• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What were the first Walk Through trains in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
They would have been the first to have full width inter-vehicle gangways without doors, but there have been plenty of trains before then where you could walk from one end to the other!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In terms of "no doors between carriages", yes Class 378s. Assuming light rail vehicles etc are excluded (in which case Metrolink T68s would win).

On Moderation
In terms of "no doors between carriages", yes Class 378s. Assuming light rail vehicles etc are excluded (in which case Metrolink T68s would win).
I would argue the Mark 3s count as they had automatic vestibule doors so you could just walk through without having to open a door (either with a handle or pushing a button).

py_megapixel

Established Member
Actually *those* would win...

Wasn't thinking beyond trams, clearly...
I'm sorry, but I've thought of another one. Firstly, the Pacers are in a rough tie with the T&WM....

But there is another contender (and this is one of my proudest moments, the ultimate in RUFK pedancy;)). The Blackpool Tramway has vehicles built in the 1930s, which technically permit an uninterrupted walk all the way through... because there's only one car...

All of this is, of course, assuming we are only talking about stock which is still in service.

jh64

Dunno if Tyne & Wear Metros quite make the list, they do have a full width gangway but only between the two coaches of one unit - they always run in coupled pairs with no passage between the two units. It's fun to stand on the moving part of the floor above the articulated section! The new Stadler trains will be walk-through along the entire length.

class717

Yes I meant full width gangways without doors, both heavy and light rail, would it be the 378s for heavy and the DLRs for light?

rebmcr

Established Member
DLR and Metrolink are both classified as articulated single carriages, rather than large-gangwayed pairs of carriages.

(Just as a 'bendy bus' is a single vehicle.)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Don't 142's often have it so you can just walk all the way through without having to open a door?

SeanG

Dunno if Tyne & Wear Metros quite make the list, they do have a full width gangway but only between the two coaches of one unit - they always run in coupled pairs with no passage between the two units. It's fun to stand on the moving part of the floor above the articulated section! The new Stadler trains will be walk-through along the entire length.
The metro cars used to run singly (ie one unit/two carriages)

Status
Not open for further replies.