• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
That's a Virgin Trains Pendolino, but 2 photos have been taken and stitched together; in the time between photos the train has moved making it look like a 2 carriage train, when in reality it would be 9 carriages.

Hope this helps :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's a Pendolino shown as shortformed because Google maps has spliced the image in order to make the join between two camera images at very slightly different time frames.

This forum has been through this query before, not that long ago, although I'm not sure where to find the previous thread.

EDIT: Yup, Mintona explained it before me :)

DownSouth

Established Member
EDIT: also beaten to it.

Looks like two Pendolino (Class 390) driving cars. They have been photographed on different images which are then stitched together to make continuous imagery. You can tell because there is a distortion of one of the cantilevered gantries and a shadow that doesn't fit it, a result of making flat photos of a spherical planet.

I've seen it elsewhere as well, a passenger train in South Australia that has been fused together perfectly with a rake of wheat hoppers.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The opposite effect could be seen on an earlier update, with a 14 car SWT 444 being visible somewhere near Farnborough.

Tramfan

Quite an amazing coincidence splicing the two photos together in just the way to make it look like a 2 car Pendolino.

I also remember reading the previous thread about it but don't think I ever saw the image.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I can not find it straight away, but two pendo driving cars were back to back like this at Crewe station for training, last year I think.
They were shown on the North Wales Rail website, however they were stationary in the station.

Bob

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bob, that would have been the spare Voyager power cars. They can't move aroundunder their own power due to not having parts of the braking system.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bob, that would have been the spare Voyager power cars. They can't move aroundunder their own power due to not having parts of the braking system.

I seem to recall it being mentioned that for a depot open day they'd jury rigged a system up that allowed it to be driven and then used it at the open day to give people a ride around the site. But it should be noted that it certainly couldn't be used in revenue service with this solution.

D1009

Established Member

That's a pity, otherwise Sir Richard Branson might have adopted it as his personal train, a bit like EWS did with their company train.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It looks like a 2 car pendolino. I didn't even know these existed. What line is it on?

As already posted above:

That's a Virgin Trains Pendolino, but 2 photos have been taken and stitched together; in the time between photos the train has moved making it look like a 2 carriage train, when in reality it would be 9 carriages.

The location is on the West Coast Main Line, on the outskirts of Glasgow.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
shhhhhhhh it is a top secret virgin led pacer replacement unit. This should not have been seen in day light and not while there was a satellite over head. This is incredibly careless to allow pictures of that to have leaked out.

it is a VERY sensitive project

Status
Not open for further replies.