• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was the shortest electric loco hauled service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What was the shortest (by distance or time) loco hauled electric service?

I remember ScotRail running 90s on the Edinburgh - North Berwick route for a short period - there was a Doncaster - Leeds working to get GNER trains back from Edinburgh to Neville Hill - but were there any shorter examples?

(obviously there are lots of short distance electric services run by EMUs - Brighton to Hove etc - but I'm talking loco hauled only)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
What was the shortest (by distance or time) loco hauled electric service?

I remember ScotRail running 90s on the Edinburgh - North Berwick route for a short period - there was a Doncaster - Leeds working to get GNER trains back from Edinburgh to Neville Hill - but were there any shorter examples?

(obviously there are lots of short distance electric services run by EMUs - Brighton to Hove etc - but I'm talking loco hauled only)
The York-Shrewsbury mail was at one time electric hauled from Stockport to Crewe. I don’t think that’s quite as short as the North Berwick workings, though.

TheEdge

Established Member
Class 90 sets dragged complete with loco still attached from Norwich to Yarmouth?

Or is that rather stretching the definition of electric loco hauled service? ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose London Victoria to Gatwick Airport with class 73s was reasonably short distance wise (43 miles ish?).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not the shortest, but Liverpool Street-Cambridge was loco-hauled (56 miles).

DanNCL

Established Member
Pretty sure many years ago 91s were occasionally used on Newcastle - Durham shuttles during engineering works. There's bound to have been occasions where 91s have worked just between Bradford and Leeds too as a result of disruption.

Ken H

On Moderation
The Cl89 Peterborough must have been quite short. Or the 'Cobblers' to Northampton. Or some Cl73 BSK + Vans workings on the southern.

And the York - Shrewsbury TPO was electric loco hauled between Stockport and Crewe. So while it was a long distance train the electric haulage was quite short

Dave W

73s appeared on the Kenny Belle (link to RMWeb: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...e-kenny-belle/&do=findComment&comment=1239364)

I took your initial question to mean shortest in terms of train length... This picture appears to satisfy both... It is obviously, however, diesel powered here - which rather scuppers my five minutes of research...

Now if your question was "Shortest Electric Loco Hauled Service", and not the other way round, I might have got away with it...

gg1

Established Member
In terms of the national rail network I think the North Berwick 90s+DVT mentioned in the opening post will be the winner, though the 30 miles from Crewe to Manchester in the early 60s is worth a mention.

Widen it further though and you have the Metropolitan Railway in the early 20th century, where initially services switched from electric to steam haulage at Harrow, around 9 miles from Baker Street. The City and South London Railway (now part of the Northern Line) also briefly operated electric loco hauled trains before switching to EMUs around the same time, probably over similar distances.

DustyBin

Established Member
Pretty sure many years ago 91s were occasionally used on Newcastle - Durham shuttles during engineering works. There's bound to have been occasions where 91s have worked just between Bradford and Leeds too as a result of disruption.

The locomotive hauled services on the Metropolitan line must be a good shout. Originally I believe the electric locomotives were swapped for steam at Harrow(?). I'm not sure if LU counts though!

Edit: @gg1 beat me to it, just!

Ken H

On Moderation
The locomotive hauled services on the Metropolitan line must be a good shout. Originally I believe the electric locomotives were swapped for steam at Harrow(?). I'm not sure if LU counts though!

Edit: @gg1 beat me to it, just!
If we are doing LU, what about the original Central London Railway locos, before they got multiple units.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
In terms of the national rail network I think the North Berwick 90s+DVT mentioned in the opening post will be the winner, though the 30 miles from Crewe to Manchester in the early 60s is worth a mention.
Crewe-Liverpool too (35.5 miles) for a couple of years until the wires extended further south.
Manchester-Sheffield via Woodhead (41 miles) was e-loco-hauled until closure.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
73s appeared on the Kenny Belle (link to RMWeb: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...e-kenny-belle/&do=findComment&comment=1239364)

I took your initial question to mean shortest in terms of train length... This picture appears to satisfy both... It is obviously, however, diesel powered here - which rather scuppers my five minutes of research...

Now if your question was "Shortest Electric Loco Hauled Service", and not the other way round, I might have got away with it...

I did consider that one but am I right in thinking that the 73s were running on diesel power for some or all of the journey?

ExRes

Established Member
I suppose London Victoria to Gatwick Airport with class 73s was reasonably short distance wise (43 miles ish?).

Come along now Mr Cowley, I bet you're a fisherman aren't you, Victoria to Gatwick is around 25 miles, you'll be telling us next that Exeter has a football team ;)

gg1

Established Member
Crewe-Liverpool too (35.5 miles) for a couple of years until the wires extended further south.
Manchester-Sheffield via Woodhead (41 miles) was e-loco-hauled until closure.
A few of the Woodhead services were shorter still, those continuing on to Manchester Central and Liverpool changed traction at Guide Bridge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Come along now Mr Cowley, I bet you're a fisherman aren't you, Victoria to Gatwick is around 25 miles, you'll be telling us next that Exeter has a football team ;)

You know where you are with crabs…

gg1

Established Member
Does anyone know if the NER/LNER Newport to Shildon line had any shorter distance electrified freight workings to intermediate locations on the route, or were they all end to end?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The York-Shrewsbury mail was at one time electric hauled from Stockport to Crewe. I don’t think that’s quite as short as the North Berwick workings, though.
That’s a decent shout @43096 as its only about 4 miles difference to North Berwick - Edinburgh.

The electrified system at Kearsley power station was only a short distance to the exchange sidings adjacent to the Bolton to Manchester line.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am going for the North Berwick one. At least that was a regular service and not a special or disruption remedy. Otherwise you will be including something like a Leeds > Neville Hill/ Centela > Heaton ECS effort.
You know where you are with crabs…
The drs?

Established Member
If we are doing LU, what about the original Central London Railway locos, before they got multiple units.

The winner there would be the original City & South London Railway from Stockwell to King William Street, 3.2 miles. The original CLR was a few miles longer.

xotGD

Established Member
Three suggestions:

The Edinburgh portion of the Caledonian sleeper - electric loco from Carstairs to Waverley
Also on the sleeper, the drag backs from Wembley to Euston when diverted via the ECML.

After a drag from Nuneaton to New St, the electric would then put its pan up for the short run to Wolverhampton,

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Widen it further though and you have the Metropolitan Railway in the early 20th century, where initially services switched from electric to steam haulage at Harrow, around 9 miles from Baker Street. The City and South London Railway (now part of the Northern Line) also briefly operated electric loco hauled trains before switching to EMUs around the same time, probably over similar distances.

Victoria to Gatwick with class 73s was shorter

Strathclyder

Established Member
Funny, I was just looking up the ScotRail Class 90+Mk3 North Berwick turns a few days ago. Most associated with the National Express era (believe it started after the demise of the 305s in late 2001/early 2002, but am willing to be corrected there; they shared the route with SPT 318s on and off too during this time), but it lasted into First's tenure before the 322s returned north again. Indeed, the second of the linked images below is dated 30th June 2005, 8 months into First's tenure.

(linked images copyright of Flickr's RobT653, John Whitehouse, 6089Gardener & Ewan respectively)

Status
Not open for further replies.