• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats everyone's opinion on.....

Would you buy from Packard bell

• Only as a last resort

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • not on my nelly

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • if the backage looked good enough on paper

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • yes, their a good company

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, but be wary, they use sub standard components like PCworld

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've used them before, they get my vote

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I've used them once, and will only use them once in my lifetime

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

compsci

It should be noted that the place other than PC World that you're most likely to come across one of their systems is Dixons (now renamed to Currys Digital for some reason). PC World and Currys (Digital) are all owned by the Dixons group. Several other brands follow the same pattern. If nobody else will sell them, run away.

Daniel

Established Member
I wouldn't use 'em, mate. I've used them for both internal components and speakers. Both are now broken and I have recieved no support or a refund.

I'd reccomend a custom build.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why not go for a company that is renowned for quality, such as Dell?

If you want the best possible deal, and have a list of specific components you want, it may be better to custom build. But you'd be on your own in terms of support - this suits many people though.

Remember most brand names use standard components, the only thing that is branded by them is the case. So as long as you don't mind spending a bit of time doing it, building your own is a good way to go. If you do this, don't buy any components until you are ready to buy the complete PC - you will then save on postage costs, and components generally reduce in price over time anyway.

I recommend going for a couple of hard drives - that way you can have your data on 2 hard drives (OK, this isn't a foolproof backup method, but it does protect against hard drive failure and if that occurs you have an instant backup).

I also note that the specification you link to doesn't go into detail, like they say the HDD is 7200rpm (very standard these days for IDE) but that is meaningless without the interface, access time etc. On board sound? Not ideal. What interface does the video card use? As for the RAM, "DDR 2" is almost meaningless out of context.

I see that it's a dual core CPU - but will you be running a lot of CPU-intensive multithreaded apps? I bet BVE is single threaded (can anyone confirm?), and I know MSTS is.

devon_metro

Established Member
Oops wrong option. Meant not on my nelly.

To put it simply my first and last Packard was crap ;)

nutter

Have dell been through a massive transformation the past few years, cos I still remember them in the same group as PCworld, Only if your desperate. Do they use half decent equipment etc. As you've recommended tell, I'll have a look

DIY has and still is an option, but I took an old one apart (got it in 2000) and all I saw was a mass of cables. I could still recognise the components, but quite frankly, it but me off the idea big time. And, as I'm away from home 95% of the time I don't really have that much time, unless you could build one in a day if you have all the components. Does anyone know if any computer shops in the wolverhampton area do system builds for a flat rate?

Many thanks
Nutts (mark)

Just had a look at dell, I'm not to sure because you can't do Internet transfer, can you do cheques or postal order. Unfortunatly, the fact they don't do Internet transfer is quite a big set back, as it is by far the esiest option for me

1D53

Established Member
back of spanners.

my grandparents computer has been filled with headaches since day 1. another pc world jobbie.

nutter

The only real min specs I have is for a 7950gt graphics card and creative labs music sound card. Ideally I'd like a 2.4Ghz duo core processor (although this can be 1.86 if needed) and 2gb RAM.

The only thing I'll really be using this new PC for is KRS, MSTS, BVE and simsig. Except for that, not alot else, most other games I play, such as rollercoaster tycoon need lower specs anyway

Craig

Established Member
So basically they are all the same as PCworld
PC World can be alright if you ignore all the rubbish on their website and do a bit of research yourself. I bought my laptop from them in a sale 3 years ago and it still runs fine (admittedly it's been formatted as a matter of course a few times).

I don't think I'd buy anything from them that wasn't discounted though, most/all of their stuff is quite over priced.

petethetim

PC World can be alright if you ignore all the rubbish on their website and do a bit of research yourself. I bought my laptop from them in a sale 3 years ago and it still runs fine (admittedly it's been formatted as a matter of course a few times).

I don't think I'd buy anything from them that wasn't discounted though, most/all of their stuff is quite over priced.

Yeah & avoid their extended warranty's

nutter

LOL, the laptop I'm getting has been reduced by £50 from in store. It'll keep me going for a couple of months, thats all I really want it for. No plans on getting any extended this, extended that, cos I can't afford it LOL

Can Dell except bank transferes?

Nathan

O dear, im the only voter for "I've used them before, they get my vote".

Status
Not open for further replies.