• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What travel is currently allowed by the legislation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I know that, you know that but do BTP and station staff?

What would you say if someone at a station ticket barrier asked you the purpose of your journey, as saying "it's none of your business, I'm allowed to make any journey I like" might be perceived as a bit inflammatory?
If it was said in a polite, none aggressive manner then I don't see a problem. You have done nothing wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Enthusiast

What would you say if someone at a station ticket barrier asked you the purpose of your journey, as saying "it's none of your business, I'm allowed to make any journey I like" might be perceived as a bit inflammatory?
Asking the question is inflammatory. If I responded at all (which would depend entirely on my mood) I would simply say "I'm off to Skeggy for a paddle and a stick of rock."

nedchester

Established Member
I know that, you know that but do BTP and station staff?

I would say that I am not obliged to tell you the purpose of my journey. It matters not if it is inflammatory. Polite refusal is the key here. The same applies to the police they can ask but you are not obliged to answer. If you are then refused access then you complain to the TOC / BTP.

I’ve today heard of two occasions when the Merseyrail thugs.....sorry Response security have asked passengers the purpose of their journey. One woman was over 60 and told them she walked too far and decided to get the train home to be sarcastically told by one of them that she should plan her exercise better next time!

LowLevel

Established Member
As has been pointed out ad nauseam though it's not policy to ask you why you're travelling. You might get the odd person who takes it upon themselves but that's different, they will be the same folks who make up the rules as they go regarding ticket validity. The police may choose to ask but that's up to them rather than anything to do with the train operators.

All I'm bothered about is not being chin to chin with people while I'm trying to work and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

nedchester

Established Member
As has been pointed out ad nauseam though it's not policy to ask you why you're travelling. You might get the odd person who takes it upon themselves but that's different, they will be the same folks who make up the rules as they go regarding ticket validity. The police may choose to ask but that's up to them rather than anything to do with the train operators.

All I'm bothered about is not being chin to chin with people while I'm trying to work and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

“ Hi Jayde, we are asking people to follow government advice and only to travel by train if they really need to. Our colleagues and security team continue to ask customers the purpose of their journey, along with support from the British Transport Police. ^DM”

Skymonster

Established Member
It seems to be pretty obvious that many of the TOCs are attempting to discourage travellers from using services, and as long as they do that within the constraints and allowances in the legislation I think that is fair enough. It becomes a problem when they attempt to go beyond the law, especially as they are running a de facto public transport service that is funded by the government - on that basis, I do not believe that such private companies have a right to restrict access beyond what the current regulations permit. The elephant in the room of course is that niggly rule that makes it an offence to ignore or disobey instructions from railway staff. So if a TOC, of just an individual staff member, goes beyond the legislation and takes matters into their own hands by trying to restrict legitimate travel, the prospective customer is put in a very difficult position. Its all very well saying take names, report the problem, etc, but that doesn’t really help the person who might have a need (or even a desire) to travel immediately.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi all, the forum moderating team have decided that we will lock this thread until there is a further change in the legislation. When that happens we will reopen the thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.