• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do with an old Pacer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Now that there is serious talk about replacing Pacers with proper trains, is it time to consider what other uses they could be put to? Here are a few suggestions. Any other ideas?

Cut down the bodywork leaving cabs and:
1) Add to Network Rail fleet of railhead treatment trains
2) Modify to carry skips so that all the scrap and other detritus which blights the network can be cleared easily
3) As above with cranes to quickly remove thousands of tons of abandoned rail littering the network
4) Add paint spray modules to eliminate graffiti - keep on top of it and it will go away

Light freight uses

1) Modify to carry brake gear from Knorr Bremse in Melksham Wiltshire to Newton Aycliffe Hitachi factory (it will go by road otherwise)
2) ??

Hated they may be, but surely a self propelled unit has to have some use?

Let Northern operate for another 30 years;)

Seriously, remove the bodywork, insert shelves, straw and chickens in it, job's a goodun...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Let Northern operate for another 30 years;)

Seriously, remove the bodywork, insert shelves, straw and chickens in it, job's a goodun...

Poor chickens! They'll be terrified riding on a Pacer. I think they could run for another 30years if they have two major refits.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Send them down to London and let them pesky southerners endure the pain we've had to.

Oh, could you imagine it? There would be rioting on the streets. :lol::lol:

Wolfie

Established Member
Send them down to London and let them pesky southerners endure the pain we've had to.

I won't bite... will merely observe relative fares and subsidies...

This.

Somehow the bright sparks that decide such things, whenever there is a mass replacement project, seem to want to replace more with less. At least, that's what appeared to happen last time. If this pattern is followed when pacers are replaced, then every 100 pacer spaces will be replaced by 80 new train spaces and then someone will wonder why the overcrowding is worse.

Put it this way - when we still had a fleet of 1960's DMUs a two-car train was a pretty rare sight. Indeed, head for Scarborough in the summer peak and practically every train was 8 cars - even on the Wolds coast. Now, two is the norm on the coast; three if you're lucky and three on the York route.

So, we keep them and use them for peak services and/or to alleviate overcrowding. Unless/until there is in fact (as opposed to in theory) enough rolling stock to carry everybody who wants to travel in sufficient comfort.

This is the right answer.

6Gman

Established Member
Unfortunately, Porterbrook only do "nice" Pacers...What most up here think of when the word "Pacers" are mentioned are the "Newton Heath's Finest" variety that are the sole preserve of Angel Trains...<(

Perhaps a new booklet could be produced with suitable illustrations about the Pacer fleet along the lines of the one called "50 ways to kill a slug"....:D

Fifty Shades of Pain ?

CosherB

Established Member
replace fixed axles with bogies and put in standard sliding doors?, should that not remove a lot of the pacers problems making them a lot more useful
This is a joke, yes? Or is it April 1st?

To coin a well known phrase: "You cannot be serious!"

Parallel

Established Member
I'm in agreement with a few others - I think they should be kept solely for providing peak capacity/weekend services. There are quite a few places in the UK at the moment where people get left on the platforms at peak times simply due to the trains not having enough capacity (either capacity booked or just short formed on the day). I'd rather have a journey on a pacer than hanging around in the cold waiting for the next service. As another poster said, the FGW 143s are actually quite nice to ride on (by pacer standards) and this shows that they can be decent when they get a half decent refurbishment and are looked after. ATW's ones are less good but still alright.

I also think using them for places that really don't get very many trains at all like Okehampton is a good idea, and also pacers (or stock generally) being available would hopefully help supporting lines that justify passenger services again, like Portishead (would help to reduce traffic congestion on the roads).

Yes, they will eventually need to be retired, but in my opinion, the current shortage of rolling stock is more than an issue than the pacers themselves. When new suitable stock starts working on the rails, that's the time to start withdrawing (the worst examples first).

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
I'm in agreement with a few others - I think they should be kept solely for providing peak capacity/weekend services. There are quite a few places in the UK at the moment where people get left on the platforms at peak times simply due to the trains not having enough capacity (either capacity booked or just short formed on the day). I'd rather have a journey on a pacer than hanging around in the cold waiting for the next service. As another poster said, the FGW 143s are actually quite nice to ride on (by pacer standards) and this shows that they can be decent when they get a half decent refurbishment and are looked after. ATW's ones are less good but still alright.

