• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train would you like to drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I don't know the specifics of Blindtravelers' case, but if he can't see the controls in front of him, then that is one key difference to the drivers on the mainline! It may be surmountable by him maintaining a death grip on the controls throughout the journey and being told 'Throttle full, brake off' etc

You demonstrate a very good understanding of this, thanks, its so refreshing. You are quite correct in how this would be overcome.

neilb62

Class 390 fast down the tilitest part of the WCML.

I do it most days and still love it, good choice!

Your avatar, 390002 on the Up line at Wrea Curve near Carlisle. The first ever main-line tilt run, with me Driving!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

For me it would be a D1000 class from Wolves Low-Level to Padd via the GWR route.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Trains aren't what they used to be. Fysical heart labour; so move a handle, it starts to run and on the other side is hopefully the break. One can more say on what line you want to run your train (or be a passenger). And i say: Sheffield - Manchester mand v.v..

Johncleesefan

Id love to drive in the highlands, looks gorgeous. Don't know what traction they use but it would have to be the oldest banger type available

Andyh82

Established Member
Maybe a London Underground train, a 1996 stock on the Jubilee Line. Would be quite an interesting experience. Would have to be a line that isn't entirely underground though.

I've always had a soft spot for the class 104s and I think the "Mexican Bean" livery set up to Oban would have been an interesting drive.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You demonstrate a very good understanding of this, thanks, its so refreshing. You are quite correct in how this would be overcome.

Not the best understanding :/ but I think I could elaborate a little.

You need 3 things :

One hand on the cpbc
One hand over the aws button
Feet on the DSD

Then your good to go.

I don't look down at my controller. You feel the notches and step up and step down accordingly. Even the AWS can be hit unsighted. You can, although with practice, flip it from power two straight into brake 2 without looking.

When you have a trainee they initially do pretty much nothing. It is fully under the command of the instructor. The trainee just caries out the actions. As they progress you back off slowly. I remember my first time. I might as well have closed the blinds.

Also there is no need for any action sometimes. On a mainline train going fast to the next stop it will most likely be running on green so you whack it round to full power and knock it off for linespeed. Then sit there with a cuppa.

I don't see much of an issue with a blind person taking the controls for a limited period. I would however; choose a unit and service with it in mind.

Rugd1022

Class 66. Longest Freightliner route. :)

You can do my Stud Farm Quarry to Willesden job tomorrow night if you like and I'll stay at home! I'll even throw in a copy of the ASLEF Journal so you can use it to mop up the rainwater as it seeps in through the window rubbers at the bottom of the screen...!

As for the OP... I'd dearly love to drive a Western or Warship on the mainline ;)

driver_m

Established Member
I'd love to drive a 142 and turn up at somewhere like Leighton Buzzard or Tring with it in the morning peak. Might make one or two people look up from their phones.

It'll never happen but I'd like to have had a go at the APT and see the differences with my current traction.

neilb62

I'd love to drive a 142 and turn up at somewhere like Leighton Buzzard or Tring with it in the morning peak. Might make one or two people look up from their phones.

It'll never happen but I'd like to have had a go at the APT and see the differences with my current traction.

Thank Christ 14X are banned on the Main Line South of Crewe... :D:D

TDGinge

I would love to drive a HST down from Bristol to Penzanze. I've not been on that line since I was a child and it brings back fond memories.

DasLunatic

Thank Christ 14X are banned on the Main Line South of Crewe... :D:D

Any particular reason?

Back on topic, a 20 on the Riviera Line just before its impending closure would be nice, maybe even the final service.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Mine is purely for nostalgic reasons. I'd love to drive a 303 from Airdrie to Helensburgh. Not a particularly scenic route, but those are the first trains I was on and I have fond memories. The distinctive sound of the trains is ingrained in my mind.

Sadly, none of the 303s are in a fit state to be going anywhere.

lazydragon

I was lucky enough as a kid to get in the cab of a 37 on the Cambrian Coast railway, I think I nipped in just after Machynlleth, stayed in until we got to Aberystwyth, and remember that blowing the horn for the crossings was the best thing ever!

Today, I think I'd like to take a loco driven train from Leeds to Carlisle. Beautiful scenery, some beefy diesel (maybe a Deltic?) at the head and a nice clear, sunny Yorkshire day (maybe 2017 might get a clear day or two!).

Harbon 1

I'd like to drive a 378/2 (or any electrostar), purely because I'm building the cabs at the minute.

Other than that, 60 on the Kingsbury tanks I think.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've always fancied driving an FGW 57/3 though...maybe Totnes to Penzance or something...

:lol: sorry couldn't help it!!

Seriously though, either a Deltic from KX - Edinburgh or a 37/4, heck, I'd even love to do Bedford - Brighton in a 319 :)

I've got it - a 142 from man pic to Pembroke dock- I'm sure I've seen a 153 do it before so not much difference lol

168lover

Fantasy: 68008 and Class 17 top and tail drs mark 2s from london to glasgow via wcml. 68 leading on way up and 17 leading on way down.

Reality: Fast 68 push pull set leamington spa to marylebone

Status
Not open for further replies.