• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train would you like to drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G136GREYHOUND

Yes, why no drivers ? As a driver my fantasy train would be the rubber wheeled one pulling tourists ( attractive single mummies and well behaved children only ) around some tarmac sea front in between 10 - 3, Tuesday to Thursday ( fine weather only ) on the same money I am now and still with ASLEF membership
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Even though I am a driver, I wanted to answer anyway.

An HST from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington, before they're gone.

With electrifukation the way is is, your grandchildren will probably still be in with a chance

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pnepaul

A class 390 Euston to Glasgow would be rather splendid.

Failing that any train from Glasgow Queen St to Mallaig.

aylesbury

I would like to drive a class 37 again but from Liverpool Street to Norwich as its the line I grew up spotting on.

DaveTM

I grew up taking the old "flying jaffa cake" Network SouthEast slam door trains to school and back, Sevenoaks to Tonbridge. For old times sake would love to do that again, but this time up front!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I would like to drive a pannier tank down the Lickey after banking a train up the incline. From what I've heard the panniers would descend the incline at a rare old pace with the fireman hanging on for dear life and coal dust flying everywhere! In complete contrast the driver who would often be close to retirement would be as cool as custard!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
A bus-seated 142 in one of its (ridiculously) longest routes, possibly S&C line , any suggestions of a longer route?

In theory 2N45 1616 Nunthorpe to Carlisle is the longest pacer run by milage. I talked to Northern's twitter people about it and they confirmed this to be the case when asked.

By journey time that honour would go to 2C76 1625 Lincoln Central to Hull - a total journey time of 3 hours, 24 minutes

ComUtoR

Established Member
By journey time that honour would go to 2C76 1625 Lincoln Central to Hull - a total journey time of 3 hours, 24 minutes

Is that fast ? semi-fast, or a stopper ?

Would it make a difference to your choice of route/traction ?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Kinda meaningless to me but it looks "reasonable"

I'm a metro driver so 3hrs in a train is a punishment. I note its still a fair number of stops.

I do wonder if its the train or the service people are replying about. I stated Maglev because I see it as the pinnacle of technology and the "ultimate train" available today.

Neil mentioned the view and others have mentioned a nostalgic element to their choice. I find myself pondering the opening post in that it's the Unit that is important but people have posted that the route is important. Does it go hand in hand ?

For me I want an ultra modern unit going balls deep. Sod the route, I want to smash it in to a station, blast up linespeed, then smash it in to the next station.

I assumed this would be a spotters delight and that their dream units could be "driven." To me, I find it odd that routes, stopping pattern, traction, nostalgia, view, etc are the driving force behind some posts.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
From what I have been told, its a way to get a unit to Hull to swap out the one from the previous day's work - that one doing the last run to SHF from Hull.

I am sure there is a Northern driver here who might explain it better

najaB

Veteran Member
I find myself pondering the opening post in that it's the Unit that is important but people have posted that the route is important. Does it go hand in hand ?
I think the two have to go together - imagine your wonderful maglev unit being used on a commuter route where it rarely gets above 50mph. Equally, would you want to drive a pacer on a TGV route where you would be sitting at full throttle for an hour or more between stops?

notadriver

Established Member
For me I want an ultra modern unit going balls deep. Sod the route, I want to smash it in to a station, blast up linespeed, then smash it in to the next station.

What traction would you want then ? Also as drivers we could aspire to work in a toc which has your desires.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sod the route, I want to smash it in to a station, blast up linespeed, then smash it in to the next station.

It might be fun to go and drive something on DB, where running at full linespeed on station approaches and "positive braking" even into bay platforms is still the norm.

I remember window-leaning on a DB RegionalExpress (electric-hauled refurbished Silberlinge) about 8 (?) years ago into the bay at Salzburg Hbf - it seemed certain we'd go into the buffers, but in actual fact the driver skilfully stopped the set in exactly the right position straight down from full linespeed, with constant, consistent braking that almost felt like someone had pulled the handle - far heavier than UK practice. Impressive stuff, even if not giving as much leeway for error as the UK approach.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
What traction would you want then ? Also as drivers we could aspire to work in a toc which has your desires.

