• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train encapulates your childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Class 465/466 Networkers. Growing up in South East London in the 1990s it was kinda difficult for Networkers to not be a big part of my life. Always loved the sound the units made as they pulled away from a Station or Signal, especially on the MetroCammell/GEC units. Would travel on them into London at the weekend; usually to Charing Cross to head into the West End with my Mum, occasionally we’d go to Victoria if we were visiting one of the Museums in Kensington. Even though their now almost 30 years old, they still look and feel like almost new trains.

Ah yes-Networkers as a child. I remember them long into privatisation proudly sporting the "Network SouthEast" and "Kent Link Networker" labels-they seemed so exciting.

I remember my first trip on one after leaving Herne Hill and hearing those traction motors and asking my Mum if that noise was a UFO :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As a child of the 80s, I used to love standing on the platform at Falkirk High. The E&G services at that time were 47/7 push pull sets with the blue stripe ScotRail livery and they always looked incredibly impressive when approaching the station loco first. The loco always seemed to come to a stop after the platform had ended which to my child mind gave it an element of mystery as you could never really get up close to it. When the loco was in push mode (usually when the set was heading west towards Glasgow) the loco would make one hell of a noise as it propelled the train out the station on full power. The fact there was never anyone in the back cab gave the whole thing an element of danger (what if something happened to the loco?).

Mal75756

For me it had to be the Deltic class 55's. It was my cousins favourite and who got me into the hobby nearly 50 years ago. The thrill he got of a Deltic pulling into a station was contagious and it still feels special when I see one.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Guessing these would have continued on towards Manchester Oxford Road via Urmston, so possibly me too.

Would they have been class 115 or some other similar first generation DMU?

There were other DMUs obviously, but these four car ones are the ones I remember as they didn't stop at Padgate which added to the excitement. They went from Liverpool to Manchester (I always assumed Piccadilly). Only stops on the regular pattern were Widnes and Warrington, I think. Birchwood didn't exist (the place or the station).

xotGD

Established Member
I have an early memory where we were sat in a dmu in the older Platform 11 at Newcastle on the way to visit my aunty. I looked across to see another train in Platform 8, and it had the name "Argyll & Sutherland Highlander" on the side.

chorleyjeff

Bit of a whimsical thread, but do you have a train that takes you back to being 8 or 9 years old on the station platform again? For me, its an NSE livered class 455/1-ambling miserably through South London.
L&Y saddle tank shunting back and forth on the bridge over Avenham and Miller Parks at Preston.

Railperf

Established Member
Living in East London - 1962 Tube stock - Class 315 and 317 EMU's, Various types of DMU on the Goblin - Class 117's etc, plus plenty of freight being hauled by 37's 47's the odd class 33 too. As a teenager - the introduction of Class 86's on London to Norwich and 47's / 86's hauling coaching stock London to Cambridge. My first big train trip - HST Kings Cross to Peterboro. And the introduction of Network South East. The annual Network days were good fun and allowed us to experience different types of trains in London and Southeast area.

... and posters are being true to the title of the thread: "What train encap(s)ulates your childhood". I remember on the way to/from swimming standing at the end of the 'iron bridge' that crosses the middle of the Ilford car sheds watching Britannias on Norwich trains, B17s (we knew them as Sandringhams and Footballs) on (ISTR) Clactons, and plenty of WD 2-8-0s on goods duties. But interesting as it was, I didn't do that every week/month so it didn't encapsulate my childhood.
Chugging over from Upminster on first generation Diesel MU to stand at Romford up platform and watch the up Norwich & Clactons hammer down Brentwood bank and rock and roll over the points to the Upmister branch, at 10 years old quite exciting.

Revaulx

There were other DMUs obviously, but these four car ones are the ones I remember as they didn't stop at Padgate which added to the excitement. They went from Liverpool to Manchester (I always assumed Piccadilly). Only stops on the regular pattern were Widnes and Warrington, I think. Birchwood didn't exist (the place or the station).
The 115s (4-car Derby’s) were built for the Marylebone suburban lines, but an additional six (?) were added to the order specifically for the CLC Manchester Central (later Piccadilly 13/14) to Liverpool Central (later Lime Street) expresses.

They were among the better DMUs running out of Manchester, most of which were awful. They felt well built, rattled hardly at all, and their acceleration from station stops was impressive and loud. They did have a very suburban feel though, with VEP-style doors to every seating bay, and seemed an odd choice for a express service. Particularly as the locals that terminated at Warrington Central from each end had a more conventional low-density layout.

Green 1500VDC EMUs between Altrincham and Manchester London Road, as was, in the 50s and 60s, Comfortable and reliable, though I still remember the time I trapped a thumb in a compartment door.
Same, though by the time I was of an age to remember stuff they’d been cut back to Oxford Road. By the time I started travelling in them daily to school, most (but not all) were in blue. Their ride and acceleration was massively better than their replacements the AM4s.

I managed to avoid any thumb injuries, but my mother loved telling everyone how she has slammed a door shut on a pre-electrification Liverpool Street to Chelmsford stopper, not realising that a small child had inserted its hand into the gap. It was, in her voluble opinion, a stupid child...

Last edited:

Watford West

When I first got the bug for railways, my first real evening of spotting was in the Summer of 75 at Radlett. My abiding memory was of Peaks thundering through the station both with passenger and coal trains. How could I not fail to become 'hooked' after that!
Additionally, my very first memory of railways, was standing on the footbridge at the end of Rickmansworth station (where they used to change trains from electric to steam I think?) and having a steam train slowly puff underneath with the accompanying smoke either side. I must have been only about 5 or 6?

