• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What station is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hello
In the 2003 me and my parents went on holiday to devon and we got a voyager from Crewe to Exerter. I remember are voyager stopped at a station the reversed the other way. Does anyone know what station this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
Hello
In the 2003 me and my parents went on holiday to devon and we got a voyager from Crewe to Exerter. I remember are voyager stopped at a station the reversed the other way. Does anyone know what station this?

Bristol Parkway it would seem. Did you change at Birmingham New Street?

hstmatt

It might of been Birmingham new street but i dont think it was because the station wasnt big like new street and the train had no reason to reverse at birmingham. As for chester it could not have been as the train never went there.

Eagle

Established Member
It might of been Birmingham new street but i dont think it was because the station wasnt big like new street and the train had no reason to reverse at birmingham. As for chester it could not have been as the train never went there.

In that case you must have been on one of the few services that called at Gloucester.

(As for not reversing at BHM, you must have gone down the Camp Hill line instead of the normal way out via Fiveways.)

Birmingham New Street is where all/majority of cross country services reverse. Been a bygone scene since BR days

Eagle

Established Member
Birmingham New Street is where all/majority of cross country services reverse. Been a bygone scene since BR days

It's not a majority, it's only half (less than half once you take the Camp Hill into account)! Anyway we've established it wasn't Birmingham, so it must have been Gloucester.

Eagle

Established Member
Well i cannot remember the jorney itself it way 9 years ago i can only remember bits.

The calling pattern would have been:

Crewe
(Stafford?)
Wolverhampton
Birmingham New Street
Cheltenham Spa
Gloucester
Bristol Parkway
Bristol Temple Meads
Taunton
Tiverton Parkway
Exeter St Davids

TEW

Established Member
If there were engineering works it could have reversed at Bristol Temple Meads and ran via Westbury, or it could have ran via Gloucester and Severn Tunnel Junction and reversed at Newport, returning via Severn Tunnel Junction and Patchway, again if there were engineering works.

Nothing to do with the original question, but in BR days with conventional loco-hauled rolling stock with facing/back to engine reservations, the West Country - Scotland axis could cause havoc with reversals at Gloucester, Birmingham New Street and Edinburgh Waverley.

Punters routinely turned up along the route and claimed you were in their seat (eg 24 facing) when in fact it was now (24 back to engine). Trying to explain that it all depended on how things were in the first 40 miles between Bristol and Gloucester to someone getting on at Inverkeithing (or similar) was a fairly fruitless exercise.

A Sunday diversion via the S&C with yet another reversal at Preston only added to the fun.

But how easily the railway in those days coped with uncoupling / running round / re-coupling / brake test and off we go again. The Swiss still do.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.