• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What ticket for a Derby-Burton-Derby-Burton journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

Tomorrow I want to go from Derby to Burton and back to Derby in the morning peak, and then, late in the evening, travel from Derby back to Burton one way.

I strongly suspect the only way to do this is to buy a Derby to Burton return in the morning, then buy a single in the evening. I'm just checking there's not a cheaper way? Some sort of day pass?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Tomorrow I want to go from Derby to Burton and back to Derby in the morning peak, and then, late in the evening, travel from Derby back to Burton one way.

I strongly suspect the only way to do this is to buy a Derby to Burton return in the morning, then buy a single in the evening. I'm just checking there's not a cheaper way? Some sort of day pass?
There are various rangers available but they are all more expensive than an Anytime Day Return (SDR) plus an Off-Peak or Anytime Day Single (SDS/CDS). There may be 'loophole' tickets available but if there are then I am not aware of any. Alternatively, depending on the exact times of your travel and your flexiblity about which stations you go to/from, you may be able to save a little by getting Advances - e.g. Tamworth to Derby - even if this means doubling back (as you can't start late at Burton on an Advance). It depends on the price.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I'm guessing the Derbyshire Wayfarer isn't valid in the morning peak?

On bus it is, on train it's after 09.00.

The only cheaper alternative I can suggest is to get the bus, Arriva day ticket is £6.50.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not before 09:00, no. It's very unlikely, but there may be a slight saving if, for the first "leg", you can get an Advance to Tamworth and then double back. Then for the rest of your journey you could use the Derbyshire Wayfarer.

Comstock

OK cheers guys.

Bus is no good because I'll have a folding bike with me in the evening.

Looks like I'm getting a return and a single after all.

ooo

Status
Not open for further replies.