• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to ask a train driver to learn about their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken1234

Hello.

I might be going to my local depot soon to learn more about the train driver job, what transferable skills I have from my current role, and just to get some insight into the daily duties of a train driver.

Are there any in-depth or even just general questions you'd recommend me asking?

Some things I may ask are:

- What are your daily duties like?
- What main safety concerns do you have while you go about your duties?
- Are there any aspects of the job you wish could improve?
- What aspects of the job do you like most?
- Is there much avenue for progression and development from train driver onwards?
- How do you see the rail industry, and your role, changing within the next decade or two?

Do you think there are other more important information to get?

I'm going to use a lot of information I get in my interview stage, if I'm fortunate enough to get to that stage!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Ask them :

What they hate the most.
What are the detrimental effects of shift working.
What are the incident rates like.
Do they every wonder about killing a Passenger/Person.
What are the specific Driver terms and conditions.
What their favorite traction is.
Favorite route.
How is the internal communication.
Can you see a diagram.
What is the depot culture like.
What are the Managers like and how do they treat you.
What is the chain of care like.
What is the training like.
How long is the average career.
Staff turnover, depot turnover.

Probably more if you need.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I’d be careful who you talk to in terms of length of service. Maybe not careful as such, but bear in mind some of the ‘older’ drivers (or rail staff in general to be fair) can come across as a tad militant and generally miserable. Try and speak to a manager in the first instance (which I’ll assume you intend to given you’re visiting a depot?) and let them guide you, as they should be more on the open minded side and won’t simply slag off the company.

I visited the depot I applied to at Freightliner and my first encounter was a ‘time served’ driver, who quite frankly wasn’t at all interested and was the ‘militant’ type I mentioned earlier. He did however direct me to their management office (which I wasn’t aware was there at first) and two managers were most helpful. Didn’t get a job mind you....:s:D

Visiting a depot is a real opportunity to show how interested you are. It ‘should’ bode well at interview time, as not many candidates visit depots, not because they can’t be bothered, but because they’re not always accessible. Visiting a depot also answers some of the questions often asked at interview, such as “What research havebyou done in to the role of trainee driver” or, “Why do you want to be a train driver”.

jj95419

No, I'm currently a paralegal. :)
Good stuff, there’s already a bit of life experience you can draw on there. The other replies answer your question far better than I can, the points that are particularly useful are seeing a diagram, to make sure the hours would fit into your lifestyle, and definitely just getting a visit to the deopt in. That’s a great example to use in the interview. If I can ask, why the change from a legal field to driving?

Set_DRA

Ask them :

What they hate the most.
What are the detrimental effects of shift working.
What are the incident rates like.
Do they every wonder about killing a Passenger/Person.
What are the specific Driver terms and conditions.
What their favorite traction is.
Favorite route.
How is the internal communication.
Can you see a diagram.
What is the depot culture like.
What are the Managers like and how do they treat you.
What is the chain of care like.
What is the training like.
How long is the average career.
Staff turnover, depot turnover.

Probably more if you need.

Don’t ask about killing people. It’s not nice. And mist drivers I know would tell you to get lost.
Trust me......

Kraken1234

Don’t ask about killing people. It’s not nice. And mist drivers I know would tell you to get lost.
Trust me......

I did want to ask about how Scotrail takes care of staff members who undergo traumatic events. Perhaps therapy and time off?

Good stuff, there’s already a bit of life experience you can draw on there. The other replies answer your question far better than I can, the points that are particularly useful are seeing a diagram, to make sure the hours would fit into your lifestyle, and definitely just getting a visit to the deopt in. That’s a great example to use in the interview. If I can ask, why the change from a legal field to driving?

I just wanted to use my skills for a job with a higher level of responsibilities, and to serve people for the better.

sw1ller

Established Member
Hello.

- Is there much avenue for progression and development from train driver onwards?
- How do you see the rail industry, and your role, changing within the next decade or two?

If you’ve only got the day there, I’d stay away from this question, it may be a bit more long winded than you think.

Ask about the availability of shift swapping and diagrams. Swapping from earlies to lates and how they cope with fatigue. Is there scope to do permanent earlier or late shifts? It’s mentioned on this forum a lot about how hard the shift work can be but I don’t think a lot of people take the advice on here seriously.

I worked 15-16 hour days before I joined the railway but it was mainly the same time each day, 6 days a week. I’d also done shift work in other jobs so had an idea but even I wasn’t prepared fully for how bad it can get.

Good luck.

Driver2B

Hello.

I might be going to my local depot soon to learn more about the train driver job, what transferable skills I have from my current role, and just to get some insight into the daily duties of a train driver.

Are there any in-depth or even just general questions you'd recommend me asking?

Do you think there are other more important information to get?

I'm going to use a lot of information I get in my interview stage, if I'm fortunate enough to get to that stage!

I think that you've been given great advice on here, and I'm sorry that I don't have anything additional to add.

However, do you mind me asking how you arranged this? Did you initiate it or get invited? Did you arrange it through HR, PR, driving managers, or do you have a friend/family member who helped?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.