I also think using them for places that really don't get very many trains at all like Okehampton is a good idea, and also pacers (or stock generally) being available would hopefully help supporting lines that justify passenger services again, like Portishead (would help to reduce traffic congestion on the roads).

Yes, they will eventually need to be retired, but in my opinion, the current shortage of rolling stock is more than an issue than the pacers themselves. When new suitable stock starts working on the rails, that's the time to start withdrawing (the worst examples first).

If I was a resident of Portishead I would feel short changed if my newly reopened railway service had trains 30 years older and no better than the road bus it is replacing. What if everybody had this attitude and didn't use the train? No more reopenings.

The Ham

Established Member
If I was a resident of Portishead I would feel short changed if my newly reopened railway service had trains 30 years older and no better than the road bus it is replacing. What if everybody had this attitude and didn't use the train? No more reopenings.

If the benefits of a reopening was so great that it justified new rolling stock then it would likely have been done before.

The big advantage of trains are their reliability and speed of journey, as buses are more likely to get delayed by traffic (either in congestion or through delays at junctions).

In time there will be complaints about the age and comfort of the "new" trains, but people will still use them.

21C101

Established Member

Not from people who have to go on 387s!

More seriously, I would imagine that there will be something a feeding frenzy for them from Preserved railways who are increasingly attracting "real" passengers and would find them very useful and economical to operate early and late services and could by two or three sets with the second and third sets used for spares.

Similar outfits abroad may also be interested.

That said, there is no reason why with good maintenance they could not be kept going for a century on a few really lightly used lines, as rolling stock of old was - and still is on the Isle of Wight!

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Not from people who have to go on 387s!

More seriously, I would imagine that there will be something a feeding frenzy for them from Preserved railways who are increasingly attracting "real" passengers and would find them very useful and economical to operate early and late services and could by two or three sets with the second and third sets used for spares.

Similar outfits abroad may also be interested.

That said, there is no reason why with good maintenance they could not be kept going for a century on a few really lightly used lines, as rolling stock of old was - and still is on the Isle of Wight!

The Swanage Railway use heritage DMUs atm (they're going to use a bubble-car for the Wareham trials), they could possibly use one eventually.

I'd like to see one have the inner axles of one replaced by a central bogie for a trial of articulation to see how safe that option would be and how much that'd improve the ride quality

bavvo

Actually, I think most of the original points have merit, assuming that the units themselves are still viable (not rusted away, spare parts available, maintenance costs not astronomical). Conversion to maintenance vehicles seems reasonable use of otherwise redundant units.

Personally I like the fast freight idea. Convert them to curtain sided vehicles, and do point to point deliveries of palletised goods.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I won't bite... will merely observe relative fares and subsidies...

Do you remember from railway history the three types of coaching stock that were provided by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway for their travelling passengers. This I suppose is another way of "merely observing relative fares".. Has not over 185 years of rail travel in Britain taught us anything?

Beatitude for the day

Blessed are those who have had to travel by Pacers, for they shall be seated in First Class seats at the right hand of the Father in Heaven.

Welly

To demonstrate the safety of the forthcoming new design of lead lined cardboard nuclear flasks, run a pacer into one at 60mph on live television.

backontrack

Established Member
Convert them to OHLE and they can operate from St Pancras to Ashford. Or, if we get the Olympics again soon, the Stratford shuttles.

More realistically, give them to the Big Tube. As long as somewhere in London gets them, really.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seriously, we need any seats we can get up north to eliminate overcrowding. Preferably not pacers, though, but it looks like we'll end up with them anyway.

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Convert the 142 units into 'centre cars' for the 143's and 144's in order to extend them. Surely enough it wouldn't cost much as all that would be required would be the cab ends sliced off and a gangway installed.

Keep twenty original 142's for use on preserved lines.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I have three routes to go. You can't Pacerise all of them! :lol:

Haha. I can just see one bouncing across the Romney Marsh.

I do actually manage to avoid Pacers in my daily commute.

Going to work (Wakefield-Bradford, via Leeds) it's a 322 then a 158. Returning (Shipley-Wakefield, via Leeds) it's a 333, then a 225.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I rode a Pacer. I can guarantee one thing though, when I saw it in the distance proceeding into the station, I probably muttered to myself, "Oh, for ****'s sake..... Great"!!! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.