• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's a good place to base myself for a trip along the Settle-Carlisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Apart from that I like historic buildings/towns and walks in the country. I'm heading up north soon, but only to York, and then Newcastle which are a bit far away, so I'm thinking of another trip. Carlisle itself look nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
You can reasonably do a round-trip from York or Newcastle in a day, with time off for sight-seeing.

Carlisle isn't a bad place to stay, and there are few cheap hotels. But the city centre is very lively at weekends!

Bungle73

On Moderation
You can reasonably do a round-trip from York or Newcastle in a day, with time off for sight-seeing.

Carlisle isn't a bad place to stay, and there are few cheap hotels. But the city centre is very lively at weekends!
York is best for time, because I'm there a week. Newcastle has a direct line to Carlisle, but I've only got 3 full days there.
Bolton Abbey is close enough to Skipton, has many walking routes around the moores.
Is it easy to get to, bearing in mind I'm reliant on public transport?

philjo

Established Member
Buses to Bolton Abbey go from Ilkley station (the Grassington service).
or use the Embsay & bolton abbey steam line & walk from Bolton abbey station ( about half a mile across the fields)

There are several places to stay in Settle which are within a few minutes walk from the station.
Or stay in Hawes - bus/taxi needed from Garsdale station. (you can also get the bus the otherway to Hawes from Northallerton or try the Wensledale Railway)

If you stay in Skipton you can also get the train that goes across to Carnforth/Lancaster (or use Giggleswick station if staying in Settle)

We did a good 10 mile linear walk from Dent station - a footpath goes up over the top of Blea Moor tunnel (you pass the line of the air shafts for the tunnnel below) & the path goes down past Blea Moor signal box (good photos from there with Ingleborough in the background) and down under the viaduct ending up at Ribblehead station for the train back to Settle.

Last edited:

Established Member
Saltaire is a very historic place with very good architecture, and is also a World Heritage site - good links to Leeds or Skipton.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
From skipton you could also do the KWVR.... just incase that is something you fancy

IanD

Established Member
There's one of them Ibis hotels next to the canal at Shipley. Less than 10 mins walk from the station (and also Saltaire as suggested earlier). V handy for the 9:01 train to Carlisle. North East/North West Round Robins are valid from there @ £28/£23 with your railcard discount. Also handy if you want to get a WY day rover - possible to cover the whole WY network from there if you start early on a Saturday, particulary if you've covered Shipley-Skipton and Leeds-York on a Round Robin.

Cheap pub next door (The Noble Comb) as well, plus Fanny's Ale House on the edge of Saltaire if you fancy real ale and cider @ Yorkshire prices.

www.fannysalehouse.com

And there's a great walk from Shipley/Saltaire across Shipley Glen and Ilkley Moor via Dick Hudson's pub ending up at Ilkley railway station.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.