Welshman

Established Member
For me its the Derby Lightweight dmus introduced on the Bradford Exchange-Leeds Central & Harrogate routes.
The thrill of being able to see out of the front with those big expanses of glass [no thought of crashworthiness then!]and watch the driver.

Spamcan81

2-BIL and 2-HAL units in green on family holiday trips to Sussex. Varnished wood interiors, brass door fittings, leather straps for the drop down windows, side corridors and the unmistakeable sound of the compressors.

Hastings line DEMUs for me. They always meant a trip to the seaside with the added bonus of them kicking up a tremendous din through the tunnels along the route.

At the end of our garden was the line from West Cheshire Junction to Mouldsworth so Class 25, Class 40 and Class 47 were the mainstay of my early childhood hauling freight just yards from the garden fence.

Recessio

A knackered 319 slowly crawling on Thameslink between St Pancras and East Croydon late on a winter sunday. Memories of it being very slow, assuming speed restrictions for engineering work or driver training.

billh

Getting on a Sheffield - Manchester London Road at Guide Bridge, haulage was an EM2 ( later class77) , number 27000, before it was named Electra. Cabbed it at London Road!
Passing in the other direction on the slow lines near Audenshaw Junction was a GCR 8k(LNER O4) 2-8-0 with a long rake of decrepit SWB wagons.
More exGC locos to be seen around Gorton and Ardwick

Strathclyder

Established Member
A 3-way tie between a Class 318 in SPT Carmine/Cream with the original front end, the SPT 'Flash' logo and the black/gold bands, a unrefurbished Class 334 and a Class 320, also in SPT Carmine/Cream with the black/gold bands, the SPT 'Flash' & the ScotRail 'Swoosh' logos for me. The first two screaming down the Ayrshire Coast Line on a day trip to Ayr or Largs and the 3rd shuttling along the North Clyde Line to/from Balloch & Helensburgh.

Doesn't reach quite as far back as some other examples on this thread, but hey-ho lol

BayPaul

Established Member
The slam-door trains on the West Coastway. I think most of them must have been 4-Cigs, with just 3 doors on each side of the carriage, where you had to lean out of the drop light to open them. Occasionally you would get one with doors to every row, and overhead luggage racks as well (4VEP?), which always felt very odd with the door catch inside the car. The wob-wob-wob-wob-wob noise they used to make at stations springs instantly to mind even now. I remember going up to London, and passing the very modern looking 455s and 442s and wondering why we didn't get exciting trains like that!

adc82140

Established Member
A NSE liveried 4 Vep utterly rammed to the rafters with the windows steamed up, rattling its way down the slow lines on a Basingstoke stopper.

CW2

Established Member
As a child, it was the class 117 DMUs operating the Paddington - Oxford stoppers. The thrill of buying a child day return to Reading to go trainspotting there, climbing aboard the rattly DMU with the doors vibrating in sympathy as the engine note climbed, the clonking changing of the gears,the coarse cloth of the seats prickling the backs of your legs, the stench of the smoking compartment ...

Later it came to be the whistling of a class 40, but that's another story altogether.

PeterC

Established Member
Chugging over from Upminster on first generation Diesel MU to stand at Romford up platform and watch the up Norwich & Clactons hammer down Brentwood bank and rock and roll over the points to the Upmister branch, at 10 years old quite exciting.
That branch was always exciting for me as it was the only opportunity I had to use a DMU and look through the windows at the track ahead. However the defining unit has to be the 306 as that both took me to school and later to my first job in London.

TXMISTA

SWT 4CIGs and pre-refurb LU D78 stock for me. Still have vivid memories as a child of the D stock’s wooden floors and the 4CIGs’ blue seating bays. Not long after the slam door stock was phased out and the D stock got a smart refurbishment. I remember at a similar time the Class 455s also received a considerable overhaul

LUYMun

Living in Watford, I remember getting on the London Overground (ex-Silverlink) Class 313s on weekend outgoings with my dad. I thought that they were better than the 378s nowadays due to their transverse seating layout. I also remember the LM (ex-Silverlink) 321s slowly being replaced by 350s and eventually some 319s. London Underground also played a role in my childhood, having rode the A, C, D and 67TS in their twilight years - most often the A60/62 Stocks. To quote Peter Purves to how I would put it on them "everything that the train should do it does it exceptionally well."

The slam-door trains on the West Coastway. I think most of them must have been 4-Cigs, with just 3 doors on each side of the carriage, where you had to lean out of the drop light to open them. Occasionally you would get one with doors to every row, and overhead luggage racks as well (4VEP?), which always felt very odd with the door catch inside the car. The wob-wob-wob-wob-wob noise they used to make at stations springs instantly to mind even now. I remember going up to London, and passing the very modern looking 455s and 442s and wondering why we didn't get exciting trains like that!
Same for me, in toothpaste livery. One of my earliest train-related memories is being allowed to sit in the guard's compartment and look through the periscope.

Going up to London via Havant in the early SWT years was fun. I can't remember what class units they were, but they had a DTCsoL with a standard class compartment at the front. (ETA: now that I think about it, it might have been a D?CKL, but I still don't know what class that was.)

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
2/4EPBs on the lines from Dartford to London as that's all there was! Except for the once a day service(?) to the coast, where you would get something more "exotic"! I rather liked the refurbished 4CEPs with their HST style seats

Headcode 62 was my off peak train of choice, the semi-fast service to Charing Cross via Woolwich Arsenal and Lewisham

Paul Jones 88

Class 305s for me, Liverpool Street to Hertford East, lovely bouncy and comfy, some times back then Class 105s would do the route on Sundays because the Knitting was being worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.