• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to claim and who from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
As posted in the thread on this weekends problems due to flooding, yesterday I was travelling from London to Shrewsbury for football. Tickets held were London Northwestern advance singles from Euston-Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton-Euston, and a standard any permitted off peak day return between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury. Tickets were purchased online through the Chiltern Railways website.

Got to Wolverhampton okay and found there were no trains to Shrewsbury due to the flooding. Spoke to a staff member who said they might be able to provide replacement buses, but with no timescale for those, nor when services might be running again, I teamed up with several other supporters and shared a taxi to Shrewsbury. This was obviously not sanctioned by any TOC and I'm not bothered about claiming any of it back.

After the match I checked realtime trains which indicated some trains were running back down to Birmingham, so I headed for Shrewsbury station and got a Transport For Wales service back to Wolverhampton and my booked train back to London.

I'm guessing that in theory all I should be claiming for is the outward portion of the Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury return on the basis of it being unused due to disruption, but could I actually claim anything else, such as starting and abandoning my outward journey?

So as per thread title, what am I entitled to claim and who should I claim it from? Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
In theory, the outward portion of the Off Peak Day Return was not used due to the disruption so you could ask for a partial refund on that. However, if the value of on Off Peak Day Single is taken into account when working out any refund you would hardly be entitled to anything. However, what time did you arrive in Shrewsbury compared to if the train had ran? I think your best bet here is to claim delay repay based on your Euston to Wolves and outward portion of the Wolves to Shrewsbury ticket.

How long were you delayed by? I think going down the delay repay route if possible would be easier. This would be to whichever company was meant to operate the service from Woles to Shrewsbury you intended on taking.....

londonbridge

Established Member
Delay repay isn't relevant or an option, my booked train from Euston arrived on time at 12.40. The first available train to Shrewsbury on a valid connection would have been the 13:07 West Midlands Trains which was due into Shrewsbury at 13:48. By getting the taxi we arrived at the football ground around 13:55.

gray1404

Established Member
In that case then your best bet would be to contact WMT Customer Relations attaching a copy of all your tickets, explain what happened and ask them if they are able to consider any compensation/goodwill genture in the circumstances as you had to make your own way to your final destination. This is one such occasion when I would personally state I would be happy to accept a Rail Travel Voucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.