• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you prefer to travel in

What would you prefer to travel in

• Mk2 (eraly style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mk2F (Cross Country or West Coast)

• Mk3 (HST or loco hauled)

• Mk4 (old style)

• Voyager

• Pendo

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

It's gonna be a HST here, never can get away from those things. :)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
MK3 for me, because I love HSTs, and they are extremely comfortable too.

Who voted for pendos? :? ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
MK3 for me, because I love HSTs, and they are extremely comfortable too.

Who voted for pendos? :? ;)
I assume whoever voted for Pendos has only travelled on them when they're empty so they can get to pick a rare table seat that actually lines up with the windows.

Did you know only tables have power sockets on Pendos? While on GNER HSTs, Virgin Voyagers and GNER Mk4s* they're at every window seat.

You can't really beat a GNER HST, the great Mk3 coach with power sockets :) All they need now is WiFi... ;)

(* Except in the buffet car, which makes sense really!)

For comfort, convenience, the Mk3 wins for me. But from an enthusiast perspective, the Mk1 is more interesting. Also if travelling in a group, it's better to have a compartment, which most Mk1s have.

Jordy

Established Member
It has to be the MK3 for me, comfortable and usually hauled by something decent-or in a HST formation ;)

Jordy

tramboy

Voted for mk4 mallard refurb. Comfy yes, more legroom (also yes) and happier if they would actually put back the vestibule end seats...as I always seem to end up standing in a corridor connection!

I would also vote for a 373 "Eurostar" set...comfy, quiet and darn smooth.

Regards

Dave

AlexS

Established Member
I shouldnt stand in the corridor connection Dave! I'd rather miss the train than risk that. Not to be too morbid or anything, but if the train were to have an accident, you could find yourself flying down the East Coast at 125mph minus train!

joy54.gen

Well I suppose the only people who can give a clear view on this are people who have travelled on all types. I think I have done all of those and on the mainline as well.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Purely from a travelling point of view, a Mk3 would win, but only just scraping over the Mk2. For an enthusiast perspective, Mk1s or none A/C Mk2s would win due to the ability to get the thrash from the comfort of your seat, rarther than standing in a vestibule, plus the fact that there are more windows to go around. Mk4s are acceptable and do the job, Pendolinos and Voyagers though, yuck.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tough call for me. I personally have to say MK3, on the basis it's the most enjoyable carriage on the mainline.

MK2s were enjoyable on the Rhymneys, but I can't see me sitting in my seat on one all the way tomorrow... ;)

Tom B

Established Member
Mk1. The only trains with proper seats, not those foam excuses they have these days. And not a cheap plastic moulding, air-con system, bright pink grab handle or irritating voice telling us what we already know in sight.

AlexS

Established Member
Naw, just ill fitting doors, the wind tunnel effect, some annoying rattling that doesn't stop for two and a half hours, windows that won't open properly, and a ride like a pacer on steroids. No tar, I'll take the 170 please.

A Mk4 Mallard with WiFi. Failing that a well maintained Mk2F. The Virgin ones were a bit ropey by the time they were withdrawn, someone had obviously thought that not looking after them would make the Voyagers look better...

Nick W

Established Member
I'm biased as one mk3s are crap, and all the pendo journeys have been great.

Pendo

2nd is mk1 - can't remember the one hst journey i did.

i would much prefer a nice comfy mk1sk type coach complete with blindes and removeable bulbs just right for those overnights :D

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Got to be a Mk.1 for me any day! Lovely old coaches and still going strong! Plus the added FACT that they're the best and most comfortable coaches ever built! Nice ride in Mk.1 coaches when they have Commonwealth bogies (a.k.a. 99041 (support coach of 6233 Duchess of Sutherland)). Also nice to sleep in, when stabled! :lol:

ChrisM

HST for me,couldn't imagine doing Bournemouth to Aberdeen on a Voyager,super or not.

AlexS

Established Member
Oh, and the audio announcements on modern traction make travelling on the railways a possibility for blind people - otherwise, you may not know where your stop is, or that there is a large gap between the train and the platform you could take a tumble down. Some of us need to think and remember that while some things may be annoying to us people who are lucky enough to have no major impairments, they are essential to other people who are not so lucky.

Southern

They don't even play half the time on the 375's. The displays normally static, with the words THIS TRAIN IS FOR DOVER PRIORY, if on at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.