• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train did I see??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys!

Just a quick question. During my morning commute today I happened to see the following train:

What looked like a loco, pulling a set of yellow network rail carriages.

I know that the Measurement Train is all yellow, but in this instance the unit which was pulling the carriages was not yellow. The train was spotted near Selhurst depot, just before Norwood Junction. My own train was heading to London Bridge, but the train which I saw looked to be coming from Clapham Junction and was heading in the direction of East Croydon.

It would be great to know what I saw, if anyone happens to know?

:p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MNK.Trains

I saw another too.

Looked as a loco was pulling ECS or Coaching stock in use eg, Charter

This was seen in chesterfield around 13:40

Any help thanks

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As Hyrdo will no doubt explain, there's a whole fleet of Network Rail test carriages, and they're not always hauled by Network Rail Yellow locos- on the southern network, they tend to be hauled by 73s, and I think there's only one of those in yellow. They'll hire in other locos as needed.

pendolino

Might have been the same one that was at Vic this afternoon - top'n'tail EDs and 3 or 4 yellow NR coaches . Broadlands was at the London end, I don't know what was at the country end.

As Hyrdo will no doubt explain, there's a whole fleet of Network Rail test carriages, and they're not always hauled by Network Rail Yellow locos- on the southern network, they tend to be hauled by 73s, and I think there's only one of those in yellow. They'll hire in other locos as needed.

Wow that was quick! Thank you for answering the question.

What is the purpose of the test carriages then? Is it driver training etc??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Might have been the same one that was at Vic this afternoon - top'n'tail EDs and 3 or 4 yellow NR coaches . Broadlands was at the London end, I don't know what was at the country end.

That would make sense. It was 7.45 when I seen it near Selhurst depot this morning.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's also carriages for doing radio coverage (CSR/NRN/GSM-R) monitoring, for checking loading gauge etc.

pendolino

I assume that these trains operate all over the entire network?

Yes, there's sometimes one stabled in Selhurst yard, most commonly a 31, usually up by the fuel point. Don't tend to see the NR trains with the EDs though for some reason (although there are occasionally EDs parked up, sometimes on the road between the AC sidings and the Level 5 shop, but I'm not sure they're visible from anywhere public - you might get a glimpse from a train between Selhurst and East Croydon).

Hydro

Established Member
Selhurst was used to stable both the resident UTU and the HSTRC, but the HSTRC is now resident at Bramdean sidings, down at Grove Park. HSTRC sometimes gets moved there for fuelling or CET emptying but doesn't stable there any more.

HSTRC does the same job as the NMT, but with a more handsome and skilled crew. Normally runs with any combo of 73138/107/201.

pendolino

Selhurst was used to stable both the resident UTU and the HSTRC, but the HSTRC is now resident at Bramdean sidings, down at Grove Park. HSTRC sometimes gets moved there for fuelling or CET emptying but doesn't stable there any more.

That'll explain why we don't see it so much these days. (UTU? HSTRC?)

HSTRC does the same job as the NMT, but with a more handsome and skilled crew.

I did a proper laugh out loud at that.

Hydro

Established Member
UTU - Ultrasonic Test Unit - 4 of these, usually 31/Generator Van/Test Coach/DBSO.

HSTRC - High Speed Track Recording Coach (now just the Track Recording Coach really, since the NMT was born), Mk.2f vehicle fitted with track geometry and radio survey kit. It was the original BR Research recording vehicle that came into service in the mid-late 70's to measure track at line speed. Now based predominantly in the Southern region.

pendolino

Ah right, thanks handsome.

(edit: so were you at Vic this afternoon? I should have banged on the window and shouted 'Oi! Hydro! HYDRO!')

Last edited:

ole man

Could these trains be opertated by DB class 66, there is only 3 in the DB fleet with trip cocks enabling them to travel over 3rd rail, when the 73's are not available.
There is a picture in UK railways showing a class 66 hauling the NWR test train over the 3rd rail

Hydro

Established Member
Yes, a regular turn when testing the CTRL chords uses class 66's. A GSMR test train ran with 66's not too long ago, and I'm working an NMT cover shift with 67's tomorrow. Don't know what you mean about trip cocks, they're not needed on 3rd rail lines. If the 73's aren't available (as happened recently), then 31's or 37's are sourced generally.

ole man

Will show you the picture later, do you ever get into Paddington? ive seen the HST NMR there a couple of times going into Platform 1

Hydro

Established Member
Yes, I've done a lot of work in and out of Paddington. The NMT does a few turns to Swansea etc out of there regularly. I generally end up doing the night shifts in and out of Padd with MENTOR/track inspection coach doing the OLE/relief/goods line track recording.

ole man

Would be good if i could have a look inside MENTOR if possible, would that be possible i know by recent sightings it turns round pretty quickly.

Right the DB 66 was seen at Neasden running a Radio Survey Train from Didcot it says there have be fitted with tripcocks to run over the Metropolitian line between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Amersham, there are 66017,66019 and 66001 and these are required also ovet the line to do RHHT duties

Last edited:

Hydro

Established Member
Right the DB 66 was seen at Neasden running a Radio Survey Train from Didcot it says there have be fitted with tripcocks to run over the Metropolitian line between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Amersham, there are 66017,66019 and 66001 and these are required also ovet the line to do RHHT duties

That would have been why, specifically for the tripcocks so the areas where there are dual running can be tested for GSMR coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.