• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What type of train is the Class 801?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

I see it described in several places as an EMU but surely with the thing on the front being a locomotive, it is a locomotive + carriages. A DMU/EMU is a train with passengers able to sit immediately behind the driver's cab as on the Class 345.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Would make them a lot more interesting if they did have a loco at the front. Something noisy and dirty would be my choice

greatvoyager

Established Member
I see it described in several places as an EMU but surely with the thing on the front being a locomotive, it is a locomotive + carriages. A DMU/EMU is a train with passengers able to sit immediately behind the driver's cab as on the Class 345.
Technically speaking, passengers are able to sit right behind the cab (or behind the galley/kitchen) depending on whether sitting in first or standard class, as there is seating in the driving cars. The 801 driving cars are un-powered, but are both fitted with pantographs to collect AC power depending on direction of travel.

Domh245

Established Member
Also define "right behind" - the 390s are unequivocally EMUs but have got pretty sizeable gap between the cab's rear wall and the first passenger seat

jopsuk

Veteran Member
All vehicles have passenger accommodation, power is distributed throughout the train* and it can easily couple and operate with other members of the class**

*not a requirement of an MU, it must be said- many Southern region ones had a single motor car and all the Mark 3 based EMUs do too
**well, the 5 car ones anyway. The 9s can but the platforms aren't long enough for that. Also I think they can work with 800s?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You’re not getting confused with a 91 surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.