• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's going with the Starbucks at St. Pancras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Several months ago there were boards around that area with a message saying it was being refurbished. It opened a little later. Yesterday I went there and there are boards around it again with the same message.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroman62

The previous work was to put up glass walls to enclose the space. We were surprised to see it closed again, but also noticed the branch on Euston Road not far away was also closed for refurbishment, perhaps they are having a major rebrand or development and it is just a coincidence that the St P one has been shut twice.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I sometimes pop in there on my way home if I fancy a coffee.

Thee are plenty of other caffeine opportunities in the retail cellar. A proper pub at the top end would be welcome as opposed to the 'expect your change from a £4.20 pint' Des Vins; which is the only outlet for a swift pint at that end.

ji459

What for? They've only just put them up.

Because their main purpose appeared to be to keep the heating within the space - now the heating is switched off that reason for enclosing the space no longer exists.

DVD

What for? They've only just put them up.

I find that most Starbucks drinks are bascially hot milk with a bare minimum of actual coffee. I avoid whenever possible.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I like the Italian Coffe Bar on Caledonian Road, 'Grand Sasso' I think its called, roughly opposite the Tesco where rails staff get their snacks and Ruby Bar on the other corner.
I also like McGlynn's Bar down Argyll Street as a local stop off for a few minutes.

Both are sensible prices and better quality than anything I've found yet in St.P.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Its the nearest coffee shop to the escalators to the Southeastern platforms. I really can't be bothered to go trapesing all over the shop (and certainly not outside the station) when I've got a train to catch and want to go home.

Because their main purpose appeared to be to keep the heating within the space - now the heating is switched off that reason for enclosing the space no longer exists.

So, they spend a week or two putting the glass walls up, during which time the shop is completely closed and therefore they loose money, and then about a month later they spend another week or two taking them down, again with the shop closed. Yeah that makes sense.

Anyway it's not like the area is particularly cold in the winter. And they put them up in the spring.

Clip

Established Member
I like the Italian Coffe Bar on Caledonian Road, 'Grand Sasso' I think its called, roughly opposite the Tesco where rails staff get their snacks and Ruby Bar on the other corner.
I also like McGlynn's Bar down Argyll Street as a local stop off for a few minutes.

Both are sensible prices and better quality than anything I've found yet in St.P.

Changed its name now dave - god knows why but noticed it last night when I was around there.But was a great place to get a beer in.

Go to Starbucks when there's a Cafe Nero just outside? No sir, I like to taste coffee not Starbuck's hot brown water.

causton

Established Member
I find that most Starbucks drinks are bascially hot milk with a bare minimum of actual coffee. I avoid whenever possible.

Well they have doubled the amount of actual coffee in the drinks now!

Unfortunately the service at my local Cafe Nero puts me off using any of them.

I prefer Costa ;)

caliwag

Personally cannot see the point in luke warm brown water when there's a grand pub in the form of the Brie Louise next to Euston. 50p off for CAMRA members...almost brings it down to the rip-off cost of the coffee.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Personally cannot see the point in luke warm brown water when there's a grand pub in the form of the Brie Louise next to Euston. 50p off for CAMRA members...almost brings it down to the rip-off cost of the coffee.

Euston isn't Kings Cross and the Bree Louise is very hit & miss for a decent pint had more dross there than good stuff so I give it a miss (even the Euston Tap is better!).
For Kings Cross has to be the
King Charles or the Queens Head both eminently superior in ale quality to the Bree and much closer to Kings X.

Bungle73

On Moderation
If I wanted a pint (of Real Ale) I'd go to a pub, but I'm not I would be after a coffee, so I visit a coffee shop.

Wolfie

Established Member
But I want something I can take on the train with me.

Wetherspoon (not as there is one at any of StP, KX or Euston, but there is at Liverpool St and Victoria) do Lavazza coffee from 99p - take-away cups are available.

At Euston I would suggest Cafe Rouge in the forecourt - take-away cups of Musetti coffee (very good) for £1 (or was it 99p???).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Euston isn't Kings Cross and the Bree Louise is very hit & miss for a decent pint had more dross there than good stuff so I give it a miss (even the Euston Tap is better!).
For Kings Cross has to be the King Charles or the Queens Head both eminently superior in ale quality to the Bree and much closer to Kings X.

Different people have different views about real ales but CAMRA North London branch (I am a member) would very definitely beg to differ......

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Different people have different views about real ales but CAMRA North London branch (I am a member) would very definitely beg to differ......

I only go by my experience of the place. I am very dubious of a lot of the Camra endorsed pubs as they often do a 'good spread' for them when they visit but ordinary Joe ends up with a totally different pint and the staff saying it has to be good because Camra says so.
Most reviewers of recent on the relevant pub sites tend to share my view of the place.

EM2

Established Member
Anyway it's not like the area is particularly cold in the winter. And they put them up in the spring.
Believe me, at 3am in the middle of January, it's bloody freezing!
And they're not being taken down. I *think* the glass walls were decided by HS1, and Starbucks couldn't arrange their refurb at the same time.

ji459

So, they spend a week or two putting the glass walls up, during which time the shop is completely closed and therefore they loose money, and then about a month later they spend another week or two taking them down, again with the shop closed. Yeah that makes sense.

Nice attitude: If you know all the answers, why post the question in the first place? :rolleyes:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Nice attitude: If you know all the answers, why post the question in the first place? :rolleyes:

Attttude? It seems you're the one with the attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how some people on Internet forums will seek to make a big deal out of any little thing. It really is irritating.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

I like Upper Crust and have a coffee discount card (6th one free).
It says "available all over the UK" and I use it all the time at stations.
However, when I tried a UC outlet on the M40 they said the cards were "only at railway stations" with that look that says you were stupid to ask.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I like Upper Crust and have a coffee discount card (6th one free).
It says "available all over the UK" and I use it all the time at stations.
However, when I tried a UC outlet on the M40 they said the cards were "only at railway stations" with that look that says you were stupid to ask.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Where is it btw?

Barclay

Hs1 really didn't want the Starbucks screens to go up, they restrict the visibility of the Southeastern platform entrance when looking from the top of the arcade. Starbucks staff approached Camden's environmental health department about the cold temperatures, and an enforcement ntice was served to make the unit warmer. Glazed screens were the only way to achieve higher temperatures.

PS Filter coffee in Pret at St Pancras is 99p.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Expensive. But at least you can sit and look at the trains.

Variable - not just the quality of the beer but the prices charged fluctuate. People have been charged differently for buying exactly the same thing as they did last time. It's okay for what it is I suppose.

If you are in a dash and aren't fussy for proper beer Des Vins is closer to the EMT/FCC/SET platforms but it is around the £4 a pint mark for lager.

Status
Not open for further replies.