• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What type of stock will be allocated to the Highland Chieftain in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimShady

Established Member
What will the Highland Chieftain/Northern Lights service run as now? 2 x 5 car IETs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
What will the Highland Chieftain/Northern Lights service run as now? 2 x 5 car IEPs?

Eh? I was under the impression that will be the domain of the 13 nine-car Class 800s.

mullac30

Eh? I was under the impression that will be the domain of the 13 nine-car Class 800s.
The most recent test run a few days ago was formed of 2 x 5 car IETs, so that's where he was probably coming from. They also might have a better power to weight ratio but I'm not sure about that.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don't have access to the data but some I know reckoned the overall journey time from Kings Cross to Invernes would be no better than today. Faster to Edinburgh but slower there after. Maybe using the wires to Dunblane / Stirling vice diesel operation may help (instead of Haymarket) but diesel operation was seemingly to be slower than today.

gazthomas

Established Member
They lose time compared to the HST.
At full pelt yes, but on the Highland line I'm not so sure. In my experience 800s are pretty nippy pulling away on diesel, which given the many stops and relatively slow line speed plus sliding doors may give it an advantage over the HST on this line

Class 170101

Established Member
At full pelt yes, but on the Highland line I'm not so sure. In my experience 800s are pretty nippy pulling away on diesel, which given the many stops and relatively slow line speed plus sliding doors may give it an advantage over the HST on this line

I think the hill climbing ability on diesel may have more to do with it, so overall a lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.