Bobdogs

I will never patronise any of these,in my opinion, glorified caffs. On a recent course at a local university and, finding the canteen was serving Coxxalot drink, I settled for a glass of water.
I will have a coffee from a greasy spoon or a burger van.
In a cup or mug.
Can't be doing with all this small, medium and large twaddle.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I will never patronise any of these,in my opinion, glorified caffs. On a recent course at a local university and, finding the canteen was serving Coxxalot drink, I settled for a glass of water.
I will have a coffee from a greasy spoon or a burger van.
In a cup or mug.
Can't be doing with all this small, medium and large twaddle.
Only one size traditionally in Italy i.e. our small: only exception a single or double espresso, but we rarely have the right machines in this country to offer a true espresso, and even when we do it's let down either by the inability of the barista to meet the requirements, or inferior quality coffee, or both.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Your opinion. Doesn't bother me. Forgive me for not wanting to waste money
There's a boundary between price and quality with what's worthwhile but just going for instant because of the price strikes me as a very cheap move. A classic example for me is bags of cookies at things like Tesco and Sainsbury's. You tend to have 5 poorer quality cookies at a cheaper price than 4 good quality ones. I personally always go for the good quality ones at the higher price and got into a debate with a friend who decided it wasn't worth the cost for him - when he tried one of mine he agreed that I was right :lol:

Anyway, for the thread topic, normally my own thermal mug but a large if not.

xc170

Your opinion. Doesn't bother me. Forgive me for not wanting to waste money

The few remaining places that still sell instant coffee charge nearly as much as the places that sell real coffee these days...

DerekC

Established Member
The few remaining places that still sell instant coffee charge nearly as much as the places that sell real coffee these days...

I can buy a large mug of instant coffee for £1 at our local fishing lake café. (It's a DIY job, but I don't complain about that).

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm not much of a coffee drinker; I prefer tea or hot-chocolate.

I rarely order from the large chains (Starbucks/Costa/Nero) because they are expensive. Elsewhere, I tend to just ask for the drink, and trust them to select an appropriate size (and if they ask, usually I'll say small or medium).

If I'm cold, I will sometimes buy tea from Greggs or McDonalds. IIRC both charge only 99p, and while the tea is foul compared to what I'd drink at home, it's marginally superior to hot water in my opinion. I'll add to this that all I do at home is leave a tea bag in some hot water for a minute and add milk. Not rocket-science.

A particular frustration is cafes filling cups of tea right to the brim and leaving no room for milk. I like my tea quite milky personally, so I inevitably end up having to tip some out.

UP13

I only drink black unsweetened coffee. I have a pretty good travel cup (lockable lid so it can be chucked in a bag without chance of spillages) as well as an espresso machine at home, which I'm currently enjoying now. Pretty much never buy coffee out as I have ready access to proper coffee for a fraction of the price at home. If I do I just use my travel mug.

Tea in coffee shops is a rip off. They literally give you a teabag in a cup of water that is nowhere near boiling point.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Tea in coffee shops is a rip off. They literally give you a teabag in a cup of water that is nowhere near boiling point.
They don't really want people drinking tea, so they charge the earth and make it undrinkable to anyone with taste buds!

snail

Established Member
Agreed! I only paid £1 in a fancy coffee shop for their filter coffee (black) this morning near Manchester Oxford Road before 9.30am - https://www.fdncoffee.com/location. And the discount for using your own cup at other times is welcome too!
Pret do filter in your own cup for 49p, Starbucks it's £1.45 but with a free refill if you use their app. Or I get a reasonable bean to cup cappuccino from the Spar.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The trouble is, there is no definition of large, medium or small.

I wish they'd show how many ml of coffee you got for your money or, better still, sell it by the ml.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I wish they'd show how many ml of coffee you got for your money or, better still, sell it by the ml.
No, no, no! Would add another ten minutes to the queue when all you want is coffee instantly (as opposed to instant coffee.) That's one reason why I won't have a Costa Card, just watching people faffing around while they find it, then want to interrogate the barista as to how many decaff lattes they must purchase before they get a 'free' one :lol:

snail

Established Member

"Small" is normally 12fl oz (340ml), medium 16fl oz (454ml) and large 20 fl oz.(568ml), though the names get conflated into Tall/Primo/Regular etc.. Why anyone needs a pint of steamed or frothed milk disguised as coffee is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.