• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happening with the track between Meldon and Okehampton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Fingers crossed then. I've had many a nice pasty in there !
A show of community support as early as possible would help focus minds on the question - I'd suggest contacting the heritage society first to establish what the current situation is then contact whoever will be making the decision on managing the station to express your support for the community business currently there.

bramling

Veteran Member
Sad, yes, but countered by the fact that the line has returned to the national network; is going to be maintained to a higher standard; will have a resinstated passenger service between Exeter & Okehampton; and freight might even return to a re-opened quarry providing much needed jobs. On balance, I'd say that's a win.

With regard to Sir Felix Pole's post above, I wonder who now owns the Okehampton station footbridge - hopefully Network Rail, as occupations will be needed to do any significant future work on it? Looking at my Ordnance Survey map I assume the "to be replaced" Greenslade bridge is the one where the line crosses over the B3215.

Yes on balance I’d say the line reopening with a regular passenger service is the best outcome.

Hopefully stuff like the 205s will find a suitable home on a preserved railway elsewhere, so it’s win-win all round really. I’m not sure the loss of an occasional service up to Meldon is the end of the world.

davetheguard

Established Member
If they end up managing the station, yes. They would be able to decide to charge commercial rent (either fixed or percentage of takings), costs or let them have it for a token amount. Or do something else entirely. GWR have a pretty good record with community groups and friends of on the West Country branches.

If GWR lease the entire upside platform & buildings from Network Rail, GWR would be the company to approach to rent out the buffet. However, I suppose it's possible GWR might just lease the platform & car park areas (and not the buildings); in which case the buffet would be rented direct from Network Rail.

zwk500

Veteran Member
If GWR lease the entire upside platform & buildings from Network Rail, GWR would be the company to approach to rent out the buffet. However, I suppose it's possible GWR might just lease the platform & car park areas (and not the buildings); in which case the buffet would be rented direct from Network Rail.
Indeed. Or NR could lease out the entire building (or even sell it) to the heritage society, who would then be free to run the buffet for their own benefit (or use it to fund the lease). You could even have the situation where GWR lease the platform and car park from NR, and rent an office from the heritage society in the building. I suspect NR are looking to have the smallest day-to-day involvement in the managing of the station as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.