• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was 73 964 doing at Warrington on Friday 9th April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea why GBRf 73 964 was stabled in the bay platform at Warrington Bank Quay on Friday 9th April? The only things that I can think of are either that it is involved in route learning trips, or was en route to Scotland to assist - possibly temporarily - with the haulage of Caledonian Sleeper services once they return to full service in the near future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I saw a 73 heading south through Crewe the other day, presumably the same one. They get used on Network Rail trains up here sometimes. The other week there were two on the inspection train that covered the Merseyrail network in the middle of the night. Not as uncommon as you might think these days.

D6130

Established Member
I saw a 73 heading south through Crewe the other day, presumably the same one. They get used on Network Rail trains up here sometimes. The other week there were two on the inspection train that covered the Merseyrail network in the middle of the night. Not as uncommon as you might think these days.
Thanks for that. You learn something new every day! Wouldn't be a scoop to be able to get a photo of a pair of 73s trundling through one of the Liverpool underground stations topping-and-tailing the test train? Another thought that occurred to me was that it might have been involved in hauling the new 777s from Dollands Moor.

Thanks for that. You learn something new every day! Wouldn't be a scoop to be able to get a photo of a pair of 73s trundling through one of the Liverpool underground stations topping-and-tailing the test train? Another thought that occurred to me was that it might have been involved in hauling the new 777s from Dollands Moor.
I think that has generally been 66s with barrier vehicles. I always regret not getting more pictures of the handfull of 73s when they were based up here on Merseyrail. I always liked the box profile of them and it was something a bit different.

mpb56125

It's being doing route learning runs around the MerseyRail network, hence it's stabling at Warrington Bank Quay.
It should have been road learning Wirral lines but no trip cock fitted so no access into the tunnels in normal traffic. Only managed to do Chester to Birkenhead Central & Ellesmere Port branch all week. When speaking with the driver at Rock Ferry they advised they had been given dispensation the week before but signaller not aware. After 20 minutes at Rock Ferry it returned to Warrington Bank Quay as still refused access to the tunnels.

Went for it the next day at James Street based on what driver said the previous day just in case it got authorised or paperwork found and once again got turned back at Rock Ferry.

Some pictures

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.