• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What sort of train did I travel on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camperdown9

Chestfield, Kent & Chatillon Sur-Seine, Burgundy
Hi

My interest in railways is really new and I am here to learn...so please forgive me for asking daft questions!

1. A few months ago we needed to travel from London to Saltburn (SLB). We went via Darlington. It was Virgin East coast from Kings Cross and then Northern from Darlington to Saltburn. The little train that operated the Darlington to Saltburn sector felt more like a bus. It was fairly small. My question is does anyone know what type of rolling stock Northern use on this route?

2. In the mid 1990's I used to take a train from Barking to Upper Holloway. (The final destination of the route was Gospel Oak). It was a slam door two carriage type train. Does anyone know the operator and the type of rolling stock.

Last question....sorry

3. In the late 1970's I lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland and as a small child I remember being taken from Belfast to Lisburn and also from Belfast to Holywood to visit family. I think the rolling stock was NIR class 80. Was this rolling stock made just for NIR or was it a version of something else (BR stock)? Also I kind of remember being on a train in Northern Ireland that had corridors, the NIR 80 looks fairly small. Does anyone know if any NIR stock had corridors?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E_Reeves

Established Member
Only can answer question 1, sorry.

There could be a few it could be. If it was more like a bus, it could've well been a class 142. They were built cheap and even use bus doors. Another one is a class 156, but I'm not sure. 142s definitely feel more like a bus...

AndyW33

Hi

In the late 1970's I lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland and as a small child I remember being taken from Belfast to Lisburn and also from Belfast to Holywood to visit family. I think the rolling stock was NIR class 80. Was this rolling stock made just for NIR or was it a version of something else (BR stock)? Also I kind of remember being on a train in Northern Ireland that had corridors, the NIR 80 looks fairly small. Does anyone know if any NIR stock had corridors?

Thanks

Alex

The NIR 80 class was built by BR for NIR. They could be described as the only BR Mark2 DMUs, in that the bodyshells had the same design features as the Mark 2b loco hauled coaches and the 310/311/312 EMUs, but diesel powered. So yes, it was made just for NIR, but mostly out of components and using jigs that BR used for their own rolling stock and electric units of the period.

When you talk about corridor trains, NIR had standard BR-built Mark 2b loco hauled coaches they used for the Belfast-Dublin "Enterprise" service. But the 80 class units had gangway connections in some (but not all) of the driving coaches, so they could assemble quite a long formation of 80-class units and you could walk between coaches for the full length of the train.
There would also have been a few of the earlier generation of "MPD" class multiple units about in the mid to late 70s and these too had gangway connections in most of the driving coaches so you could walk the full length of a train made up of several units.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo to Saltburn will have been a class 142. You sometimes get a higher quality class 156 train on that route but you would know straight away as they have tables

The Gospel Oak services may have been a class 117 unit.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hi
2. In the mid 1990's I used to take a train from Barking to Upper Holloway. (The final destination of the route was Gospel Oak). It was a slam door two carriage type train. Does anyone know the operator and the type of rolling stock.

That would have been Network SouthEast in those days, just prior to privatisation. Almost certainly by that date you would have been on a two car class 117 unit that had been displaced from the Paddington and Reading area suburban routes by the then new class 165s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/12915105264 ( Not my photo )

Status
Not open for further replies.