• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's Going on With the 68s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
What's happening with the Class 68s?

I'm sure I saw a Chiltern one near Newcastle the other week, and a dark blue one on 658K (68029) today. While I realise DRS have some, I'm sure it was the Scotrail livered version. Turns out it's a plainer DRS livery.

So I guess that half moot points the thread but how come the Chiltern livered one is so far away from it's home?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Chiltern ones have exams at Crewe and only swap over on Saturdays so are available for other traffic if available at Crewe. Of the Chiltern 8 only six are needed on the route (five sets plus a spare) so there is often going to be one elsewhere under DRS control. As it happens there are seven on Chiltern at the moment but it’s quite usual for them to work off Crewe on other traffic.

Far north 37

Established Member
One of the chiltern liveried class 67s is quite often the east coast thunderbird at newcastle maybe if it was from a distance might of been that you seen.

DanNCL

Established Member
I think the 68s are under utilised, if so how can DRS underwrite them financially?
. Apart from Trans Pennine please evidence
Transpennine Express will be using 15 of the 68s on a daily basis. Chiltern Railways use 6, plus there are 2 in use on the Cumbrian Coast and another 2 in use on the Fife Circle. That only leaves 12 left, of those 12 some could be used to replace 37s and 57s, whilst others could end up in passenger service (the new Wales & Borders franchise has yet to announce the traction for their Mark 4 sets)

The 88s on the other hand do appear to be underutilsed, seeing as all they're used on is a Daventry - Scotland container train and the occasional nuclear flask... (would I be right in thinking they now also have an ECML regular working?)

gazthomas

Established Member
Transpennine Express will be using 15 of the 68s on a daily basis. Chiltern Railways use 6, plus there are 2 in use on the Cumbrian Coast and another 2 in use on the Fife Circle. That only leaves 12 left, of those 12 some could be used to replace 37s and 57s, whilst others could end up in passenger service (the new Wales & Borders franchise has yet to announce the traction for their Mark 4 sets)

The 88s on the other hand do appear to be underutilsed, seeing as all they're used on is a Daventry - Scotland container train and the occasional nuclear flask... (would I be right in thinking they now also have an ECML regular working?)
Based on your assessment the 68s look busy compared to the 88s. I do wonder though whether DRS have become part of the infamous "strategic rail reserve" albiet for modern traction

Roast Veg

Established Member
A Chiltern liveried 68 made it as far as Leicester last year on a stone working.

themiller

A pair of 88s is often the traction on the Heysham flasks. Also, I'm seeing more 88 + 68 combinations on other flask services.

a_c_skinner

Established Member

This (Torness to Carlisle, two flasks) was 2x88s when I saw it today at Chevington...

Suraggu

DRS class 68's have four main customers at present.
68001-005/016-018 DRS common user pool
68006-007 Scotrail Contract
68008-015 Chiltern Railway Contract (008/009 spare I believe)
68019 -034 TPE Contract (033/034 spare I believe).

Also DRS still have a tender out for 10 new diesel electric locomotives, which people would assume with go to Stadler for more UKLight's.
With the rumour of the Wales & Borders Franchise using DRS for traction providers of the loco hauled trains, its likely to see even more of them in the next few years.

USRailFan

DRS class 68's have four main customers at present.
68001-005/016-018 DRS common user pool
68006-007 Scotrail Contract
68008-015 Chiltern Railway Contract (008/009 spare I believe)
68019 -034 TPE Contract (033/034 spare I believe).

Also DRS still have a tender out for 10 new diesel electric locomotives, which people would assume with go to Stadler for more UKLight's.
With the rumour of the Wales & Borders Franchise using DRS for traction providers of the loco hauled trains, its likely to see even more of them in the next few years.

AFAIK all the DRS 47s and 20s are gone now? More Eurolights = 37s gone too?

Railperf

Established Member
Chiltern 68's alive and well ...rode 68012 on a Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street service ...beautiful diesel soundtrack ...if you like that sort of thing. But pretty noisy under full power - almost as noisy as a DMU lol!

Railperf

Established Member
And the same set Banbury Southbound ... much faster acceleration this time round. 0-60 in around 81 seconds, 90mph in 3 minutes and 3 miles - pretty impressive!!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
93's feature in at least two franchise proposals....

Essentially an 88 with a bigger engine and batteries. Could be a possibility...

Suraggu

93's feature in at least two franchise proposals....

Essentially an 88 with a bigger engine and batteries. Could be a possibility...

1800hp engine derated after ETS supply attached even with batteries and a pantograph for Cardiff to Newport, cannot see that performing well, even on load 4/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.