• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was this tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddiesjack

On Sunday 14th Sept, about 13:30, I saw in the distance some sort of excursion train waiting for a signal at New Mills South Junction. It seemed to topped and tailed by a couple of blue 47s, and the stock looked like chocolate and cream.

I looked it up on Real Time Trains and this is what it must have been:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54057/2014/09/14/advanced

but its a bit vague as to what trip it was. I couldn't find anything on any of the railtour web pages I looked at, so hence my query in here - what was it??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
It will have been the “Northern Belle” luxury dining train. It often goes out on a Sunday for a circular trip while the passengers are served afternoon tea or a full Sunday lunch.

The train utilises mark 2 coaching stock painted in Pullman umber and cream livery, and Direct Rail Services provide class 47s, usually top and tailed, to work it.

More specifically, it will have been this afternoon tea working:
http://www.luxurytrainclub.com/trains/belmond-northern-belle/
AFTERNOON TEAS
Afternoon Tea – Strolling musicians and table magicians add to the peaceful ambiance whilst a glass of Champagne, sandwiches, cakes and scones with tea and coffee are served.

Mad Hatter’s Tea Party - On the same journey one can enjoy an Alice in Wonderland-themed tea party in the Mad Hatters’ decorated carriage. There is no Champagne, but there are purple sandwiches, along with other surprises, as well as the strolling musicians and magicians. Please request this carriage at time of booking.

Laurent-Perrier Afternoon Tea – On the same journey, one can indulge in sophisticated Champagne tasting, enjoying four glasses of Laurent-Perrier champagne: Ultra Brut, Brut Vintage 2004, Demi-Sec and Cuvée Rosé. Afternoon tea is served whilst the musicians and magicians entertain.

Journey time: from 2 to 4 hours approximately.

Departures, Dates and Prices 2014

14 September: Sheffield (13.00hrs), Manchester (13.45hrs)

21 September: Manchester (13:30hrs), Bolton (13:45hrs), Preston (14:10hrs)

12 October: Coventry (13.00hrs), Birmingham (13.15hrs).

Price: £185 per person for Afternoon/the Mad Hatter’s tea

…………£225 per person for the Laurent-Perrier tea.

oddiesjack

Blimey!

Its a good job I didn't see it on its second run through from Chinley to New Mills, or else I would have been turning teetotal!

Status
Not open for further replies.