• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do in Durham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
This Saturday (28/11), I've got a few hours in Durham :D

Is there anything interesting bus wise in the area? Or (2nd choice), any decent train trips worth making?

Any ideas most welcome as I've never been to that part of the world!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Buses...? Trains...?

Durham is a beautiful city with a magnificent cathedral set high above a bend of the River Wear. What on earth do you want to be doing wasting your time looking at buses?!

O L Leigh

Adam_Harrison

Buses...? Trains...?

Durham is a beautiful city with a magnificent cathedral set high above a bend of the River Wear. What on earth do you want to be doing wasting your time looking at buses?!

O L Leigh

i completely agree, you can go see the cathedral, walk along the river and around the city centre. but if you really want buses there is a busy bus station very close to the train station.

TrainBrain185

This Saturday (28/11), I've got a few hours in Durham :D

Is there anything interesting bus wise in the area? Or (2nd choice), any decent train trips worth making?

Any ideas most welcome as I've never been to that part of the world!
Dennis, you can see the Cathedral as you arrive by train. If you are interested in buildings like that.....fine if not, I find Durham bland. Very average shops, very average buses to see if you are into that kind of thing. The station only has the usual ECML, XC, TPE and freight stuff during the day to see too. Why not stay on the train for an extra 15 ins or so, go to Newcastle. Great shops, trendy daytime pubs, much better bus variety to see and why not try the Tyne and Wear Metro and check out the sights on that? Back to the buses, you can use those Australian Designline Gas Turbine Hybrid-Electric buses on the Quayside services.

Dennis

Established Member
Thanks for the responses - sounds like a look at the cathedral then off to Newcastle. Better iron a t-shirt, it's meant to be colder on Saturday!

Established Member
If you haven't tried the Metro do so now as they'll be gone in a few years when the system is upgraded. I'd go to Tynemouth via Wallsend and get fish and chips at Marshalls, then get the Metro back going via South Gosforth, as you'd see most of the system doing this.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
If you haven't tried the Metro do so now as they'll be gone in a few years when the system is upgraded. I'd go to Tynemouth via Wallsend and get fish and chips at Marshalls, then get the Metro back going via South Gosforth, as you'd see most of the system doing this.

As someone who has to use these yellow cess pools I can only hope so:lol: Durham is a quite splendid city with plenty to do. Is my 3rd favourite city in the UK:D

Zamracene749

Just go the the pub or something. Surely some winner ales to be had?[/QUOT

Bit too late for Dennis (hope you had a good time) but best ales are at the Victoria in Hallgarth street, the Woodman on the Claypath, and the Dun Cow opposite the prison. Worth a visit nears the station is the Colpitts- proper bar with nice cheap Sammy Smiths.

Sadly, probably best to avoid the 'spoons opposite the bus station- real ale is often dire- no idea how they got into the good beer guide!

For a visitor, bus interest is mainly provided by arriva- fairly unusual elderly single deck ELC scanias on the X1/2, occasional olympians and DD scanias on the 24 and Daf 220/prestiges on 63/64. Also worth keeping an eye on the 7/7a Darlington route- provides a real pot pourri of ancient and new arriva and ex stagecoach Darlington stuff!

HTH

Dennis

Established Member
Well, in the end, a wander around along the riverside, cathedral grounds and shopping centre - all very pleasant in the sunshine. Then off to 'spoons for refreshments before stocking up with essential supplies for the journey home.

No shots of trains taken on Saturday but I did get the camera out to take a standard shot of the cathedral and river.

Darandio

Established Member
Of course Dennis, a trip to Durham just wouldn't be the same without the customary shot.

Dennis

Established Member
Sadly, probably best to avoid the 'spoons opposite the bus station- real ale is often dire- no idea how they got into the good beer guide!

Yes - the beer there was not so good. First sampled a local brew (can't remember the name :oops:, perhaps I need a notebook) which was mediocre so switched to Old Speckled Hen - that was OK but way toooo cold.

Was also disappointed to find the Spar shop just down the road had no local ales in stock - most I've been to generally have one or two. So the journey home also ended up being fuelled by Hen until supplies ran out on the train.

Zamracene749

Sadly not many ales local to Durham- Durham brewery (at Bowburn, about 5 miles south) is the best known- his beers are good but are rather strongly bitter hopped- think you can get bottles in the indoor market.......too late I know!

There used to be a very small scale brewer (cathedral/Hill Island?) in the city but not sure if he is still on the go.

Nothing wrong with hen mind :)

ps Spoony- gotta agree with the Swan - a great place to drink- beer is variable but nowhere in the city is as good for sitting in the sun and watching the river (or the girls) go by.....

Established Member
Consett Steel Town and White Hot are pretty good, although can't beat a bit of Jarrow Rivet Catcher or Wylam Gold.

O L Leigh

Established Member
It's just a shame that the Swan & Three Cygnets hasn't been done up for at least 20 years. I drank there from time to time as student in the early-mid 1990's and when I went past there on holiday last summer (2008) it hadn't changed one iota.

Still, it was a good watering hole then and notable for being the only Samuel Smiths pub for many a mile.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.