• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What swings the balance for you between a direct service and one where you change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I did start reading every post on this thread, out of curiosity on how others make their decisions. However, I got bored on page 2 :lol:

So instead I'm jumping right in. When it comes to deciding between direct and a change, I naturally look at the price first. If a change is cheaper, then that will peak my interest. Then it comes down to connection time, and if it's tight whether I know it's likely I'll make it or not. Newport, I'm looking at you specifically here :lol:

Then it comes down to what options I have to fill the time during the connection if it's not just a case of off one train and onto another. Is there time for a coffee, for example. Motive power also decides it for me by now too.

There's also the fact a change usually gives me a chance to get up and stretch the legs a bit, and for someone who loves being active then this is an important decision.

These days, I'm expecting it to be likely that I need to take my bike with me on my (again, expected to be much less frequent) journeys. Multiple cycle reservations aren't going to be welcome, so a direct train with just one will be most welcome.

Finally if there's luggage to be taken, that gets added to the consideration.

So for an example, these days if I was travelling to London (and in one direction or the other, sometime in the next 12 months I will be doing so, but not for a day out on the trains), I would most likely choose a direct Hereford-London Paddington service. Decent enough train for my needs, and the route is usually at a reasonable price. Times normally work fine for me, so I would be a fool to choose any other route. Given the bike will be travelling with me on this specific journey, going via Birmingham on the cheap is not what I will be looking at. Better for the bank balance but no dedicated cycle space on WMR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
My usual criteria for deciding if i would use a direct service or one that requires changing are usually:

- Splits? Are there cheaper splits on one route or another?
- Traction? If it involves a 150/153/Chiltern mk3 or a xc voyager on its own then no chance (150/153 due to the broom closet lavatories, XC voyagers due to their usual overcrowding and Chiltern mk3s due to their seats not being suitable for someone with my circumference!)
- Length/Type of change? If its a 7 min change at New St off a Walsall bound local on 1 to a Hereford on 12, forget it. If its same/cross platform then fair enough.
- Catering facilities? If a change point has decent foor at a fair price then fair enough. If its Uppercrust or a SSP rip off brand then forget it.
- Is it a required unit/line? If so then I'd go for it!
- Finally, if its a long wait, what frequency of trains/buses serve it to get photos of?

Status
Not open for further replies.