What to expect

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by N!ck, 29 Jul 2018.

1. N!ck

N!ck Member

Good evening, tomorrow I start my new career as a trainee train driver with northern. First of all this message board has been a massive help to me and I'd like to thank everyone who's input has been helpful to me.

So my question is, what should I expect in my first few days/weeks on the training course, I have a rough idea but it would be good to hear from people who have been in my position.

Thanks again

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless Member

Firstly well done and good luck - there will be many folk on this forum envious of you. I think @Dynamonic may have started his course recently so maybe able to help you

4. Chuggington21

Chuggington21 Member

Expect yourself to bit sitting wondering how are you going to take it all in. Rules, traction, routes. I remember sitting in the school and as well as all the stuff mentioned they are talking about it in abbreviations DOLs, dummies, UBAs etc etc sounds like a silly thing to say but work hard and study hard. The more you learn and understand it now the better you will be at retaining it for years down the line. You will get there it will eventually sink. But again you put the effort in you will get the effort back from trainers DTMs and DIs etc (See abbreviations again). If in doubt ask

5. N!ck

N!ck Member

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely willing to put the effort in, I'm excited to learn new things