• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happened to cheap Virgin Senior tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosherB

Established Member
Last March a bunch of us travelled from Wilmlsow to Bletchley and back to visit Bletchley Park. We left Wilmslow around 8:00am and because we had senior rail cards the fare was about £35 instead of about £160 or more.

Just looked at repeating the trip this year. Normal fare is £178 return, reduced to £117.50 with SRC! You can do Wilmslow - Euston return at any time with a SRC for £47.65 return!

What's happened to that senior concession? Why has it leapt from about £35 last year to over £117 this year? <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
The Virgin railcard easement allowing peak travel with off-peak tickets and railcards has been changed. It is now only applied where the entire journey is on Virgin. So you would have to split tickets to take advantage of it.

calc7

Established Member
Buy a ticket to Milton Keynes Central and a further one to Bletchley.
For the Virgin journey you will typically change at Crewe onto the service to/from Chester.

CosherB

Established Member
Thanks for that - I can do Wil - MK return for £37.30 (on the 08:11) and MK - Blet return for £2.30. £39.60 total, so only a bit more than last year.

Brucey

The senior railcard concession is 34% discount. The reason why it was cheaper last year would have been because you booked an advance fare which perhaps isn't available this year.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The senior railcard concession is 34% discount. The reason why it was cheaper last year would have been because you booked an advance fare which perhaps isn't available this year.

Virgin allow railcard holders to travel at the off peak rate at any time. However this doesn't apply to "Virgin and Connections" any more - only journeys that are completely on Virgin.

dggar

I am thinking about a visit travelling from Manchester in early July.

How long would it take to do comfortable visit of the Bletchley park site?

I have found a single(with senior rail card) from Man Pic(10:15) which will get me there at 12:17 for £6.95 on 3rd July.

Are ther any suggestions for splitting on the return leg.

Thanks in advance.

calc7

Established Member
I am thinking about a visit travelling from Manchester in early July.

How long would it take to do comfortable visit of the Bletchley park site?

I have found a single(with senior rail card) from Man Pic(10:15) which will get me there at 12:17 for £6.95 on 3rd July.

Are ther any suggestions for splitting on the return leg.

Thanks in advance.

If bought on the Virgin website, you can buy a "Saver Half" ticket. It is basically a half-price Off-Peak Single. As you have a railcard, this will be valid for travel on any Virgin train. This will give you the flexibility on the day. I haven't got the means to check at the moment but I would guess this ticket would set you back no more than £20.

Status
Not open for further replies.