What train type is Cross Country's 0946 from Southampton booked for?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Ianmel1969, 16 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianmel1969

Ianmel1969 Member

Could anyone please tell me what type of train the 0946 Southampton Central to Newcastle will be on a weekday. If it's a Voyager train, is there a seating plan anywhere online I can view.

I'll be looking to book well in advance and might be tempted with 1st class. What will the 1st class service be like on this train?

Thanks.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Can only be a Voyager as HSTs are only used on selected services on the Ply-Edb route mate.

4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

It can only be either a 220 or 221, that's all XC operate on the SE part of their routes. There's no guarantee which will turn up on any given service, even if there is a plan somewhere it never seems to be adhered to.

I caught it about 10 days ago, there were three people in First from Winchester as far as Reading, and free coffee offered. I don't think the full first class catering offer starts until Reading.

5. Robbies

Robbies Established Member

When I have travelled south from Reading to Bournemouth it has either been a class 220 or 221141 which is a 4 car class 221. The five car 221's seem to do the services starting from Reading or Bristol going northwards from what I have seen when they have been operating, but others may have something different at other times as I have been travelled down to Bournemouth at weekends.

6. swt_passenger

There are just as many 221s start from Bournemouth as 220s. Same with the 2 hourly Southampton extensions, it is all pretty random, there is no standardised use.

7. Blaahh

Blaahh Member

I got a bacon sandwich in first last year. First class is next to the toilets so you get the lovely Voyager odour!

8. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

From memory, this particular service is usually a 220. It was 220020 on Friday.

9. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Its a Voyager because XC HSTs have Long Swing Links which are banned on this route.

Most Southampton-Newcastle trains are 220s

10. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Just to expand on that for the OP, there's two types of swing link on Mk3 bogies (a picture showing the two was posted in another thread), long-links will foul the 3rd rail whilst short-links won't

11. dk1

dk1 Established Member

& definitely won't be a 170 ;)

12. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

XC food

Attached Files:

13. Jonfun

Jonfun Established Member

Booked a four car Voyager, and assuming you're travelling on a weekday, it picks up a First Class Host at Reading. I think you can download the menu off the website?

14. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

Was that complimentary? Also, can you get it from the trolly?

Last edited: 18 Aug 2015
  15. Ash Bridge

Not complementary unfortunately, but it is also available in standard from the trolley, £3.50 from memory, very tasty though!

16. fishquinn

Thanks. What is the benefit of XC 1st except a seat?

17. Ash Bridge

I've only ever travelled first at weekends and only on Manchester-Southwest services, but always found the staff are very generous with the complementary drinks, biscuits/cakes crisps etc. I think on weekdays you are offered something a little more substantial plus they now offer (to purchase) full hot meals on some routes for around £8/9, I think there are now full details about these on the XC website.

18. swt_passenger

0946 off Southampton to Newcastle today was a 4 car, 1146 to Newcastle was a 5 car, and 1346 (to Edinburgh) a 4 car.
    On the other hand, 1317 off Southampton (ex Bournemouth) to Man Picc was a 4 car.

19. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

220015 today

20. Jonfun

1317 is the 1245 off Bournemouth which is the 0727 off Picc, that's booked a 4 car. Can't speak for the other two without checking.

21. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

There is Free WiFi on board in 1st class and your more likely to get a seat.

22. bb21

bb21 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

You do get cold sandwiches if the host is about during day time. Bacon butties during the morning runs iirc. There are some hot selections on the First Class menu although hot paninis from the catering trolley cost extra.

23. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

220006 today

24. fishquinn

Thanks guys.

25. Jonfun

Breakfast is either a breakfast wrap, or a scrambled egg ciabatta, depending on the week. They're the only hot options on the First Class menu but it's not untypical for stock to remain even in the afternoon if you were after something hot. Burgers/Panini/Bacon Baguettes are generally available to buy.

26. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

You may have your own reasons for travelling via this route, but personally I'd go via London instead.

Even the outer suburban EMU you'll get to Waterloo is, in my opinion, much more comfortable than a Voyager (and certainly quieter). The Mk. 3's or 4's on the East Coast Main Line feel much more like a proper Inter City train.

And if you're tempted to go First, you're get a vastly superior free food offer if going via Kings Cross; in a completely different league, in fact.

And given that XC are not exactly known for bargain basement fares, you might even find that going via London is cheaper too!

27. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

There's nothing in the OP to say for sure he is doing the full length though. It might be just a journey to Birmingham for all we know.
    Some people just don't want the hassle of going through London. Especially with luggage or if unfamiliar with the choob

28. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

Of course we couldn't have a thread about voyagers with someone mentioning how 'awful' they are!

29. Bungle

Bungle Member

Agree re. not having to drag luggage / family across London on the Underground.

Mrs Bungle and I travelled on this route from Southampton not long ago. It was worth every penny of the extra fare to NOT go via London and be able to sit in the same seat all the way from the south coast to Yorkshire.

A word of caution, however: Our 0946 departure, on a Saturday, was rammed full of cruise passengers (of which we were two); the Voyagers are barely capable of taking the massive amounts of luggage these people bring, and the train was already very busy leaving Southampton. Anyone travelling around this time and not in First would be well advised to try and manouevre their way to be one of the first to board, and try to get the coach (D?) with the extra luggage storage; it was pretty chaotic elsewhere, especially with the number of people who evidently travel by train once in a blue moon.

We heard the TM say to another passenger that it is a common problem and that the cruise companies themselves tell the TOCs when to expect high passenger numbers, but little is ever done.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2015
  30. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Given that Voyagers are fixed-formation rakes and their HSTs can't operate to Southampton, what suggestions do you have for XC? (That's a genuine question, by the way.)

31. Ash Bridge

Given that XC offer a discounted luggage collection/delivery service, perhaps passengers such as those going on a holiday cruise or indeed on their summer vacation, should be encouraged to use such a service, even the cruise company could arrange this as part of the package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.