• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you like to see preserved in 10 - 15 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'd like to see a bl**dy Northern Ireland Railways 80 class thumper preserved, but it seems there's fat chance of that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leewoods60019

Keep all the 60's 66's 67's 37's etc. and I think the railway should build more types of 37's and 67's for regular service rather than these really modern trains. Technology is too advanced for my likes and the future of rail transport should be the past trains newly build to modern standards and maybe steam services every now and then.

Tomnick

Established Member
That's actually a very good idea. There is a lot of absolute block signalling equipment in preservation, and a few Westinghouse lever frames in various places, but I've never heard of anything newer.
The temporary switch panel at Horsted Keynes? ;)

With modern equipment, there won't be much to preserve (you can't put software in a glass case) so there should be something from the era before that.

Other oddities, I want to see the last big, mechanical 'flap' destination board preserved. It's a pity the one from York wasn't moved to the NRM, where it could carry on doing its job up on the wall. I wanted to save the King's Cross board, but could not afford to buy it. If there is one still going, then someone ought to save it.
That's the sort of thing that I'm worried will be forgotten about in the enthusiasm to 'save' yet another 37 (that we haven't got the resources to maintain). Just as there's big changes in the traction on the national network, there's big changes also in the infrastructure itself. The mechanical departure boards, the NX panels, even (maybe!) ultimately the colour-light signal...it's all part of the 'railway story' - possibly even more significant than a typical single class of locomotive.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Keep all the 60's 66's 67's 37's etc. and I think the railway should build more types of 37's and 67's for regular service rather than these really modern trains. Technology is too advanced for my likes and the future of rail transport should be the past trains newly build to modern standards and maybe steam services every now and then.

But surely advancing technology is a good thing overall - it might be hard on the enthusiast but the railway isn't run just for them. I wouldn't have said that a modern steam loco like the 5AT idea would be able to match modern electric such as a Taurus* or TRAXX

Plus I think at least one of every class should be preserved, and agree on preserving infrastructure. In 30 years time when ETCS is rolling out then the whole British way of signalling will be on the way out (ours is route based, ETCS is speed based)

*Show me a 37 that is capable matching that video!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And I think the railway should build more types of 37's and 67's for regular service rather than these really modern trains.

67's aren't a modern type of locomotive? Thats news to me! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_67

starrymarkb said:
Show me a 37 that is capable matching that video!

I'm always amazed by the speed that train gets going! Could do with a few of those over here. Then again we could do with just about any train over here as long as it carried passengers.

Last edited:
We need one example of every class to be preserved. It would be a shame to see any class become completely extinct, however good or bad they were on the mainline.
that is exactly my thinking, all classes, and if they are units a whole unit, not a part of it, the whole thing

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, they're a moden type of locomotive.

Indeed they are :oops:

I guess I was carrying on from what was said in the quoted post, where they were referred to as trains. Ah well, easy mistake to make.

Tomnick

Established Member
A single light locomotive is most definitely still a train, in the Rules and Regs sense at least!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It might be worth considering one driving car each of a 507, a 455 and a 4-NET. The NRM have quite a few bits and pieces of Southern units, including a 4-SUB driving car, an old LNWR driving car and a 4-VEP, so some later BR vehicles would make a decent contrast.

Alas, the NRM doesn't have a whole 4-VEP, just a driving trailer.

I agree about preserving a flap board. To be honest, I don't see why they ever got rid of them in the first place.

FlyingScot

A 67 would be nice. As many of you think that a class 67 is not at all old school but what if they preserved the royal train engine 67005 Queen's messenger? it could work.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Definatley think there should be one example of everything preserved. Even if only on static display...

Vulcan

As general vegetable said, If a unit is to be preserved, it should be the whole unit, not just part of one. For example, who here wishes a Blue Pullman had been preserved? me for one.

Vulcan

I have no wish to tell them what they should have done, or to point and laugh because they only have one coach. But in future lessons should be learnt and whole units preserved.

Bittern

Established Member
No. They have two thirds of a rotting away 311. Plus, they refer to it as a "Glasgow Blue Train", although the Blue Trains were 303s.

They've just left it there to be forgotten. The condition is horrendous, and it's the last of it's kind too.

Vulcan

I know, I was just saying, also :D

Speaking of preserved units, anyone know if any 305s still remain? I remember them from my childhood running around West Yorkshire before the 333s were built.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Aye, that's the one. I remember now. I didn't realise it was sitting in such a condition. I really should get out there and have a look.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know, I was just saying, also :D

Speaking of preserved units, anyone know if any 305s still remain? I remember them from my childhood running around West Yorkshire before the 333s were built.

were they the ones that were used on North Berwick services at the end of their days? If so, I don't think any remain. I'm sure someone will know for sure though.

Vulcan

were they the ones that were used on North Berwick services at the end of their days? If so, I don't think any remain. I'm sure someone will know for sure though.

As far as I know their last use was on the Airedale and Wharfdale electrified lines, wearing Metro red livery.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I had a wee look on the wikipedia page about them, some did indeed finish up at shields depot working the North Berwicks, there is a photo of one at Waverley. It also says that none made it to preservation and a class 308 was saved instead.

Bittern

Established Member
Here's a nice shot of one I just found on Scot-Rail. They did work Edinburgh - North Berwick services.

Aye, that's the one. I remember now. I didn't realise it was sitting in such a condition. I really should get out there and have a look.

I was there a couple of days ago. It's in an horrendous condition.

Vulcan

Its also pretty late, thats my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. (plus I've had 4 pints earlier - The Alexandra, Derby - gets Vulcan's personal thumbs up) :D

Bittern

Established Member
Is it even on official display? What else do they have there anyway?

Well it's sitting there beside a boat that's on display and right next to a tram stop on the pointless we tram line they have.

They have a bunch of crap there. Only things remotely of interest I found were two Steam Cranes, an unidentified (and again, horrid condition) Steam locomotive...ish thing (I really don't know what it was, but there was a sign on it saying "Don't climb on the train"), an industrial tank loco (though I think it's a mock up) is displayed inside and when passing on the adjunct North Clyde Line, I saw some proper steam locos, but again, their condition was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.