Already stated Maglev :)

I've seen a few documentaries on it and I would love to get my hands on it. I know it is one of those trains where you don't "drive" it but I'd just love to sit there and enjoy the experience of what I consider to be the pinnacle of modern trains.

I'm multi-traction and I've been lucky (or unlucky) to have driven 6 different units.

@naja. As usual you make an interesting and very valid point. Would I want to drive the maglev on a metro diagram. Not sure. I think I would still have that same feeling and enjoy the unit in all its guises. The other way round ? probably not. Something chugging along, trying its best to make it up an incline, speed restricted on a long haul 3hr trip :(

notadriver

Established Member
Already stated Maglev :)

I've seen a few documentaries on it and I would love to get my hands on it. I know it is one of those trains where you don't "drive" it but I'd just love to sit there and enjoy the experience of what I consider to be the pinnacle of modern trains.

I'm multi-traction and I've been lucky (or unlucky) to have driven 6 different (

I did say UK scheduled train service though :)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Okies, then er..

Nothing jumps out at me. I already drive uk scheduled trains. If I may, I'd like to go for a 700 then. For the same reasons too. I like new and modern.

notadriver

Established Member
Okies, then er..

Nothing jumps out at me. I already drive uk scheduled trains. If I may, I'd like to go for a 700 then. For the same reasons too. I like new and modern.

I thought you might struggle and for that very reason I preferred to ask non railway staff. :D

PaulLothian

If able to choose a service in day-light, the West Highland line.

I imagine the lack of many points of reference in the dark, combined with some interesting gradients and other reasons for speed restrictions, would make it even more daunting for someone who has never driven a real train!

kevin5025

A 37 on either the West Highland, Far North or Kyle lines

That would be my ultimate driving ambition too having grown up with 37's and Mk1/2's, and the lines must be amongst the most scenic. I also think they would be quite fun to drive, without the busyness and intensity of some other lines.

Iskra

Established Member
From real services either:

- an Exeter-Penzance HST
- the Highland Chieftain

A fantasy one:

- a 68 and Mk3's from Edinburgh to Kyle

Chris M

I think my ideal realistic one would be a Paddington to Penzance (or maybe Newquay) via Bristol Temple Meads in a HST for similar reasons to whoever it was up thread who wanted a London-Cornwall route. Via Bristol as that's where I started my spotting.

For a fantasy, I'd want a diesel loco (maybe a Deltic or a Western) + Mk 3s running Angerstein Wharf-Slade Green-Blackheath-Lewisham-London Bridge-Blackfriars then up the ECML to Newcastle then the Tyne Valley line to Carlisle then to Glasgow and the West Highland to Mallaig. This for the contrasts of the surrounding scenery and environs - industrial, outer and inner suburban, central London and then mainline and very rural scenery. Even as a very expensive railtour paying handsome track access charges I don't imagine this itinerary would stand a chance of approval!

cin88

Gonna throw out an absolute blinder here. A clockwise navigation of the UK starting at Euston, going up the WCML and as far north as possible, going across and then down the ECML and as far south as possible before going back to london. Traction to be used is either 37s, Deltics or 50s, where route availability allows. Why not give yourself an incredibly difficult challenge? <D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As my username would suggest I'll never drive any kind of train Im afraid. If I were to ever have the chance of a go Id jumpt at it but not steam.

For the purposes of this thread though Id quite fancy a trip round the Fife Circle in a 68 with MK2s on as Im rather fond of 68s. Another 1 for the bucket list would be a Networker from Charing Cross to Gillingham via Dartford and a LU 1959 Stock if they still existed to pritty much anywhere. Finally a trip along the Calder Valley at the controlls of a 142 would be fun.

najaB

Veteran Member
As my username would suggest I'll never drive any kind of train Im afraid. If I were to ever have the chance of a go Id jumpt at it but not steam.
Given that trains run at full speed at night, in thick fog and blizzards, it might not be as much of an impediment as you think!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Cheers for the vote of confidence mate but highly unlikely unless ATO becomes so wide spread and a camera based obstical detection system made a rood noize in the cab if it spotted an abandened Morrisons Trolley, Garden Shed, or god forbid a suiside attempter or broken rail up ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.